SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where and which car batteries are you buying?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where and which car batteries are you buying? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I use Everstart batteries at Walmart. They're made by Johnson Controls, in Milwaukee.

+1

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
I go with the wal mart batteries as well. They are nationwide, so if it ever fails while traveling, a warranty replacement is simple and easy since there are so many locations. This has actually happened to me twice.

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 653 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I was a 30 year Sears Die Hard customer. Not any more!

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1891 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Well it used to be Diehard. Maybe you can get one cheap now that sears is bankrupt.

Otherwise Interstate. I have.them in my Excursion. I need two cause its a diesel.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:
I was a 30 year Sears Die Hard customer. Not any more!

Well considering Sears is suffering a hard death...

Posts: 23436 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
The original Motorcraft battery in my F150 finally started getting weak after six years. I just replaced it with an Interstate from Costco for about $100.00.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
If you go Bosch, Pep Boys offer 20% off if you buy online.

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the tips, fellas. Since I'm a Costco member, I'll probably get an Interstate there.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Napa. Always worked well for me.

Posts: 602 | Location: NW Pa. USA | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interstate batteries have worked well for me.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I also did Napa replacements for my twin-battery Cummins 3500 truck.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Interstate, and next time I need a new one, Interstate.

In conclusion, Interstate

Used to be Interstate for me, but my locally owned service center no longer offers them because of decreased quality in the last few years. Returns became a problem, so they investigated and learned manufacture had moved to a different facility, and at the same time warranty periods were reduced by Interstate. My dealer now offers NAPA. I've used this service center for 25 years and have full confidence in them, so will avoid Interstate for now.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have always gotten good service from Interstate batteries, but the thing to remember is that only two, maybe three, companies in the US manufacture batteries, putting on the various retailers' labeling. If you get the biggest battery that fits, with the most cold cranking amps and the longest warranty that you can afford, chances are you'll do fine.

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
AGM has a number of advantages and can withstand some abuse, but requires a different charge regimen than traditional lead acid wet cells. Is the regulator in your vehicle set up for the charge voltages necessary for AGM? Probably not. YMMV

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I just replaced a 6 year old Wally World Everstart battery in my dad's truck with the exact same thing. $95 or so after core exchange vs. $140+ at all the other chain auto stores for their store brand batteries. When I took the core in there was another 6 year old battery that had just been exchanged sitting on the counter.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
Costco/Interstate for us.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
AGM all the way all the time. I don't know about how "older" a car needs to be to NOT use an AGM. Maybe a mechanic could weigh in.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8675 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rotndad:
As an automitive Tech I"ve had good luck with Intestate batteries.

~*~PSA~*~ If you own a late model BMW Do NOT allow them to use a memory saver that plugs into the ALDL (Computer socket thingy). In a normal car this provides power to the modules to keep the memory stored. In some cars it even keeps the radio presets. In a BMW it blows a 10a(IIRC) fuse that controls the windows, door locks and other "comfort items". Also make sure they do the battery registation. The memory saver issues has happened to me once, and other members of my shop several times UNTIL I wrote in sharpy on the memoy saver "NO BMWS". The first time it took a little bit of research and head scratching to figure out.

I go through and change LOTS of batteries in my business. I agree Interstate makes great batteries, better than Deka IMO.

AGM- You can use these in older cars. The charging profiles are very close between AGM and Lead/ACID. Gel batteries need much lower charging profiles.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Costco/Interstate. Costco gives you a longer warranty on the same battery, and no bs about "we have to charge it and load test it first"

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
My last Costco Interstate battery discharged after only about 2.5 years, but it had a 36 month 100% warranty, so I got a full refund on it. My point is, I don't think the Costco batteries are as good as some of the Interstates sold elsewhere, but keep a close eye on it and test it periodically as it nears 36 months. After 36 months, you get ziltch.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post