SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    List things from your Youth that do not exist in today's world
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

List things from your Youth that do not exist in today's world Login/Join 
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Hitchhiking.

Growing up, it was the main way to get from here to there. Not so much anymore.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Cap guns
Pay phones

Cap guns are still around....my son did halloween as a Texas Ranger....and me being me had to kit him out properly and found a pretty good cap peacemaker.

Jarts....looking back that's a good thing...we used to see how close we get to the other feet.....or throwing them straight up and dodging them Eek

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Summer evenings, laying on the floor next to my father listening to Ernie Harwell and Ray Lane call the Tigers game on WJR. What I wouldn't give to experience that one more time.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Cruising REAL hot rods on Saturday night that always ended up with a bunch of us heading out to a secluded country road to see who could blow who's doors off. My 69 Camaro and 71 Roadrunner certain had their glory days.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
An ass whoopin from teacher or principal

This right here had me laughing! I had my share and somone else's!!! LOL

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Oldsmobile. Pontiac. AMC. Studebaker. Avanti. Ontario Motor Speedway.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Lil' Indian mini-bikes
Greenie Stick'em caps
Kenner Girder and Panel building sets
Playgrounds with monkey bars
S&H Green Stamps
Gas Stations that gave out glassware with a fill-up
Book Covers for your school books
Charles Chips deliveries

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't read through all the replies, so I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but I can remember when our phone number was only 4 digits.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Rotary phones,
B&W TV,
Test patterns at midnight
telephone party lines,
milk man at the door 2 days a week,
diaper pickup service,
doctors house calls
.25 gas
pay phones,
phone booths
Colored Only restrooms/water fountains
Lines on the floor of a city bus dividing black and white

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Phone numbers with a word for a prefix:

WIndsor6-2820

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Television commercials etched into your memory when set to a tune. Most Chicagoans will recognize HUDSON THREE TWO SEVEN HUNDRED an ad for a carpet cleaning company.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

Oldsmobile. Pontiac. AMC. Studebaker. Avanti.
Hudson. Packard. Kaiser-Frazer. Henry J. Allstate. Eagle.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
No phone
An outhouse.
A one room school.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Drinking out of the hose
Tonka trucks made of steel
Laying in the back window of my grandpa Oldsmobile and asking him to hit the breaks so I could fly forward...
Stay at home Moms
Erector Sets

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
-Drive-in theaters.
-Chicago hard rolls delivered to the Front door each week-day by the local bakery (but that was in Germany where I grew up in the 60’s and 70’s)

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Phone numbers with a word for a prefix:

WIndsor6-2820

Another flashback!

As a kid, our home phone (a party line) was JUniper2-3638. Ring code was a long and a short IIRC.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a BIC pen commercial where they shot it out of a .22 through a piece of plywood, and it would still write -

Timex watches - takes a licking and keeps on ticking - didn’t they do a commercial where they put a watch on an airplane propeller and flew it around, landed and then checked it? Still ticking.

JC Penneys used to sell guns, camping gear and tools.

Remember real toy departments in the department stores? Numerous aisles, toy guns, Tonka trucks, building sets, slot cars, Lionel trains & their Christmas train display?

How about when men whistled a tune? Some were really good at it, beautiful even. My Dad was pretty good.

Franks and beans in the can from Cambell’s soup. Dished into a mess kit on the Coleman stove, camping in the back yard. High living it was.

Schwinn bikes - rode mine all over creation.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Timex watches - takes a licking and keeps on ticking - didn’t they do a commercial where they put a watch on an airplane propeller and flew it around, landed and then checked it? Still ticking.

^^^^^^
Yep. John Cameron Swazey narrated.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cigarette commercials? “Winston tastes good, like a (boom boom) cigarette should!”

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post