SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where and which car batteries are you buying?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where and which car batteries are you buying? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Watergoat:
Costco/Interstate. Costco gives you a longer warranty on the same battery, and no bs about "we have to charge it and load test it first"

According to the Interstate guy dropping batteries off at Costco, the Interstate batteries you buy at Costco are not the same as the Interstate batteries that you buy at other shops.

Posts: 6923 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Interesting!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38712 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Deka from a local battery place.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Costco/Interstate. Costco gives you a longer warranty on the same battery, and no bs about "we have to charge it and load test it first"

According to the Interstate guy dropping batteries off at Costco, the Interstate batteries you buy at Costco are not the same as the Interstate batteries that you buy at other shops.

That could be good or bad. Costco usually sells good quality products. Deka offers a few levels of quality in their batteries and the only way you can really tell is if you look at the cranking amps and the warranty. The better battery is usually 10-15% more money, but has higher cranking amps and a longer warranty.

For my old 2008 expedition deka had 2 OE exact fit batteries, both maintenance free etc. Both are lead acid. The price difference was only around $12.

VL65 Cold cranking amps 650- 12 month warranty
765MF Cold cranking amps 750- 30 month warranty

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've always used Interstate. Howevver,when the OEM battery in my Tacoma dies, I'm contemplating a Group 34 or Group 27, either an Optima or North star. Pricey but durable and dependable with tons of cold and hot cranking power and support for extended use of accessories with engine off.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
I've always used Interstate. Howevver,when the OEM battery in my Tacoma dies, I'm contemplating a Group 34 or Group 27, either an Optima or North star. Pricey but durable and dependable with tons of cold and hot cranking power and support for extended use of accessories with engine off.

Optima's quality has dropped heavily over the last 4 years once production shifted to Mexico. I have a few boats with 3+ optima batteries in them and are stuck with them because the battery trays are cut for that weird Optima shape. I have a lot of Deka AGM's also in yachts I manage and they don't seem to last hardly any longer than regular lead acid either.....getting 2.5-3 years out of both Optima and Deka AGM.

North Star is very good quality. Odyssey is very good quality. The very best AGM is Lifeline, I've seen them go 6-8 years in a hard boat environment.

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We have an Interstate warehouse nearby. It seems like I am constantly changing batteries on something. All of our farm machinery, RTV's, mowers, trucks, and car get Interstate batteries, I just can't find anything better for the money. They won't change the battery for you but I can handle that.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Just curious.....can you explain why they are different?

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10495 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Yep, I bought into the Optima hype and bought a red top for my 2001 F-150. To date its been the shortest lived battery I've ever owned. And best of all, it came with little to no warranty and a premium price tag. Never again.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
I just replaced the battery on our Equinox over the weekend and went with another ACDelco from Menard's. 36 month free replacement for $90.

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a little of an oddball here, but I actually went with a Duracell for my 2012 Honda Odyssey.

I got it at Batteries + Bulbs, their main business is just that. I was out the door with a new one for 114 and change. One of the best parts of that place is you can see what they have in stock when you spec your battery, and if you order online for pickup, you get 10% off. It's pretty great to just roll in, they check the battery before they sell it to you, and out you go.

Posts: 797 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
There are predominately three major manufacturers of auto batteries in the US. East Penn, Exide and
Johnson Controls. Everything else is marketing.

Personally I buy them over at Sams Club or Walmart. If it ever gives me trouble, it's unlikely I'd be far from one of those retailers.

Posts: 1828 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I used to be a Sears Die Hard fan, obviously not any more. Now I am doing OEM and putting Motorcraft back in.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3795 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
There are predominately three major manufacturers of auto batteries in the US. East Penn, Exide and
Johnson Controls. Everything else is marketing.

Personally I buy them over at Sams Club or Walmart. If it ever gives me trouble, it's unlikely I'd be far from one of those retailers.

Yes, but all 3 companies make batteries at all different quality levels depending on who's rebranding them and their specifications and mainly price point.

Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
Just bought an Interstate AGM for my Lexus Hybrid.
Not cheap. $288.00 At an Interstate dealer.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I haven’t had any worse luck with Walmart batteries than any other brand. I had one that lasted nearly 10 years in an old Suburban that was parked in a garage when not being driven.

Posts: 26936 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Odyssey.

This...or Sears Platinum...which is made by Odyssey

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Certainly possible. This is common with a lot of manufacturers selling in warehouse stores. My former vendor sold at Costco. Much lower quality than the product they supplied me.

I also remember looking at a set of chef's knives from a famous German maker, but these were made in Asia under an "international" label.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Farm and Fleet Platinum for the last 3-4. Made by East Penn.

It was Interstates before that but the price went up and local availability and warranty seemed to decrease so I switched.

Posts: 928 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC Walmart has two grades - I typically buy their high level battery and have good success.

In and out in usually 15 minutes.

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post