SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you had to live somewhere - Mobile, Montgomery, or Houston, TX?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you had to live somewhere - Mobile, Montgomery, or Houston, TX? Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Mobile AL without question.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
One last consideration hit me today while I was doing something else. If cost of living is a consideration, Houston is 22-25% more expensive to live than either Mobile or Montgomery.

http://www.bestplaces.net/cost...al/houston-tx/100000

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Mobile. Lots to do in Houston but lots or crime and traffic. Montgomery has nothing to offer.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Montgomery has nothing to offer.

Well let see . . . Golf? Two Robert Trent Jones courses within a hour.

Culture? Alabama Shakespeare Festival, Montgomery Performing Arts Center, Davis Theatre.

Sports? Alabama State in town, Auburn University 35 miles up I-85, Minor league baseball right downtown, Faulkner University, .

Hunting: Well, lots o' woods, lots o' turkey, too damn many deer..

Fishing, Alabama, Coosa, Tallapoosa Rivers make up the "River Region, Lakes Martin, Mitchell, Jordan within an hour of MGM.

Vacation:

Beach 3 hours down I-65, Florida or Alabama, take your pick.

Shooting? Central AL Gun Club, Shotgun Sports Club, Lint Hill Farm (LD rifle) Society Hill (LD rifle), Tri-County Gun Range, Some indoor pistol range.

Health care? Baptist South, Baptist East associated with UAB School of Medicine, Jackson Hospital.

The restaurant selection does suck however.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Houston, hands down, but I am biased since I live NW of town. Houston has great everything, good and bad.

Ad was mentioned first big thing is it is Texas, second is it is only 1.5 hrs from great college football in College Station.

If you like culture, good food and pro and college sports teams then Houston is the obvious choice.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
It would not be Houston.

My son lived there for two years, car flooded twice just sitting parked outside his apartment, traffic is awesome, roads are terrible.

Would never choose to live there. So, given your choices, Montgomery or Mobile it would be.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can live within commuting distance of Houston in some nice places. I did and only went to Houston for entertainment or eating, both of which are first class. Symphony, Opera, theatre , art galleries are excellent and far above any other place in Texas and most of the nation. Shooting options and clubs many. Fantastic medical care. Close access to fishing. Cons are City politicians, heat, traffic. Trick is to live outside city limits. If not for the heat and traffic would be amazing place to live if you like urban environment.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot.Univ of Houston is a highly under rated football team and always exciting to watch. Only problem is old swc teams raiding our coaches (UT, A&m, Baylor). UH is is one of 3 1st Tier Tx Univ. Must be 2nd or 3rd largest state Unv in Tx.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I'd vote for a suburb of Houston, The Woodlands, Spring, Katy, etc..
Even Conroe isn't that far.

But I'll tell you this, the majority of the Texas lottery winners are from the Houston area.
I guess since it is the most populated city of the State.
Also if you speak Spanish, you'll have a huge advantage there..

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
Mobile and its not close. Houston is an over crowded cess pool. Texas beachs are nasty too. Destin and Orange Beach are so much better than even South Padre.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparrently you've never been to beaches In Corpus or south of there.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I spent some time in Mobile when the oilspill was going on....

I had a great time there...and it's handy near the beach...lots of great food/restaurants/anything you may need...

I'd go back there

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that we have heard from the Chambers of Commerce in all three locales, I think it is time for the OP to reveal his choice. It would be of interest to me if he would share the backstory as well.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cajuncoona
posted Hide Post
I have lived in all three. In Houston now.

Traffic in Houston is only bad if you want to swim with the 9-5 lay-z-boy crowd. Get a up a little early and it’s the Indy 500. Lots of options, completely safe in >99% of the metro and 100% outside it, and prices are good. No state income tax.

Montgomery is small, parochial and pretty insular Old South with politics and psychology to match. A lot of primadonna attitudes across the entire socioeconomic spectrum. But great access to hunting, 2.5h from Atlanta should the need arise, and some good people. Strong ‘hood vibe in large swaths of the town.

Mobile is great but the most coastal of the three. Eastern Shore is the place to be.

If it were me, I’d go Mobile but be sure to stay high and dry and as far back from Mobile Bay as practical to protect yourself from storm surge and winds.

--------------------------
--------------------------

"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." -- Admiral Yamamoto, electing instead to surprise attack Pearl Harbor

Posts: 83 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: June 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Considering the events of the past week I regret having spoken up in favor of Houston, and hope OP ignored my advice.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Mobile has a fantastic history and a wonderful culture. Daphne and Fairhope are nice places to live. The pier parties (especially July 4th) are fantastic. Make friends with someone that has a place on the bay.

Montgomery is a very distant 2nd and no way Houston ever...

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Considering the events of the past week I regret having spoken up in favor of Houston, and hope OP ignored my advice.

From what I've read so far, a 1000-year flood event flooded maybe 1% of homes in the area.

It's scary and it adds up to a hell of a lot of money but I don't think it is a compelling reason not to live there.

Plenty of other places have hurricanes or wildfires or tornadoes or earthquakes or tsunamis or whatever.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that Houston is off of the table now?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Looks like Mobile had been getting the most votes. From what I've read: Were it me, being a guy who prefers smaller towns and loves being close to water, I think that's the way I'd be leaning.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post