SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Were you born a good shooter?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Were you born a good shooter? Login/Join 
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
I was not born a good shooter. What I can today took me a long time of practicing with an Olympic air pistol at 10m/11yds. It was my basics for 25m competetive taget shooting.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Pistols yes. Shotguns yes. Rifle at long distances, still needs work.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
As a kid I could shoot a rifle pretty well, but was terrible with a pistol. I had to work at those.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leavemebe:
I have always been very good with a rifle. A pistol is a different story. I have improved my pistol skills with practice but it has been work.

This is me also. For me, pistol takes a decent amount of work. I immediately took to rifle shooting though.

My son, since he was 8 yo, is a natural born all-around shooter. At an early age, he was a better rifle shooter than most of the regular adult shooters at our club. The ROs treated him like Harry Potter. As he got older, he was a natural shooting pistols also. Now 19 yo, he doesn't get to the range too often, school and all, but the last few times with him, he has not lost his touch.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good with handguns, not so much long guns except AR's. At 10 or 11 I was shooting Neco wafers at 15 yards with a High Standard target .22. I've always been lazy, though, and I hate competition so I never really competed. I was always good with the M-16, I could easily hit 250 and 300 yard targets, same with the .30 cal carbine.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how much I was "born with" vs. developing basic weapon skills from martial arts that directly translated to firearms. At any rate, in my 30s I went shooting with some cooworkers, all of whom had been shooting most of their lives. It was my second time shooting handguns at all, the first time some 10 years earlier.

I dramatically out-shot all of them, creating tiny little ragged holes at any range with whatever they handed me. 9mm pistols, a Bryce SNS, revolvers. Finally one or them handed me his Colt Python .357 and pushed the target out to 15 yards.

This first time shooting a magnum I scored 3 out of six headshots. All shots were within a 6" circle. Years later I would repeat a similar performance with a .44 Magnum (first shot at 7 yards was on the top edge of the target circle; now knowing how the weapon was sighted, I proceeded to put the remaining rounds through the bull).

Years later I would put firearm skills to practical use shooting a centerfire rifle for the first time. After inventing the Accu-strut, I found I was a good enough rifle shooter as well to perform most of my own testing.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say I was a born shooter but I am certainly better with a rifle than I am with a pistol

I just need more range time...something sorely lacking in my life but its like anything else - it will become important again soon enough for me to go out and exercise my ammo

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
No. It's a daily struggle. After 60 years of practice I still do not consider myself a "good shooter"

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Yes with a shotgun/rifle.

Not as much with a pistol.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
My nephew was a naturally good shooter. Me, I really have to shoot a lot to keep up. I do pretty well but I'm not a natural. Smile

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2762 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Archery? Yes. Completely natural. I shot instinctual for many years. I just simply can't miss unless I try. I don't know how to explain it, but I've just got it, whatever "it" is. I actually do better without sights than I do with.

Rifle? Mostly yes. I'm not the guy that will consistently shoot dime-sized groups, but I can, and have always been able to, do a few inch groups at pretty much any distance. Don't know how or why.

Shotgun? As a kid, I couldn't hit a barn. I spent one season after school every day hunting pheasants and huns and one day a switch just flipped and it became natural. Swing, squeeze, kill. If you want good practice, go after huns. Them little bastards are fast.

Pistol? None of the above. It is something that I've always struggled with. I am good enough, but nowhere near as good as I'd like to be.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I read things such as this thread, I think about a quote my wife uses to motivate her: "talent is wanting something bad enough to work for it."

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See my tag line Mad

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I thought I was a good shot till the Precision Pistol bug (bullseye) bit me.

It is very challenging to say the least.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Maybe. I can say that I took to it naturally.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
When I was born, the only thing I was good at was making shit out of strained peas. I had to learn everything else.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I was an easy and natural shooter up until about age 30. After that, eyesight started to go, and it has been all downhill from there.

I'm getting to the point where glasses with a front sight focal length will be a necessity.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
My ancestors, and those of many here I suspect, lived in rural areas in much leaner times and were expected to make every shot count if they wanted to eat well.

Apparently, Grandpappy Apprentice on my Father's side was convinced that if you could see it you should damn well be able to hit it. He would demonstrate this with empty .22 casings placed nose first into trees that he'd then make disappear with a bullet.

Not sure how many generations are required for it to become a matter of evolution. My guess, looking back on it, is that knowing about my family's track record set the bar rather high for me.

As for the environment/practice time aspect, I was also raised in small town America where there were likely more guns than people.

So yes, it all seemed quite natural to me back then. Now? I should practice more often.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Yes

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I wasn’t. I think it’s my long ass arms.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post