SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    List things from your Youth that do not exist in today's world
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

List things from your Youth that do not exist in today's world Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:

Remember real toy departments in the department stores?
Department stores used to advertise for part-time seasonal help for the Christmas shopping season.

It was 1960 or 61, I did some moonlight extra work at Gimbel's in NYC. I worked in the toy department, I demo'd and sold toys. One of the big favorites that year was Robbie the Robot. He could be made to sneak up behind an unsuspecting shopper and grab her ankle.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cigarette commercials? “Winston tastes good, like a (boom boom) cigarette should!”

“Should a gentleman offer a lady a Tiparillo?”

“Cigars, cigarettes, Tiparillos?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDGzd2HcEpo

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Skelly, Fina, Sinclair, Enco, Esso gas stations.

Some Sinclair stations had a big green brontosaurus statue on the premises.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
The rifle range in the basement of my high school in Suburban Chicago. (Park Ridge/Des Plaines)

Which HS if you don't mind me asking?

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least in my area:

Calvin & Hobbes in the newspaper.
Gas under $1.
Fireflies/lightning bugs.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
San Francisco Gun Exchange (A massive gun store in the middle of downtown SF? How can that be?)

That place was awesome. I used to go in there to look at the wall-to-wall ARs before I was even interested in guns. And 2 blocks from Market Street!

The owner had massive amounts of Randal Knives in stock. I bought a S&W Model 66 3" overrun part of a group made for Secret Service or the FBI in the early 90's sold it later without having fired it, wish I had known what I had then.

James

We the unappreciated
must do the unimaginable
and see the unthinkable
to protect the ungrateful

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Eastern Airlines, Western Airlines, Pacific Southwestern Airlines (defunct in 1988).

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29693 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just in case it has not already mentioned -

the t.v. “clicker”.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cigarette commercials? “Winston tastes good, like a (boom boom) cigarette should!”
That one has always bothered me, because it reinforces a grammatical mistake. It should have been "Winston tastes good, AS a cigarette should!" No one would have noticed that it was correct if they had used the correct form, and it would not have encouraged generations of folks to use the incorrect form in other sentences..

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 64dodge:
Summer evenings, laying on the floor next to my father listening to Ernie Harwell and Ray Lane call the Tigers game on WJR. What I wouldn't give to experience that one more time.
I had an aunt who did her ironing listening to the daytime Tigers games. She usually managed a shirt per half inning!

I grew up in Detroit, 1942-1960.

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I came into this one late, so sorry if any of these have already been mentioned.

-Smear the queer
-Playing soccer in the street until 11pm and seeing the commercial on TV "It's eleven o'clock. Do you know where your children are?"
-Laser video disc (as big as a 12" record)
-VHS/Beta
-Shooting a BB-gun within city limits (in CA!)
-"Best" retail store
-Mervyns
-Toys R Us
-Gottshalks
-Blockbuster Video
-Music on MTV & VH1
-No reality shows
-Family friendly TV series
-"Spoons" Tex-Mex grills
-Grandy's restaruant
-Youth rifle team in schools

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
At least in my area:

Calvin & Hobbes in the newspaper.
Gas under $1.
Fireflies/lightning bugs.

I hear gas in Texas is $1.69, in 1970 dollars, that's 25 cents/gallon. Not a dollar, but possibly the lowest price some people have ever paid, even if they've been buying gas for decades.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I can remember gas for 19 cents a gallon, McDonald's fries for 15 cents and their burgers for 19 cents (and they actually tasted pretty good).

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Full Service" gas station. They would pump your gas, wash your windows, check the air in your tires, and maybe even give you "trading stamps" for $0.30+/-.....$0.19 during a gas war.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 726 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Bill Knapp's restaurants

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
The free standing X-Ray machine that was common in the larger shoe stores (Thompson Boland Lee in Atlanta had one)...sticking their feet in to see their bones was the first thing kids wanted when they came in Eek

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I traveled the highway of life, hoping that the next Howard Johnson really would have 28 flavors.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Don't know if anyone said this one already or not...

A milkman.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
List things from your Youth that do not exist in today's world

My hair.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Don't know if anyone said this one already or not...

A milkman.

Tony.
Yep. Several. My dad was a Milkman ("Retail Milk Salesman" with a truck) for a number of years--until the supermarkets started using milk as a "loss leader" and underpriced milk from the milkman.

flashguy