SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Roy Moore wins primary over Luther Strange
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roy Moore wins primary over Luther Strange Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
So all there is is a woman making an accusation about something that may have happened nearly 40 years ago? And she's doing it only a month before a special election that really puts the balance of power of the Senate in jeopardy?

Yeah, I'm buying it. Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Awhile ago, on Outnumbered, the ex State Department harpie, now a “personality” sometimes on Fox, said there were only 100 Senators and she thought they should be outstanding, upstanding, true and pure, people of integrity, words to that effect.

I’ve never tweeted, nor have aspired to, until now.

I wanted to immediately respond, “oh, you mean like the Kennedys? LBJ? John Edwards?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
This is so obvious, it is transparent. Pure Dim politics.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
McCain should take his own advice. Every word uttered is just more proof that he could care less about the American people. I would love to see some allegations drop against him. From "unnamed sources" would be fine.

You mean like the whole savings and loan debacle?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
McCain should take his own advice. Every word uttered is just more proof that he could care less about the American people. I would love to see some allegations drop against him. From "unnamed sources" would be fine.

You mean like the whole savings and loan debacle?

The NY Times did a hit piece on McCain in final part of the 2008 campaign, alleging that he was having an affair with a lobbyist. Republicans rallied around McCain at the time.

Now he stabs Moore in the back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...lobbyist_controversy

He's a narcissist scumbag who needs to go away, the sooner the better.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
This is the same Roy Moore who as a judge decided he wasn't enforcing a law he disagreed with, right? I thought we liked judges to enforce all of the laws, not just the ones that they agree with.

You know, judicial activism, legislating from the bench - all that stuff.

There are plenty of reasons to think he is a poor choice for the Senate. Whoever said it above is right. Moore is a kook.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
McCain has admitted to numerous affairs while married to his first wife.

McCain 2008: "My greatest moral failing – and I have been a very imperfect person – is the failure of my first marriage. It's my greatest moral failure."

But McCain jumps right on a charge against Moore made just before the election by someone who herself said “There is no one here that doesn’t know that I’m not an angel,” .

and never made any public claims about Moore for the last 38 years.

Posts: 19558 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
This is the same Roy Moore who as a judge decided he wasn't enforcing a law he disagreed with, right? I thought we liked judges to enforce all of the laws, not just the ones that they agree with.

There are plenty of reasons to think he is a poor choice for the Senate. Whoever said it above is right. Moore is a kook.

I agree with you and the activist judge bit, but he is the choice that energed from the electoral process. I probably would not vote for him based on the antics as a judge, but this tactic of suddenly exposing long ago claims of misconduct, at a time when it is most damaging to the party he was selected by, is unacceptable, tawdry and contemptible.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

I agree with you and the activist judge bit, but he is the choice that energed from the electoral process. I probably would not vote for him based on the antics as a judge, but this tactic of suddenly exposing long ago claims of misconduct, at a time when it is most damaging to the party he was selected by, is unacceptable, tawdry and contemptible.

I don't disagree with you concerning these ancient allegations and the timing of their "discovery." (Although if they are true, most members here have expressed strong disapproval of child molesters.)

I wouldn't support him because of his conduct as a judge, either, but the voters in Alabama don't see it my way.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't disagree with you concerning these ancient allegations and the timing of their "discovery." (Although if they are true, most members here have expressed strong disapproval of child molesters.)

I wouldn't support him because of his conduct as a judge, either, but the voters in Alabama don't see it my way.

I agree with the statement made by Sarah Sanders on behalf of the President:

On Friday, the White House weighed in, Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders telling reporters that while the accusations thus far are "mere allegation," if they prove to be true, Trump believes Moore "will do the right thing and step aside."

"Like most Americans, the president believes we cannot allow a mere allegation, in this case one from many years ago, to destroy a person’s life," Sanders told reporters. "However, the president also believes that if these allegations are true, Judge Moore will do the right thing and step aside."

Having said that, It's a tricky situation....
It's too late for another Republican, and I wouldn't want to just cede the balance of power in the Senate to the GDC Democrats. Unproven allegations.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24050 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Although you or I wouldn't ceed control of the Senate based on unfounded, ancient allegations, it appears McCain and McConnell have no such reservations. I guess leadership is a little too much for Mitch to bear, he'd rather let Schumer do it.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The choice for Alabamians is pretty simple.

You cannot vote for a democrat who could turn the balance of the Senate and give control to Chuck Schumer based on unproven (and probably unprovable) 40 year old allegations that have not come to light despite Moore's 40 years in public positions and multiple statewide elections.

You vote for Moore, whether you like him or not, and if the allegations are proven later and he is removed, the republican governor appoints a replacement until an election can be held.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
McCain and McConnell have no such reservations.

They are the reason along with a couple more, the Republican "majority" isn't a real majority.

Here's what the voters in Alabama think:

With the special election just weeks away, Republican Roy Moore and Democrat Doug Jones are essentially tied in the latest Opinion-Savvy poll of likely Alabama voters.

In the previous survey, Moore lead Jones by 5.7%. Jones holds a sixteen point lead among women, while Moore enjoys a twenty point lead among men. Beyond the horse race between the two declared candidates, voters were also asked about the allegations that broke in the Washington Post yesterday, and if Moore should withdraw from the race over them. An overwhelming share of those surveyed- 82.2%- were aware of the allegations. A majority of voters- 54%- do not think Moore should withdraw at this time. Among Republicans, that percentage soars to 72.9%.

https://decisiondeskhq.com/new...-46-4-doug-jones-46/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24050 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Allegations, such as those against Moore, have suddenly become very popular. I'm suspicious of them, and I've seen no credible evidence to date.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8925 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Kind of reminds me of Alaska's Senator Ted Stevens race for senator in 2008. Corruption charges were alleged close to election, his poll number went down and he lost. After election charges were dropped but it was too late then. His loss and Minnesota's multiple recounts until Franken won gave the democrats 60 seats in the senate with the blessing of McCain and Collins.

At this point the democrats picking up another senate seat will insure another Neil Gorsuch could never be put on SCOTUS in 2018 if the opportunity arises. Chucky Schumer would have to approve any picks.

Posts: 9736 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
You vote for Moore, whether you like him or not, and if the allegations are proven later and he is removed, the republican governor appoints a replacement until an election can be held.

With an election in mid-December and no way to put another R on the ballot in Moore's place, this seems like the only viable strategy for Alabama Rs.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Kind of reminds me of Alaska's Senator Ted Stevens race for senator in 2008. Corruption charges were alleged close to election, his poll number went down and he lost. After election charges were dropped but it was too late then. His loss and Minnesota's multiple recounts until Franken won gave the democrats 60 seats in the senate with the blessing of McCain and Collins.

At this point the democrats picking up another senate seat will insure another Neil Gorsuch could never be put on SCOTUS in 2018 is the opportunity arises. Chucky Schumer would have to approve any picks.

Ted Stevens was indicted in August, and pushed for a speedy trial. The trial concluded in October with a guilty verdict. Stevens lost the election, but in the post trial process, the charges were dismissed before entry of judgment and sentencing.

The trial judge commissioned an independant investigation into prosecutorial irregularities and misconduct which led to Attorney General Holder moving to dismiss the charges “in the interests of justice.” One of the FBI agents participating in the case became a whistleblower, revealing very gross misconduct, failure, misleading the Court, games with witnesses, etc. The investigation report is over 500 pages, and is online.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:

With an election in mid-December and no way to put another R on the ballot in Moore's place, this seems like the only viable strategy for Alabama Rs.

If this happened to a dem candidate they would be camped at the supreme court and within days they would have a court order to delay the election or print now ballots. The timing of this is incredible and the fact that the surrender monkey McCain has already made a decision tells me all I need to know.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, these ain't Dems and they ain't in Utah and I'm not sure that Alabama voters are any more likely to listen to John McCain than the membership here.

FWIW, the fact that Chuckles Schumer hasn't said a word about this tells me all I need to know for the moment.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Anything is possible, though few things are likely.

Did they ever prove any of the things Herman Cain was accused of during the 2012 cycle? I honestly don't know. But I do know that hard-to-prove accusations coming at the perfect time in an election cycle makes me very suspicious.

While anyone guilty of the activites being thrown about is not fit to be a Senator, Moore has not been charged, let alone convicted. When/if that happens, removal is a known procedure.

If merely being accused of a serious crime makes one unfit to be a Senator, as some Ds claim, then why didn't Menendez get forced to resign?

Sad fact is, Congress needs greased skids, not airbrakes - translation: Schumer needs fewer 'no' votes, not more. So, as has been said above, vote him in and if indicted/convicted, then and only then throw him out.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post