SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Roy Moore wins primary over Luther Strange
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roy Moore wins primary over Luther Strange Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
I know nothing about this, other than accusations have been made about something that happened 30 or 40 years ago.

The fact that this comes out so close to an election and had not previously seen the light of day tells me it is purely political.

And fuck Mitch McConnell. The people of Alabama should decide not him.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24054 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
And fuck Mitch McConnell.

And many others.

I'm very disappointed in my own Senator for rescinding his endorsement of Moore over this. I don't normally waste my time corresponding to my legislators but I did send an email today expressing my displeasure at his decision.

ETA: Now Ted Cruz has jumped on the bandwagon.

quote:
“As it stands, I can’t urge the people of Alabama to support a campaign in the face of these charges without serious, persuasive demonstration that the charges are not true,” the Texas Republican told reporters, according to a Texas Tribune reporter.

Hey Senator! How about serious, persuasive demonstration that the charges ARE true.

Fuck you Cruz.

Posts: 20074 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I know nothing about this, other than accusations have been made about something that happened 30 or 40 years ago.

The fact that this comes out so close to an election and had not previously seen the light of day tells me it is purely political.

And apparently even if the people of Alabama voter for Moore, the party can invalidate the results and Moore won't be a senator? Or something? Do I have that right? And then there will have to be another special election.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:

And apparently even if the people of Alabama voter for Moore, the party can invalidate the results and Moore won't be a senator? Or something? Do I have that right? And then there will have to be another special election.

The senators can take a vote requiring a 2/3 majority to not seat him, in effect kicking him out of the Senate.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The senators can take a vote requiring a 2/3 majority to not seat him, in effect kicking him out of the Senate.

That also works to our benefit, because under that situation the governor would appoint his replacement.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
This isn't the first time Moore has been in the middle of a shit storm. If ever there was any truth to these accusations, they would have come up during the ten commandments furur even if just for the irony effect.

I'm skeptical of these accusations being that they're so close to the elections. Trump was also subjected to the same tactic.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Nothing in the statements so far give any genuine veracity to one side or the other.

We’ve never had evil, abusive men in the US Senate before, have we?

The next few Supreme Court Justices may be on the line.

Exactly right about SCOTUS and may be a primary motivation for the smear job. With asshole John McCain and one other ultra RINO senator like Collins blocking everything president Trump wants, a SCOTUS nominee will have to be someone schumer approves of who will be anti Second Amendment.

Hell seanator Ted Kennedy let a woman drown in his car because he was drunk and ran off a bridge into the water and was only worried about saving his sorry ass and delayed getting help for her contributing to her death, and he didn't get near the negative press that Roy Moore is getting from what I recall.

Senator clinton on national TV said Bill's sex crimes and accusers were part of a vast right wing conspiracy and the MSM was like - OK, case closed. Hardly a word out if the MSM when Bill settled for $800,000 with Paula Jones for sexual harassment for dropping his drawers in front of her in a room and telling her to suck it.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I believe they have to seat him if he wins. There is talk about expulsion but I believe that may be for reasons that occurred while one is a senator. How could the senate justify expelling Moore but not democrat senator Menendez who has allegations against him of having sex with underage prostitutes?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new...ds-article-1.2336046

List of senators have have been expelled or faced it and reasons why.

https://www.senate.gov/artandh...xpulsion_Censure.htm

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Date: 1893

Member: William N. Roach (D-ND)

Charge: Embezzlement

Result: Not Expelled

Note: After extensive deliberation, the Senate took no action, assuming that it lacked jurisdiction over members' behavior before their election to the Senate. The alleged embezzlement had occurred 13 years earlier.

Even IF the allegations are true, it seems that there is precedent.

Posts: 20074 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Date: 1893

Member: William N. Roach (D-ND)

Charge: Embezzlement

Result: Not Expelled

Note: After extensive deliberation, the Senate took no action, assuming that it lacked jurisdiction over members' behavior before their election to the Senate. The alleged embezzlement had occurred 13 years earlier.

Even IF the allegations are true, it seems that there is precedent.

Excellent! Though I don't believe the allegations are true. I have experienced a lot of outward appearance "very credible" people lie to my face for various reasons including trying to get someone in trouble/fired that they did not like or scamming me.

Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
So what about this guy Menendez, democratic senator from NJ? He's on trial now for accepting money and favors - and some of these favors included trips to Latin America where he had "dalliances" with underage girls. Yet, nobody from the media or the senate is calling for his resignation.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I think if Moore hangs tough he will win this. The people of Alabama will shove him right up McConnell’s ass.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Latest: Moore banned from Gadsden Mall over interaction with teens.

Proof? Bueller? Bueller?

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Latest: Moore banned from Gadsden Mall over interaction with teens.

WTH is even there? Sears, Radio Shack and a Blockbuster?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12399 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
How reputable is AL.com?

It's a big media conglomerate formed when the internet came about and the newspapers started dying. It's the newspapers from B'ham, Huntsville, Montgomery and Mobile, among others that came together and this is the website for all of them.
http://www.alabamamediagroup.com/

I heard another possible ploy. Have Moore step down (although his name is still on the ballot), have Richard Shelby (current Alabama senator) as a write in candidate - when he wins that seat the Al governor would appoint a replacement for his now vacated seat, ensuring Republicans retain control.

I don't see a write in candidate winning any statewide election, though. I think any such campaign or attempt would simply ensure that the democrat would be elected.

If anything, the voters need to let the Senate work it out - expel, refuse to seat - whatever they want to do AFTER the election when these claims can be properly vetted and not a rush to judgement.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
It's all too neat, from the same media that has been creating lies about Trump and collusion, the same media that couldn't find uranium one if it was up their Uranus. At this point I don't trust a single story, bring them to court, get them all under oath and let's see the result. If I was in AL, I would vote Moore and ride it out. Is up to the citizens of the state of AL. And Fuck Bitch McConnell and all the other swamp creatures.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
How reputable is AL.com?

It's a big media conglomerate formed when the internet came about and the newspapers started dying. It's the newspapers from B'ham, Huntsville, Montgomery and Mobile, among others that came together and this is the website for all of them.
http://www.alabamamediagroup.com/

I heard another possible ploy. Have Moore step down (although his name is still on the ballot), have Richard Shelby (current Alabama senator) as a write in candidate - when he wins that seat the Al governor would appoint a replacement for his now vacated seat, ensuring Republicans retain control.

I don't see a write in candidate winning any statewide election, though. I think any such campaign or attempt would simply ensure that the democrat would be elected.

If anything, the voters need to let the Senate work it out - expel, refuse to seat - whatever they want to do AFTER the election when these claims can be properly vetted and not a rush to judgement.

Which is exactly why this was done, right out of the God Damned Commie playbook.

Go back to Illinois when Obama ran for Senate against Jack Ryan. Ryan was divorced from Seven of Nine Jeri Ryan, transcripts of rhe proceedings were sealed. A judge in L.A. unsealed them revealing her accusations of aggresive sexual practices, Ryan was forced out, and the best the GOP could do was Alan Keyes, a carpet bagger who moved from Maryland to run, lost in a landslide.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
It's a mess.

The Alabama voters need to decide. There is no doubt the seat is in jeopardy now.

The truth probably lies somewhere between what the women are saying and what Roy Moore is denying.

Did the senate throw out Ted Kennedy after he left a young woman to drown in his car ? No

Even if the claims are largely true, do you ignore the last 35 years of Moore's life? I wouldn't

This is obviously a political hit job and that biases me against the women.

McConnell is no doubt quite happy. This gives him a chance to get Strange in.

Jeb Bush demands Moore to step down, but makes no comment about the multiple current claims against his own father. (Perhaps BS also, but Bush elder keeps apologizing)

If I were an Alabama voter I would let the "political hit job" aspect sway me to vote for Moore and then fight like hell to keep him from being thrown out by the senate.

Posts: 19559 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Alabama has a form of open primary. I wonder if there were some hijinks in play to tilt the vote in favor of Moore.

Well, with the God Damned Commies, you KNOW there were, just which ones?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is Moore's problem, considering he was a trial attorney, prosecutor and judge and this is the BEST answer he can give relating to dating underage girls. I would not want him taking the stand in his own defense at trial if I was his lawyer (and I have defended clients in sex cases against minors). Just say'n....

HANNITY: At that time in your life, let me ask you this you do remember these girls would it be unusual for you as a 32-year-old guy to have dated a woman as young as 17? That would be a 15 year difference or a girl 18. Do you remember dating girls that young at that time?

MOORE: Not generally, no. If did, you know, I'm not going to dispute anything but I don't remember anything like that.

HANNITY: But you don't specifically remember having any girlfriend that was in her late teens even at that time?

MOORE: I don't remember that and I don't remember ever dating any girl without the permission of her mother

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post