SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Roy Moore wins primary over Luther Strange
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roy Moore wins primary over Luther Strange Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Apparently, Gloria Allred is representing one of the accusers Roll Eyes

Funny how she keeps turning up, isn't it.

Nothing will fire up the base in Alabama like Gloria Allred attacking Moore.

I wonder if Moore's campaign is paying her retainer?? Big Grin

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
What I heard is that Allred has a new accuser.

I guess they will trot out one or two every few days until some of it sticks.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
This is the same Roy Moore who as a judge decided he wasn't enforcing a law he disagreed with, right? I thought we liked judges to enforce all of the laws, not just the ones that they agree with.

You know, judicial activism, legislating from the bench - all that stuff.

There are plenty of reasons to think he is a poor choice for the Senate. Whoever said it above is right. Moore is a kook.

What law did he not like? Maybe he didn't like it because it wasn't in line with the constitution, in which case it would be called "doing his job." But without more details (Moore details Smile ), it's hard to judge whether it was judicial activism or not.

Google will reveal all to you. He openly defied the United States Supreme Court on a constitutional ruling. Even if he thinks he is right, and they are wrong, that is judicial activism. Even if you think he is right and the Supremes are wrong, it is judicial activism. No two ways about it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
While Moore is unquestionably a judicial activist, his brand of activism is no doubt popular in those parts (he doesn't like "the gays" and thinks they shouldn't be able to marry, which can't be a rare opinion in the otherwise fine state of Alabama),

Does anyone else see an argument for federalism here?
The answers to difficult social issues should be decided by the people of the several States, not imposed by our masters in Washington, DC.

The Constitution of the United States does not define marriage, or when life begins.

The people of Alabama and the people of 'liberal' states like New York and California may see these issues quite differently.
Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

All true, but if the Supremes weigh in, they have made the law and lower ranking courts should follow it.

I agree that questions like those are not addressed by the constitution. Legislators, and state legislators in particular, should be making those decisions.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Apparently, Gloria Allred is representing one of the accusers Roll Eyes

Funny how she keeps turning up, isn't it.

Nothing will fire up the base in Alabama like Gloria Allred attacking Moore.

I wonder if Moore's campaign is paying her retainer?? Big Grin

Allred is an opportunist. She keeps turning up because she is like a fly drawn to shit. She inserts herself into these situations.

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Allred is an opportunist. She keeps turning up because she is like a fly drawn to shit. She inserts herself into these situations.

Shit and dollar signs...Like a moth to a flame!

Having a yankee, condescending, preachy, harpy attacking Moore will not hurt him in Alabama. That much we know!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
If there's ten people in Alabama who are impressed by Gloria it's because tourists are in town from out of state for a game and have bumped the number up from one or two.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who cares about Allred. What would concern me if I were an Alabama voter is the number of women, and independent witnesses that are saying that Moore is a pedophile horn dog.

Me, I believe the women. He should withdraw his candidacy and crawl back under the porch.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dresden:
Who cares about Allred. What would concern me if I were an Alabama voter is the number of women, and independent witnesses that are saying that Moore is a pedophile horn dog.

Me, I believe the women. He should withdraw his candidacy and crawl back under the porch.

He can't, ballots have already been printed and absentee ballots have already gone out, so his name will be on the ballot.

So you either want Schumer to control the Senate or you want the republicans. Can't have it both ways. A write in vote or a vote for the dem is a vote for Schumer, Fauxcahontas and the rest of the dem clan.

- John Adams

I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
I don't know a lot about Mr. Moore, however this latest woman appears to be credible to me. She has what the other accusers do not, dated handwritten evidence that they did indeed meet. And I would add how many 30 something year old men would write not just that, but anything in a 16 year old strangers yearbook. I don't think he will survive this latest one. I hope the Republicans don't loose this now and get a good write in candidate.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

He can't, ballots have already been printed and absentee ballots have already gone out, so his name will be on the ballot.

So you either want Schumer to control the Senate or you want the republicans. Can't have it both ways. A write in vote or a vote for the dem is a vote for Schumer, Fauxcahontas and the rest of the dem clan.

Hobson's choice, but the Senate should not include a child molester like this guy. Decent people draw the line, and don't allow the end to justify the means.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hobson's choice, but the Senate should not include a child molester like this guy.

Do you have proof, beyond the claims of a liberal rag that paid people to make accusations weeks before an election, that he is a child molester?

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
the Senate should not include a child molester

Doesn't the law define what that is? Out of curiosity, what is the age of consent in his state?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hobson's choice, but the Senate should not include a child molester like this guy. Decent people draw the line, and don't allow the end to justify the means.

Nothing in the statements so far give any genuine veracity to one side or the other.

We’ve never had evil, abusive men in the US Senate before, have we?

The next few Supreme Court Justices may be on the line.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Oh my God, man.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I know nothing of the legitimacy of this source, but AL.com has this story tonight, including claims Moore was banned from an Alabama mall in the 80s for chasing teens:

Source

Hardly iron clad evidence, but it certainly doesn't sound good and is fucked up if true.

How reputable is AL.com?

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I believe, like most others from Alabama, people will remember the age of consent is 16 years old and a gentleman gets the parents' permission before the date (as Moore is accused of doing). And in the late 70s a well to do gentleman was a great option for a mother's daughter.

Oh and the girl who, in 1978, couldn't wait for her boyfriend and decided to jump into an older man's car, a car which couldn't have had the child-proof locks she described for at least another 6 to 7 years; I call bullshit.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Would 16 yo girls in 1978 know what they were supposed to do if they found their head in a man’s crotch?

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A great many girls in their teens are well acquainted with sex, with ample appetites for it, from debutantes to nerds to trailer trash to preacher's daughters and everything in between. And a great many of them have sex with their peers at those ages, back then, and now, and at all points in between.

That's one thing, a very normal thing even, though I understand some don't approve.

But a grown-ass man (say, anyone beyond just a few years older at the absolute most) has zero business messing with girls that age, and that's another thing entirely, and IF Moore is guilty of that, he has or had serious problems and deserves zero place in our government.

The timing of this both stinks of bullshit (obviously, but that doesn't mean it's definitely NOT true) and sucks if it's true, leaving hardly no time to sort it out. If he's innocent of this, as much as I otherwise despise his kooky ass, it's better off if he's elected. But if he's guilty of chasing teen girls as an adult, he cannot be allowed to serve, at the very least.

Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about this, other than accusations have been made about something that happened 30 or 40 years ago.

The fact that this comes out so close to an election and had not previously seen the light of day tells me it is purely political.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post