SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    * connection is not secure ( when I log in to S.F. )

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
* connection is not secure ( when I log in to S.F. ) Login/Join 
posted
There is a little padlock with a red line through it. next to the little purple shield.

I think that there was never a red line through it before, or am I wrong ?

who or what decides weather the connection is secure , or not .

is your connection secure ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54625 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Mine has said "not secure" for quite awhile.

I'm not sure what the heck it means. I've very secure.. Wink

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Many browsers warn if the site you are going to is not https: but rather http: Not a big deal unless you are going to be entering confidential information.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Report This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Might be best asked in the SIGforum Office section. It's the same on mine. I think Para has addressed this before when asked.

Just don't order sushi from the classifieds.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You got to have the secret code. Wink

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Obviously, someone hasn't signed his waiver.

Posts: 6466 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There's no reason for Sigforum to use a secure connection. You're not transmitting any information that needs to be secured, like personal identity info, bank account or credit card info, or the like.

So there's nothing of value to a hacker being transmitted, as long as you're not using the same password for every website you visit. (You aren't, are you? That's considered to be a Very Bad Thing...)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
That has been true for quite some time now and those who were concerned the last time it was discussed here have evidently gotten over their angst or found a secure site with all the information this provides.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
A short primer on https versus http:

Communications between a client and a server always assumes the client is trusted. It's the server's responsibility to confirm its identity. In typical webspeak, http makes the assumption that both client and server are who they say they are. However, with all of the identity breaches these days, more and more sites are installing certificates from trusted Certificate Authorities (CA). When you use https, you are asking for a certificate exchange to confirm the server is indeed, who it claims to be (side note: browsers also have certificates from trusted CAs).

There are three levels of authentication available: Required, requested and none. There is also mutual authentication, which is also a setting. All of this is managed through your browser "cookies."

So, in essence, SigForum is available through http, which does not require a secure handshake. No need to worry, unless you started including personally identifiable information (PII) in your posts.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
No need to worry, unless you started including personally identifiable information (PII) in your posts.

And if you did, a secure connection wouldn't help with that. This is a public forum, and you don't have to be logged in, or even have an account at all, in order to read every post.

So if you're posting PII in the open here, it's going to be read by anyone and everyone, secure connection or not.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
There's no reason for Sigforum to use a secure connection. You're not transmitting any information that needs to be secured, like personal identity info, bank account or credit card info, or the like.

So there's nothing of value to a hacker being transmitted, as long as you're not using the same password for every website you visit. (You aren't, are you? That's considered to be a Very Bad Thing...)

Which is enough reason on its own, since most folks aren't aware of the problem.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8673 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Wait, most people aren't aware that they shouldn't reuse the same password between all websites?! That's like Rule #2 of passwords, right behind Don't use "password" as your password.

Even besides non-secured online transmissions being potentially intercepted, forums and other less secure websites are constantly being hacked, and the usernames, account email addresses, and passwords stolen. (This is not a new or obscure issue.)

So if Joe Hacker is able to easily snag your email address and password by lackadaisically breaking into the minimally secure "Tony's Tractor Talk" forum, or the customer database at "Best Begonias and Bagels" where you placed an online order that one time 7 years ago, he shouldn't be able to turn around and log into your ultra secure bank account simply by using that same email and password. Or log into your email account by using that same password. Or really any other online account by using that same email and password.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:

That described me some years back but the forum turned me onto such a thing known as a password manager.
The things I've learned here.

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I use four different passwords on the innernet,

for four separate places

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54625 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's no reason for Sigforum to use a secure connection.

That is simply not true. There are many good reasons every web site should use HTTPS, and only HTTPS. But SF's management has consciously chosen not to, so I'll not belabor the point.

quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Which is enough reason on its own, since most folks aren't aware of the problem.

"Since..." what?!?! In the realm of network security "What they don't know won't hurt them" most certainly does not apply.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
But SF's management has consciously chosen not to, so I'll not belabor the point.
You want to talk out of your ass, do it somewhere else, professor.

Yeah, you're in real danger here, and it's our fault. So Goddamned ridiculous and pointless. Feel better, professor? You don't have the slightest fucking idea of what choices I have with this setup. Damn, how silly.

Posts: 107554 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post