SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone drive a "sporty" car every day?....do you regret it ever?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone drive a "sporty" car every day?....do you regret it ever? Login/Join 
Picture of Jman78
posted Hide Post
For 12 years I only drove 2 seaters, 5 miatas and a 350z. I never regretted it, especially with the miatas. If I ever needed room, I opened the top.

I have carried many boxed guitars and amps to ship out using my miatae. I even used one to move a glass topped dining room table. I covered the trunk with a blanket, tied the legs to my boss frog roll bar, and carefully set the glass on the passenger seat. Drove real careful and everything made it in one piece.

I drive a Camry now, and for that last 4 years it has been slowly sucking my soul out. On a whim I test drove a 2019 mx5 last week.

I found my smile, a a glimmering hope happiness!

Now I just need to crap out $30k and I can be a “normal” person again.

Posts: 178 | Location: St. Petersburg FLorida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
With an X3 (or some SUV, or minivan in the household), I think you can confidently go sporty for your car. I drove a 3 series and 5 series for multiple years and loved it. I'm in a Subaru now as I needed to go automatic due to joint issues. I'm doing better now and actually considering transitioning back. The M240xi is on my list as a possibility. The M3 Comp is on my list as a dreamsickle.

Posts: 11386 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
This last May, I was stopped at a light 11:30 at night... Was headed back to hospital with wifes belongings as she had been admitted that evening...

A tired driver with a 3/4 ton Chevy truck, and heavy custom bumper hit me at 45mph... He was yawning, and didn't see me stop or light change... thankfully he swerved and hit me in right rear of car. 2009 Corolla.... No, not sporty, but small...

It crushed in back of car, wrinkled side of car on passenger side, and torqued vehicle so hood would not align...

I did get to see my wife in Hospital, but via ambulance. :-)

I was alright other than being very sore for sometime, and still bothers the heck out of me looking in my rear view mirror at a light watching all the folks not paying attention to the road...

All this to say... Bigger wins. Every time. His truck had a scratch on the bumper, literally, a scratch...

Give me metal, give my family metal, sporty cars are fun, BUT, Bigger always wins...

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Been driving my BMW for 9 months now every day. It beats my old truck for getting around in traffic, but is stiff on the road and just not very comfortable for the hour and a half drive I have to make.

I am going to buy me another truck this winter as a daily driver.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
I try to run the Bullitt daily, even when my 4WD truck would be a better choice. 480HP, 6-speed manual, RWD with studded tires - what could be more fun?

And unlike some owners of exotic cars, who merely title their cars there, you actually live in Montana. My son just bought one of those Bullitts and it's pretty cool.
I had a spoiled childhood. In 1958, when I turned 16, my dad bought a 1957 Thunderbird. Officially, it was his car but I drove it through high school and college and grad school. I had an uncle, who owned a Cadillac-Pontiac dealership and just before I got married in 1967, I ordered from him a 1967 Pontiac GTO convertible. It had the HO engine, Hurst shifter, the works. It was a hot rod although today your average Nissan Maxima would blow its doors off 0-60. My wife at the time, made me sell the GTO after a few years because we had a child and the GTO was not air-conditioned (who orders an HO engine with air conditioning?). In 1974, still smarting from the GTO sale, I bought a silver 1971 Corvette T-Top with red interior and I still love that color combination. I outfitted it with chrome Dayton wire wheels and drove it for twenty years. Great car and a real head-turner. One day, I noticed I was having more and more trouble getting in and out of it. For a time, I tried to convince myself I was becoming taller but finally had to face reality, age. Since then, it has been a succession of 4-wheel drive SUV's. Currently, it's a 2017 Subaru Outback, which Consumer Reports assures me is the best vehicle for senior citizens- OUCH! My younger brother continues to carry the torch. He has a garage filled with exotics including two Ford GT's , the original and the current one, a Lamborghini and a Ferrari. Moral of the story, go into Law not Medicine.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
my daily driver was a 97 T100, then a 200 Tundra (both bought new) until 2010,

still have the Tundra, but the daily driver was a 2010 then a 2013 Mini Cooper S,

no regrets, would still be driving the 13 if some asshole in a Silverado had not totaled it for me,,,

not a long range car, as in great around town (my avg drive was 30 minutes to work), but it would be tiresome on a long distance trip sometimes (depending on road conditions)

they are quick,
handle better than most cars even think about,
and off and on ramps were a dream,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Camry is my "sporty" car. Wife wants a SUV and it is her turn to pick

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My two sporty cars were a 350z and then a 2015 5.0 Mustang. They were both daily drivers i.e. my commuter car. I'm in one of those jobs where I can't stay home in inclement weather, so for now I'm in a Jeep Rubicon. The sports cars were definitely fun to drive, but now that I've turned 40, I'm more likely to be the guy cruising along at or under the speed limit, instead of driving like I stole it.

Posts: 489 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
With an X3 (or some SUV, or minivan in the household), I think you can confidently go sporty for your car. I drove a 3 series and 5 series for multiple years and loved it. I'm in a Subaru now as I needed to go automatic due to joint issues. I'm doing better now and actually considering transitioning back. The M240xi is on my list as a possibility. The M3 Comp is on my list as a dreamsickle.

What's the word on the AE ND?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
No.

Get on with it.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post