SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you had to live somewhere - Mobile, Montgomery, or Houston, TX?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you had to live somewhere - Mobile, Montgomery, or Houston, TX? Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Move to Daphne/Fairhope. You will never want to leave. Houston is a smelly dump. You have to get pretty far away from it, and that will never be as nice as Fairhope. We live in Pensacola and my wife wants to move to Fairhope.
That's where she goes for her girls weekend every year for the past 18 years. She could go anywhere.

Yep. Fairhope is nice. The high class folks hang out at Point Clear. Bellingrath Gardens is close by. Lots of old Southern money in the area.

We spent the first 3 days of our honeymoon in Point Clear. That's where my wife and her friends spend their girls weekend. Great place, except for a horse that tried to kill me...

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
I'd choose Montgomery closely over Mobile, because it is landlocked (distance from hurricanes, etc.), and because I graduated from Auburn, which is fairly close (the loveliest village on the plains!).
My oldest daughter went to college in Mobile, & I always enjoyed going there. I found lots of things to do when visiting.

I've never been to Houston, but I know a few people who live there. They've never made Houston sound like a place I need to visit.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My choice is Mobile. I lived there for a number of years, and loved it there. Near the water, fresh seafood, true southern traditions, great food, and down home hospitality......what is not to like??

I have zero desire to live in Houston!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GT-40DOC,

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
I'd choose Montgomery closely over Mobile, because it is landlocked (distance from hurricanes, etc.), and because I graduated from Auburn, which is fairly close (the loveliest village on the plains!).
My oldest daughter went to college in Mobile, & I always enjoyed going there. I found lots of things to do when visiting.

I've never been to Houston, but I know a few people who live there. They've never made Houston sound like a place I need to visit.

I live in Montgomery. I have lived in Houston (Friendswood) and I have been to Mobile.

Of the three, I like right where I am. Small, quiet, sensible. It is hot, though not as humid ad Mobile and Houston. Good ranges, decent medical care, and plenty to do.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heatinajeep
posted Hide Post
I'd strike the gump from list (Montgomery).

-shithole.

Houston - 2nd of my choices. Traffic is shit mate. It's bloody fucking hot.

Mobile would be my choice of the 3. Closer than Houston to water (overall) and the water is' closest too is much nicer than htown.

Posts: 1976 | Location: Moody, AL | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The weather are the same between Mobile and Houston, and I doubt Montgomery weather is different enough to matter much.

Houston is a big city, with all the advantages that carries. Arts, music, food, culture, pro sports. It is close to good fishing and hunting. It is in Texas. It also has all the disadvantages big cities have, although it is not as dense as most very large cities.

Montgomery and Mobile are much smaller.

That is what it comes down to. Do you like the big city or small ones?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Move to Daphne/Fairhope. You will never want to leave. Houston is a smelly dump. You have to get pretty far away from it, and that will never be as nice as Fairhope. We live in Pensacola and my wife wants to move to Fairhope.
That's where she goes for her girls weekend every year for the past 18 years. She could go anywhere.

Yep. Fairhope is nice. The high class folks hang out at Point Clear. Bellingrath Gardens is close by. Lots of old Southern money in the area.
I rode my motorcycle from Keesler AFB, Mississippi over to the Bellingragh Gardens in 1975 one weekend. It was fabulous. The owner's wife had a huge collection of Boehm (Böhm) porcelain in a separate building--stunning. I enjoyed it a lot.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics...ghtinmontgomery.html

If Alan Jackson sings about a town it is a town worth living in.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I was born in south Alabama and spent most of my childhood there. I travel to TX pretty regularly for work and have spent a bunch of time in Houston. There is way more to do in and around Houston. The summer sucks in both places. The traffic is pretty bad in Houston, tons of road construction. One of the big downsides to Houston is that it seems to flood out regularly. If I had to pick one though. I'd go with Houston.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I've lived in Montgomery for 9 months, no thanks.

I have also lived in TX. My vote would be Houston if your lungs can take the poor air quality that I remember. Lots of factories and smoke IIRC. Asthma, allergies, COPD, etc stay away!!

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1- Mobile.... that city is an anomaly in the state of AL. There's not another city in the state it can really be compared to

2- Houston

3- monkeytown (no thanks)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a bunch of you did War College in MGM. Yeah, if I had to live near Maxwell, I would hate Montgomery too.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mobile by a country mile. I lived in P-Cola for a spell and visited Mobile. Relatives used to live in the Houston area (Friendswood, Conroe, and the Heights). I have visited Montgomery and took War College in correspondence so I wouldn't have to go back. Wink

Don't forget that Houston has a propensity to flood every time it gets a moderate-heavy rain. They have yet to realize that paving everything south of The Woodlands and not leaving anywhere for water to run off is a bad idea. I would ensure that my residence and the egresses/ingresses were not likely to flood easily.

Mobile would be my first choice, but I'm a small-town guy.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have family around Houston, and between Montgomery and Birmingham. Mom and Dad are still in S. Alabama, so I'd lean Montgomery. Mobile seamed nice the one visit, but family proximity would take precedence.

Montgomery does have the very fine Alabama Shakespeare Festival.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mobile. It's on the coast (gulf), not inland. Good restaurants, people are nice, good airport.......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you know what part of Houston you would be working / living in? We lived there for a number of years and really enjoyed it. But location is everything.

Posts: 694 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mobile first on the list.
Houston second.
I live close enough to Montgomery to know how bad it can be.
I'm sure the other two have negatives also but no freakin' way I'd live in Montgomery.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I spent a year one day trying to drive through Houston. I'll never go back.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nmsu:
Do you know what part of Houston you would be working / living in? We lived there for a number of years and really enjoyed it. But location is everything.

If I'm reading my google map right, it looks like it would either be Aldine City or Westwood. Not sure which location.

Keep it coming, guys! This is more helpful than you know.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I'd go with Houston as long as I could live in one of the nice suburban areas and didn't have to commute too far.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post