SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why can't the liberty-minded compete with leftist tech?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why can't the liberty-minded compete with leftist tech? Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
They might be the most evil of them all. Think of all the years of corporate losses for Amazon yet investor dollars kept going in. One reason, because they knew in the end Amazon was going to be one of the only players left in the game. Their successful web services (AWS) have allowed them to continue their take over and destruction of retail. That's not good imho.

To me, Amazon has kind of turned into Zorg corp from the Fifth Element. Lol.
I've never made it through that horrible movie, so, that is lost on me.

I don't think the destruction of retail is bad. It's an outdated idea and it's time has come. How is buying direct from China worse than having a retail establishment buy from China, mark up the price 1000% and then you buying from them?

At least when I was shopping in a store, I could be fairly confident that the item I was picking off the shelf wasn't some counterfeit POS.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't think the destruction of retail is bad. It's an outdated idea and it's time has come. How is buying direct from China worse than having a retail establishment buy from China, mark up the price 1000% and then you buying from them?

You missed my point. Sorry you didn't like the Fifth Element, I enjoyed it. Zorg is one of the bad guys who owns everything basically. Retail can be disrupted. I'm ok with that. Hell, Sears should have seen the writing on the wall 30 years ago! Amazon disrupted retail while losing money, writing it off as business expenses and in the process, removed their competition. They have more recently turned profits from their web services division, but without that fueling their profits, their retail model wouldn't be enough to sustain their massive growth.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
How is buying direct from China worse than having a retail establishment buy from China, mark up the price 1000% and then you buying from them?

the Great Question no one I've conversed with about the alternatives, has been able to answer.

One of the most gratifying moments in my personal career as 'retail consumer' was when searching ON LINE for months, for a replacement 'cork' for my 40 year old favorite Stanley thermos jug. No one, including Stanley Itself, had anything.

Finally walked in to a family-owned century+ small town hardware store. Asked the clerk, he walked down an aisle (yes, on creaky hardwood flooring), reached under a counter & pulled out a factory-sealed 1970s era screw in original cap. He sold it to me, insisting I pay the full
sticker price affixed to the package, $2.59.

I've gone back many times over the years when unable to find bits of hardware elsewhere, and they always seem to know what I'm after.

This last mission, they produced the "square shoulder cup hook" I needed for a project, not at the literally "3.59/package of 3" prior vendor had sold out, but had on hand choice in 3 different sizes in 2 finish types for 39 cents each.

Even Amazon Prime was unable to compete with these two tiny examples.

And generally their goods are marked "Made in USA".

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Good question. Peter Thiel, PayPal founder, is one of the few counter examples that comes to mind. He helped the Trump 2016 campaign. He’s since left PayPal.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, just don't bother? Easy enough.

Didn't say that. Just suggesting that it isn't going to be a walk in the park.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Our voices ARE effective and our message is well received, which is why we are being censored.

Anti monopoly laws need to be enforced and all this "private company" crap needs to be seen through and overcome.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
They might be the most evil of them all. Think of all the years of corporate losses for Amazon yet investor dollars kept going in. One reason, because they knew in the end Amazon was going to be one of the only players left in the game. Their successful web services (AWS) have allowed them to continue their take over and destruction of retail. That's not good imho.

To me, Amazon has kind of turned into Zorg corp from the Fifth Element. Lol.

1000%? I don't think so

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
https://www.bitchute.com/ seems to be a YouTube competitor.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Liberty minded people want to live and let live.

Leftist tech wants to find out everything about everyone else and sell it to the highest bidder.

I’d say that sums it up quite well.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hangtime:
1000%? I don't think so
Roll Eyes

The wife bought a ring on Wish.com for $2. We saw the same ring at JC Penney for $29.95. The same ring. Not merely 10 times the cost but nearly 1500 percent.

So, do you think so now?