SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Were you born a good shooter?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Were you born a good shooter? Login/Join 
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I'm OK. I can hit the broad side of a barn. Big Grin

Posts: 5301 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:Take one course that I teach. The prereq is the ability to hit a man sized target from the holster at seven yards in 1.5 seconds on demand. After the lecture on the first day, guess what the first round fired is for time and score? Yep, one round from the holster in 1.5. About 20-30 percent make it. Now, the prereq says you have to have the skill to do it on demand.

While I understand that it is a prerequisite for your class, that may or may not be a good measure of a "good shooter". There are probably a lot of old school bullseye shooters that couldn't do it, but could knock the lights out at small targets or long ranges.

Then a bullseye shooter probably shouldn’t take that class.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

Agreed, but I still think they could be considered a good shooter.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I am a very good shooter. This was taught, it was beaten into my skull from the beginning. I really started at 11, my uncle had a very strict regimen he put me through with chanting and all sorts of weird stuff. Archery with a peep sight and site taught me everything I could ever want to know about sight picture, stance, and follow through. Treating shooting like a perishable skill maintains the progress I have made.

Just measuring groups is not the measure of a shooter.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guardianangel762:
I am a very good shooter. This was taught, it was beaten into my skull from the beginning. I really started at 11, my uncle had a very strict regimen he put me through with chanting and all sorts of weird stuff. Archery with a peep sight and site taught me everything I could ever want to know about sight picture, stance, and follow through. Treating shooting like a perishable skill maintains the progress I have made.

Just measuring groups is not the measure of a shooter.

I don't give a hoot about groups unless it's are they both "A"s or did I hit the steel?

To the bulls eye shooter they'd probably have an heart attack.

So I guess it depends on what disciplines you shoot.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think there is some truth to being born good or natural. I am not a good shooter. I have my own little range and I get to shoot a lot. I'm just very average. Guys come to shoot with me and often out shoot me. They rarely get to shoot, but do better than me or as good as me.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I was born a good shooter and have been continually improving. Now when I'm doing double taps, I have to concentrate to keep from putting both bullets into the same hole. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15481 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I took to firearms right away, I did not grow up around them though. My parents were not “anti gun”, they just weren’t interested and Dad didn’t hunt. I was CONSTANTLY drawing pictures of handguns in and my school folders growing up. My parents didn’t know what to think of my fascination with guns. Finally at 19, a good friend I’d met taught me the basics and safety. The hook was set even further. I turned 21 and bought a Gen 2 Glock 17. Then I became an FFL. I can’t say I’m a phenomenal shooter, but it’s in my blood. I’m on FFL number three now and also hold an SOT. There’s no end in sight.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
I'm decent with a rifle, but was puzzled for the longest time why my groups were all over with a handgun. After going online and reading about how handguns "fit" people differently and various ways to hold them, things got better. What made a big difference was reading about eye dominance, something I had never heard before. Finding out I'm left eye dominant as a right handed shooter and practicing as such made me better.

Now, due to a jacked up left eye, I'm right/right and relearning.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
Quote from another forum

Too many shooters think shooting hundreds of rounds every weekend makes them a better shooter. In most cases it does not. Go back and analyze your dry practice vs. live practice. If your not improving I would bet its because your shooting but not really training. Dry practice includes visualization. When you finally really see what's going on when executing a great shot, you will know you're doing right. There will be no doubts. I know it's not as much fun, but if you want to get better you gotta do it. Trigger, trigger, trigger.

I know plenty of people that practice practice practice and still can’t put 15 rounds in one ragged hole at 7 yards taking their time. I think it’s more than just practice and technique. I think there’s an innate component to it.

Training.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6313 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:Speed is one thing, but the process to hit the target another, but hitting the target in a bullseye match ore in one of jjones classes requires the same skills. Speed comes with the skill but is a matter of training. There is no short cut in Shooting.

I am not familiar with all the rules of Bullseye, but didn't think it involved drawing from a holster. Perhaps I'm wrong.

we dont draw. The pistol is held in a 45° ready position.

45 to the target is international pistol rules. NRA bullseye allows pointing at the target at the start of the string of fire.

About half the BE shooters I know shoot other pistol disciplines. I'm not an action shooter and I can meet Jjones 1.5 second draw and shoot standard. All it takes is training.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I was always a good shot. I can't remember the first time I ever shot a gun. I must have been around 6. I remember hitting cans when we were out camping and my dad bought me a Daisy Powerline 880 as a kid. I would shoot in the backyard every day (in the 1980s' when you were still allowed to shoot BB guns in the backyard in California).

We had no birds in our neighborhood; I shot them all. We had an orange and a nectarine tree in the backyard and I'd shoot the fruit off the trees.

Then I grew up and joined the Marines and really learned how to shoot. I've just got better and better ever since. I actually learned to shoot pistols by reading articles and watching videos that were linked here on SigForum. I'd practice dry-firing every day when I was single. After I got remarried, that would probably seem creepy to the new wife.

Whenever I take people to the range, I usually end up teaching them or others around me how to shoot as well as fixing their guns (has happened multiple times since the RO's learned that I'm an M14/M1A guru).

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Good shooter? Hell, I was born to live by the gun. Roll Eyes

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I am unfortunately not a good shot. My brother is marginally better (boy I hate to admit that). My dad grew up poor, and if he didn't shoot it, his family didn't eat. To this day, he can pick up a pistol and shoot things at 50 yards I can't reliably hit at 15. My uncle Paul was even better. He could repeatedly draw from a holster, take 6 shotgun shells off of a fence row at 50 yards, and be back in the holster within a couple of seconds. It really was a treat to watch. I really think if he had different circumstances he probably could have been competitive with the "elite" shooters of our time, which is something I will never be able to do regardless of time spent training.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post