SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New iPad Pro and new iPad “Magic Keyboard” - iHaters, just keep scrolling- you are not welcome here ;)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New iPad Pro and new iPad “Magic Keyboard” - iHaters, just keep scrolling- you are not welcome here ;) Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
Not ashamed to admit I like my Apple products, MacBook Pro, iPhone, and iPad(s). I upgrade pretty frequently, about 2 years for phone and iPad, 3-4 years on MacBook. I have been using my 2018 iPad Pro 12.9” for almost two years, so time for it to go to a new home.

The 12.9 was mostly used at home or work and frequently more than I wanted to carry around. For that reason, and also to use with my DJI Mavic, I also have a iPad Mini that goes almost everywhere with me. While out and about there were times I wish the Mini was bigger, so I decided that with this “upgrade” I would “downsize” and went with the 2020 iPad Pro 11”.

I’ve had it for almost two week now and I am really enjoying the smaller form factor so far. I had the “Smart Keyboard” for my old iPad, and it really was great when needed to do a lot of writing/typing. Helped me to use the iPad as my primary device, resorting to the “real” computer only for serious photo editing or other more complex work.

One thing I wasn’t real fond of on the “Smart Keyboard” was the mushy keys and coating material. Looking at the new keyboard, I was intrigued about the touch pad and design changes, so when I ordered the new 11” iPad I bit the bullet and went with the “Magic Keyboard”.

Admittedly it IS pretty pricey ($299 in 11”, $329(?) for 12.9”) compared to $179 for the “Smart Keyboard”. Unfortunately, there is a bigger backlog on the keyboard and it was delayed longer than for the iPad to arrive. When I ordered the iPad and keyboard on May 6th, iPad was projected to deliver May 15th and keyboard on by June 6th. Having received my iPad early last week, I started having second thoughts about the keyboard and was thinking to maybe just go with the Smart Keyboard or even a third party option (Logitech).

Wednesday I got notification my keyboard was on the way and it was delivered today. Hooray! Using it now as I type this and it is a DREAM compared to the Smart Keyboard. It is much more solid, has a USB-C connector for pass through power, REAL laptop type keys (not membrane covered switches) with backlighting, and the trackpad of course.

This is really a step up in letting folks use the iPad as a computer replacement, much better experience and with the trackpad you don’t have to take hands off keyboard to touch the screen to navigate around.

At this early stage I only have two nits to pick-

1) I am missing keys, this is my fault as I am used to the larger 12.9 keyboard, just need to adjust to the smaller size.
2) It would have been nice if Apple could have incorporated a battery into the hinge mechanism where the USB-C connector is.

The plug supplies power to charge the iPad while in use and leave the iPad’s connector available for accessories, so this is an improvement. However if not connected to power, the keyboard is powered by the battery in the iPad.

Obviously, powering the keyboard with the added trackpad and backlighting is going to cause the battery life to take a hit. Just would have been all that much better if they could have squeezed a small battery into the design to help out.

Anyway, I am digging it. For those who aren’t aware, Apple now offers 10% Veteran discount on everything they sell on their website, have to buy online though. They will ship it to you, or can pick up at a local store if it is something they have in stock.

Actually even works out better for me since online orders charge tax based on your address while buying in store they charge tax rate at store location. My home address is 1% lower sales tax then the closest Apple store.

Already sold the “old” 12.9”, (for 65% of what iPaid for it - not bad after almost 2 years). That is something I think a lot of folks don’t take into consideration when bashing Apple prices, the resale value. Try to sell an Android tablet for any appreciable amount after a couple of years. MS Surfaces fare better, but they really are more of a computer than a tablet.

I know the haters will still feel a need to spout off, but if anyone is interested and has been looking at the new iPad Pros and Keyboard, give them a try - I think you’ll be impressed.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Apple is rock solid and everything they make is top-shelf quality. Android and Samsung made me a customer for life. Wink

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3956 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Good to hear the "regular" sized iPad is working well for you. I'm about to buy an iPad Mini for my flight training, to use in the cockpit with ForeFlight. (Also for UAV flights.)

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
You didn't mention what I personally think is one of the best improvements to the new iPads that being the new iPad OS. Big improvement and really opens up lots of capabilities. And its available throughout the entire iPad line up which is really cool.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I have no complaints whatsoever with my IPad. I got an iPad Air in January for school, i grabbed the magnetic smart keyboard with it. I would like the keys a little taller, but its fine. We have iPhones too, so we’re Apple folk. I looked at the mMagic keyboard that 911boss got, and it says only for the Pro, I’d be interested if they came out with one for the Air.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:

Good to hear the "regular" sized iPad is working well for you. I'm about to buy an iPad Mini for my flight training, to use in the cockpit with ForeFlight.
Unless Apple has changed since I got my iPad, the wifi-only version does not have GPS, so to work with ForeFlight, you have two options:
  1. Get a wifi + cellular model iPad. You do NOT need to subscribe to a cell service if you download the ForeFlight maps that you will need via wifi, prior to take-off, but the GPS hardware is built into the cellular chip. You'll also want a SIM to put into the iPad, doesn't matter if it's a "live" SIM with cell service. The cellular iPad will whine about not finding a SIM, when it starts up.

2. Use an outboard GPS receiver, couple to the iPad via bluetooth, wifi, or lightning cable. Pro, you can use a WAAS receiver, the iPad GPS is non-WAAS. Con, it's one more "thing" to clutter the cockpit.
Keep us posted with your flight training progress.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30547 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apple now offers 10% Veteran discount on everything they sell on their website, have to buy online though. They will ship it to you, or can pick up at a local store if it is something they have in stock.

I see no place to apply that on their site. any help? thanks.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
At some point in the future I'm confident that I'll pick up an iPad. I've been using my 15"MacBook Pro retina since late 2013 without a hitch. I am mostly homebound and get a lot of use from the iPhone and MacBook but have yet to see where an iPad would fit in for me, and cannot justify one yet. Now if the MacBook should ever tank I'd like to transition to an iPad. Though not exactly cheap at $799 for the iPad pro and $299 for the magic keyboard, I'm sure it's a fine device and would adapt nicely.

I didn't realize until I read your post that you need to purchase the keyboard separately. And at this time I'll toss in a shameless plug for the recent purchase of an Apple TV device I just purchased for streaming. Now that I'm more comfortable with the smaller Apple remote, it's the "cats behind" and the features of that small trackpad, getting used to the finger swipe and gestures makes it a notch above for navigating the streaming apps. 2-thumbs up for Apple!

I know that soon or a later an iPad is in my future. The Mackbook Pro retina "tank" still has a good amount of mileage to go I'm sure before it gives up the ghost but, no doubt the iPad will fill the gap when it finally does!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I have a 11” 2019 iPad Pro and I’m dying to get the new floaty Smart Keyboard for it. I have the Brydge keyboard, but the elevated stand and trackpad of the new Apple keyboard is damn enticing.

Thanks for the review! How is the use of the trackpad with the iPadOS? What about the trackpad itself? Glass like the clamshell notebooks? What about 3 and 4 finger gestures?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:

Good to hear the "regular" sized iPad is working well for you. I'm about to buy an iPad Mini for my flight training, to use in the cockpit with ForeFlight.
Unless Apple has changed since I got my iPad, the wifi-only version does not have GPS, so to work with ForeFlight, you have two options:
  1. Get a wifi + cellular model iPad. You do NOT need to subscribe to a cell service if you download the ForeFlight maps that you will need via wifi, prior to take-off, but the GPS hardware is built into the cellular chip. You'll also want a SIM to put into the iPad, doesn't matter if it's a "live" SIM with cell service. The cellular iPad will whine about not finding a SIM, when it starts up.

2. Use an outboard GPS receiver, couple to the iPad via bluetooth, wifi, or lightning cable. Pro, you can use a WAAS receiver, the iPad GPS is non-WAAS. Con, it's one more "thing" to clutter the cockpit.
Keep us posted with your flight training progress.

V-Tail:
I plan on getting a wi-fi only model of the iPad Mini, and plug an external GPS into it.
Thanks for the info.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
I have a 11” 2019 iPad Pro and I’m dying to get the new floaty Smart Keyboard for it. I have the Brydge keyboard, but the elevated stand and trackpad of the new Apple keyboard is damn enticing.

Thanks for the review! How is the use of the trackpad with the iPadOS? What about the trackpad itself? Glass like the clamshell notebooks? What about 3 and 4 finger gestures?

I’ve been tempted more than once by the Brydge keyboards, never pulled the trigger though. As for the trackpad, I am not sure if it is glass or metal but it is nice and smooth. You can press anywhere and all the gestures work just fine. Here is a good review that pretty much sums it all up as far as features and construction:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/...price-specs-features

Really is making the already great iPad experience (IMNSHO) even better. Can’t get much more “laptop” like than this without a laptop

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
If I pick up that thing I’ll send you my brydge so you can at least try it.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a Win guy and my wife is an Apple fan. Three years (?) ago for our anniversary we bought each other tablets (Surface / iPad Pro). I've got to admit the iPad Pro is a very nice device. Rock Freaking Solid. If you would like to maim or injure yourself, try to take the iPad from my wife.

Posts: 7524 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last year I had virus three times in the computer. Since I didn’t save anything on my computer,etc, I decided to get a load. It worked pretty good for while but got slow later. Changed the router and now it’s working great.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by satch:
Last year I had virus three times in the computer. Since I didn’t save anything on my computer,etc, I decided to get a ipad. It worked pretty good for while but got slow later. Changed the router and now it’s working great.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My phone is an iPhone 11, and I use an iPad for work. My wife quit using laptops and only uses an iPad. I do everything on a Macbook Air, and can't stand doing any more than necessary on an ipad.

I use the iPad because that's what's issued, and I use it for a few things. I guess it might be a little better with some kind of external keyboard, but I can't stand trying to type on the iPad itself. Or the iPhone. Consequently, if I send a message on the iPhone, I speak it, and correct as necessary. On the iPad, I type as little as possible; a few letters or numbers at most. It's tedious, and the small screen is annoying.

Unless a keyboard comes out that at least matches the functionality of a typical laptop, such as I'm typing on now, the iPad is limited in use for me for company read-only documents and charts.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I like Apple but I’m not paying $350 for a keyboard.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post