SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    List things from your Youth that do not exist in today's world
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

List things from your Youth that do not exist in today's world Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
Remember seeing "High Flight" followed by the National Anthem before going off the air at night?

Yes!

The version I recall featured a T38 and was narrated by William Conrad

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Childhood diseases, especially polio. Thank God.

Posts: 602 | Location: NW Pa. USA | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah almost forgot
S&H Green Stamps we got all kinds of cool chit!!

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Real donuts. Frown

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Bombers and Tankers on hard alert 24x7 365 days a year at SAC Bases.

The Berlin Wall.

The Soviet Union.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
Remember seeing "High Flight" followed by the National Anthem before going off the air at night?

Originally posted by MNSIG:
Yes! The version I recall featured a T38 and was narrated by William Conrad

Ha! I remember the version with William Conrad and an F-15. Even as a young child, I was a night owl, and I would watch TV into the wee hours when I could. I felt a sense of victory when I could stay awake to the sign-off, especially KCRA Sacramento's "High Flight" followed by the annoying "Bluebird of Happiness" song in the 1980s.

I also felt a sense of pride when I was young and I could outlast HBO programming to its sign off when HBO wasn't 24 hours yet.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
The "in living color on NBC" peacock logo.
(I know NBC still uses a peacock logo; this is the one from my childhood.)

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc8tWbjBcAc

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
Ridgid Tool Company calendars with pin-ups

I still have several of the Snap-On cheesecake calendars stacked up on a nail in my garage. The oldest one dates back to 1986.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of good ones mentioned. Just a couple others I remember are:
Blackjack gum
Wooden phone booths
Bakery trucks selling pastries, like ice cream trucks, on the street
Gas Wars - saw gas as low as 10¢ a gallon
15¢ hamburgers
Paying $125 for a used ‘56 Chevy

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 810 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Banana Flip snack cakes.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The corner store bakery, the quad cities had at least a dozen of them at one time, long ago. Now only four left. And! Not one of them makes pecan sticky bun rolls.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I recall a knife sharpening truck that came through the neighborhood every once in a while.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Air raid/nuclear fall out drills.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we need another Paul Harvey and another ed sullivan

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Getting lined up for shots in grade school (Polio, I think) with the nurse using the same needle on everyone, holding it in a candle flame between each application.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Civility and manners.

Posts: 230 | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post