SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone drive a "sporty" car every day?....do you regret it ever?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone drive a "sporty" car every day?....do you regret it ever? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
2006 Jaguar XType. Carries me and sometimes others to work every day. No regrets since I bought it in 2007. 130k mi so far, mostly wear and tear items other than my headliner (apparently a known problem). I do miss when I had Goodyear Eagles on it, a cornering machine.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I drove my 2015 M5 to work for a few weeks. It was great, but it started making driving it routine. I work in a not so great part of town, shitty roads, and a very real possibility of some uninsured illegal destroying it, and don't want the attention sometimes too.
My daily is my E46 325xi (240k miles), which is the perfect regular car for me, "Sporty" and fun without being a "sports" car. I already have it's replacement, an E91 328xiT (touring/sport wagon), which also kinda replaces my Subaru outback, since the fucking headgaskets blew Mad again.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regret?!?! No, it's the highlight of my day. Puts a smile on my face.

I have a work car that I rarely drive because I love driving sport cars so much. The only days I don't commute in my 911 are when I commute in my Cayman instead.

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
double tap

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I drive a 2017 Honda Accord Coupe with the V6 which is actually pretty quick and sporty. I miss driving a truck or SUV though and have been looking for a newish 4Runner to get back into driving something with 4wd and big tires.

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I drove trucks for most of my life, then hit 40 and swapped out for a Mercedes CLK 550. Loved that big V-8. Kept the car for 10 years and it was starting to get a bit long in the tooth so I went looking for something new. I still wanted a big growly V-8.

Enter the new Lexus RC-F.

I only put about 5,000 miles a year on my car, and I have no regrets about switching to a sporty car. I look forward to getting back from trips so I can fire up the RC-F.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1772 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
These days I enjoy driving our 2014 Honda V6 EX-L. I think from time to time about getting a used Corvette, new/late used SS Camaro, or Mustang GT but traffic being the way it is around here, long winters, and low speed limits I don't think I would get much enjoyment other than pride of ownership which still would be a cool thing though. We will see as I still think about it from time to time. Smile

Posts: 9741 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My current car is definitely not a SPORTS car, but it's a "sporty" car. I was in a 2015 Subaru Legacy that I bought in 2014. I went in to look at the BRZ and my son barely fit in the back so I bought the Legacy and traded in my old 2009 BMW 328. My daughter started driving last year so I went back and decided to get rid of the Legacy and get a BRZ or a WRX.

Test drove both and loved the BRZ and hated the WRX. It was too rough and required Premium gas and got sucky gas mileage. I decided if I was going to pay for premium gas, I'd go back to a BMW. I told the salesman I'd think about the BRZ and call him back.

Then someone told me that the current gen 4 series BMW was going to be the last hard top convertibles so I went back to BMW. Only because my g/f found this 2018 and put the downpayment on it for my birthday. I'm not mad.

My Subaru:

My BMW. Definitely made the right choice over the BRZ or WRX. AWD. my average is 25mpg mixed. On long freeway trips, I'll get mid-high 30s. And when I punch the gas, it goes! I just figured out how to use launch control too.

I can retire in 1,357 days. Whether I retire or not, I'm giving this car to my daughter and getting a BMW M340i xDrive as my winter car and hopefully a C8 hardtop convertible Corvette as fun car for "retirement" presents to myself.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
I drive a ‘96 Z3 everyday. It owes me nothing except a smile. My sweetie has a sedan when we need a trunk.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chowser

Thank you for buying your 4 series in the correct color.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trickedtrix:
I love driving, and have been fortunate enough to own several vehicles over the last 25 years

If finances allow I recommend you have 3 - truck, SUV, and fun car.

I second that emotion, we have a 2015 V6 Accord EX-L sedan, a 2003 Silverado extended cab, and a 2017 Suburban. When you put the Accord in "Sport" its a real rocket ship, but it can easily get 32+ mpg cruising on the interstate at 80. Its my daily driver and a real sleeper. It won't fit all 3 car seats though, but the Silverado does. The Suburban is the family truckster and the Silverado is the deer rig and spare.

Posts: 2514 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I have owned a G8 GT since 09. Babied it at first but it's now my only car. It is neither prestigious nor luxurious, but it behaves competently at any speed and IS a drivers car. Almost 135,000 mi now. Not Sorry, except I cannot replace it w/o doubling the price.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2008 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I must be getting old when someone mentions sports car and it makes me want a BMW X5 M

I’ve come a long way since my 70 Chevelle, just maybe not in the right direction.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I used to love driving nowhere in particular. Nowadays, though, I begin to get uncomfortable after an hour. Combine that with all the shitty, self-centered drivers who don’t understand road etiquette and I’d much rather stay home.

I consider my Taurus to be pretty sporty. I’ll take the back roads home after work, but I’m only on the road for about 20 minutes.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used to live in snow country ( Buffalo) and a sports car was simply not practical. Now that I live in the sunny south west, we went back to cars from jeeps and suv’s And don’t see myself in anything but a car again. Most of my friends have trucks or suv’s If we want to go back/off road.
I am considering a Kia stinger ( have an ultima right now ) and wife has a fiat spider.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first "sports" car was a 1965 Austin Healy Sprite in high school. Since then I have had numerous sports cars all with manual transmissions. Several Mustangs, a 1974 Z-28 Camaro (first new car), RX-7, 280Z, Alfa Romeo...you get the picture. Now I have a Miata and I consider it to be one of the best examples of a real sports car. No regrets ever! Driving is one of the few pure pleasures in life.

My wife and I normally get up on Saturdays and go out for breakfast or lunch to a destination café approx. 45 minutes to 1.5 hrs drive from our house. Two lane blacktop back roads through Texas Hill Country. We love it, but my car is far, far from stock and the suspension has been custom built and tuned for these types of drives.

Our daily drivers are now more sedate versions, wife drives a Lexus and I have a pickup, but for many years I drove my two seat manual transmission sports car to work every day. Driving to work, school...or any daily drudgery is not what I consider driving. Austin metro area highways are parking lots at rush hours.

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Until I moved to AZ, that’s all I have driven.
Everything from a heavily modded Subaru WRX, Infiniti G35, Q40, Q50, Nissan Skyline R34 (yes, an R34 GTR), BMW 135is tuned and modded, and last but not least, the creme de la creme, a 2017 E63 AMG with every package they offer (FULLY Loaded)

I carried some ridiculous shit in many of those cars. 2x4s from the front seat out the trunk, pavestones in the trunk of a $120k Benz, who cares. It’s a badass car and I need to improve my house. So don’t worry about the trip to Lowe’s. The fancy car will do fine. Just wrap the trunk in plastic before you go. Cool

Do I miss it?
The E63, I miss everyday.
The WRX I miss a lot, but it was loud AF.

The Toyota Tacoma I daily Drive now is pretty awesome.
The Polaris Razor in the garage makes up for everything else.

I still miss the E63.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I daily drove Mustangs in the Midwest when I first got my license and for many years to follow. Rain, snow, and all. Loved every minute of it.
Got to the real world wanted to add a touch more comfort. Drove an Audi A4 Avant dropped on Koni coilovers. That was a fantastic sporty daily driver. Plenty of get up and go plus it handled like a dream on the Konis coupled with the Quattro system and comfortable seats to boot! Best road trip car I have owned.
Then I needed a bit more ground clearance and got rid of it for an Explorer did not drive it much as I had a company car.
I now have 3 kids and drive a slightly lifted Expedition on 33” tires. It is a great daily driver I like being up high and it is just a good driving vehicle. With the twin turbos it is no slouch in a straight line. Turns not so much.

My steed for the weekend is a Porsche Carrera S convertible just drove to Cincinnati (2 hours) for a Reds game. 90* outside top down the whole highway trip even in the bumper to bumper traffic near the city. It is an automatic so it was not bad at all.
It was great and loved 80 mph cruising on the highway.
While it was enjoyable it is certainly not what I would want to daily. I am 6’2” 240 and it is a bit of a chore to get in and out.

While I do really like my Expedition especially since I have 3 in car seats I would pick sporty over the truck for a daily if I did not need the space but I also have a truck for those type of needs.

I could arguably afford to purchase a 2010-2013 Mercedes E63 AMG Wagon and I would pick it in a heartbeat over the Expedition but no chance I can afford the maintenance costs as well so I’ll be sticking with the Expedition.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I try to run the Bullitt daily, even when my 4WD truck would be a better choice. 480HP, 6-speed manual, RWD with studded tires - what could be more fun?

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I've driven a "sporty" car almost my entire life since getting my driver's license. I have never regretted it. Sometimes I have regretted the mundane vehicles that I drove in place of them, or the condition of roads or insane traffic various places where I lived, but never the sporty cars (except the G35, that was a mistake).

Now tha I am retired, I alternate between a 2010 BMW 335 convertible and a 2014 F-150, depending on what makes the most sense. My wife's car is a convertible 2004 Audi A4 Quattro. When she retires, we'll buy one sporty car to replace the BMW & Audi.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post