SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    20 year old Mercedes (or really any car) -- What needs done?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
20 year old Mercedes (or really any car) -- What needs done? Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
I think I posted that I picked up a 20 year old MB e430 a few weeks back. 90k miles. I'm starting to do some maintenance that I assume needs done. I"m wondering about what is just me guessing needs done, and what really needs done.

I know brake fluid should be done. And engine and tranny fluid and filters.

Assuming (safe assumption) that this stuff has not yet been done -- Should I change the power steering fluid and coolant? Are the shocks surely shot? Springs? Rear differential fluid?

I'm just wondering if age really doesn't matter to some of that, or if milage is perhaps really the factor, and 90k isn't that bad.



Staring out the windows is for love songs and house flies. -- Jay Electronica
 
Posts: 8478 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Assuming (safe assumption) that this stuff has not yet been done -- Should I change the power steering fluid and coolant? Are the shocks surely shot? Springs? Rear differential fluid?

I agree with the fluid changes, but the shocks and springs (if they are conventional shocks and coil springs, not air), not necessarily. Like keeping your firearm magazines loaded, the wear comes from cycling, not just sitting around. Evaluate them on their own merits.
 
Posts: 20564 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Drop fuel tank and boil, clean or r&r fuel lines add new filter in addition to what you mentioned earlier.



Foster's, Australian for Bud

 
Posts: 6897 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Has it just been sitting, or has it been driven some.


I would do ALL fluids, spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, accessory belts, check to see how dry the bushings are.
Get it running drive it for a bit in as many different conditions as possible to see what noises are made and how the ride is.
Then go from there.

If been sitting drain fuel for sure.


--------------------------------------
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
 
Posts: 19240 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I usually do every fluid, diff, trans, coolant etc. I also change all filters including fuel. If it’s been sitting then cleaning out the fuel system from tank to engine is a good idea and expect some corrosion to the brake system from absorbing water. I’d check the battery too.
 
Posts: 2345 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I think it's been driven every summer for about 6k to 7k miles. Then put away when the weather gets bad. Which around here, is 6 to 8 months a year. Sigh.... I hate to even think that winter is coming back again. hehe



Staring out the windows is for love songs and house flies. -- Jay Electronica
 
Posts: 8478 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I think it's been driven every summer for about 6k to 7k miles. Then put away when the weather gets bad. Which around here, is 6 to 8 months a year. Sigh.... I hate to even think that winter is coming back again. hehe


So I am presuming it runs somewhat decently?

I would not worry about dropping the tank then.
I would run a bottle of Chevron Techron in the tank with some Shell VPower 93 Octane gas to clean the system out. Then change the fuel filter and spark plugs.

How old are the tires??


--------------------------------------
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
 
Posts: 19240 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Do you have a factory service manual for it? After the obvious stuff - fluids, brakes and the likes I would consult the FSM for maintenance intervals on items and go from there.
 
Posts: 2149 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
My usual routine for all used cars would also include changing all hoses and belts. Even the little stupid short ones, they will bite you every time when you least expect it.
 
Posts: 298 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
Probably need timing belt and water pump done.
 
Posts: 784 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
Probably need timing belt and water pump done.


I don’t think there have been very many MBs with timing belts.
The E430 uses a chain set up for sure.


--------------------------------------
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
 
Posts: 19240 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Good initial recommendations above. After those, I'd start planning to replace every rubber item on the car, starting with most critical like bushings, seals, etc.

Actually, while doing the brakes I would most definitely replace the hoses at caliper, and if reasonably easy any rubber ones in route from MC. And definitely bleed the crap that's almost certainly in those lines.



You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

 
Posts: 8490 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Don't forget wiper blades. If they self destruct in a rain you'd sure hate to scratch the windshield up.

Check the use by date on your tires. I sold a Bronco much like your MB, the tires all failed in a couple months.


----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------
 
Posts: 4340 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
If it's been on the road in a winter salt zone, better check brake and fuel lines. They tend to fail when good and corroded.
 
Posts: 322 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
90K Recommended MB Maintanice

I'd probably skip that and go right to the 100K service.

100K Service



"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill
 
Posts: 12009 | Location: FL | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I think it's been driven every summer for about 6k to 7k miles. Then put away when the weather gets bad. Which around here, is 6 to 8 months a year. Sigh.... I hate to even think that winter is coming back again. hehe


So I am presuming it runs somewhat decently?

I would not worry about dropping the tank then.
I would run a bottle of Chevron Techron in the tank with some Shell VPower 93 Octane gas to clean the system out. Then change the fuel filter and spark plugs.

How old are the tires??


Seems to run fine.
Tires are shot. I'm going to ask the dealer to assess the bushing et. If no major problem, I'll get new tires (elsewhere of course) and have it aligned.



Staring out the windows is for love songs and house flies. -- Jay Electronica
 
Posts: 8478 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duke762:
If it's been on the road in a winter salt zone, better check brake and fuel lines. They tend to fail when good and corroded.


The claim is that it's never seen a snowflake. I believe them.



Staring out the windows is for love songs and house flies. -- Jay Electronica
 
Posts: 8478 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Do you have a factory service manual for it? After the obvious stuff - fluids, brakes and the likes I would consult the FSM for maintenance intervals on items and go from there.


They seem to be unobtainable. I guess they charge you access to the service information. The days of manuals or CDs are over. But there seems to be plenty of good info on the net. YouTube etc.



Staring out the windows is for love songs and house flies. -- Jay Electronica
 
Posts: 8478 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
If you're going to take it to the dealer ask them to run a service report on the car. If the maintenance was done at any MB dealer it willl show up on the report and you can go from there.
The suggestions from others seem to be spot on as well.


------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Building high performance custom homes on beautiful Smith Mt. Lake, VA
www.PDandM.com
 
Posts: 3573 | Location: SML & OBX | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I think it's been driven every summer for about 6k to 7k miles. Then put away when the weather gets bad. Which around here, is 6 to 8 months a year. Sigh.... I hate to even think that winter is coming back again. hehe


So I am presuming it runs somewhat decently?

I would not worry about dropping the tank then.
I would run a bottle of Chevron Techron in the tank with some Shell VPower 93 Octane gas to clean the system out. Then change the fuel filter and spark plugs.

How old are the tires??


Seems to run fine.
Tires are shot. I'm going to ask the dealer to assess the bushing et. If no major problem, I'll get new tires (elsewhere of course) and have it aligned.


You said 20 years old so I am presuming it is a 1998??
Also does it have the Sport Package??
Either way the Continental ExtremeContact DWS would be a very nice not too terribly expensive tire for that car in either the 16” or 17” if it has the sport package.

Also EBay is your friend for service/repair manuals these days.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0...2Fitm%2F282959588290

Also check your local library if they have online repair manual options.


--------------------------------------
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
 
Posts: 19240 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    20 year old Mercedes (or really any car) -- What needs done?

© SIGforum 2018