SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you had to live somewhere - Mobile, Montgomery, or Houston, TX?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you had to live somewhere - Mobile, Montgomery, or Houston, TX? Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
If you had to live in one of these places for at least 15 months (Mobile, Montgomery (AL), or Houston), which would it be and why? Or perhaps more importantly, which would it not be and why not?

All considerations are relevant.

Please share and discuss in as much detail as possible.

Thanks.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Houston is a hell hole but at least it's in Texas. And jhe888 knows where there's hookers and blow.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
All have their nice areas and their not-so-nice areas, and all are H-O-T in the summer. If you can live in the eastern shore area of Mobile (Baldwin County), that would probably be my first choice. Mobile has character and good access to great beaches. Houston would be second, not because I love it but because I'm not a fan of Montgomery.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Houston is a hell hole but at least it's in Texas. And jhe888 knows where there's hookers and blow.

It is? Confused
It is hot/humid that is in agreement. Frown
Can't speak for the differences from Mobile though.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Mobile and Montgomery are in the sticks. If you can handle Olympic-level traffic and don't mind being a minority, Houston is the way to go.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm on my 2nd stint living in Houston, and have never been to Alabama.

Pros:
  • Houston is Oil & gas hub. Companies have been pulling their people out of Mobile Bay, New Orleans, etc. for years and putting their jobs in Houston. Despite the industry hurting there are still a metric shit tons of good paying jobs here.
  • Houston medical industry. Research and teaching hospitals abound, #1 cancer hospital in US, and people from all over travel to Houston for medical care (i.e my buddy's friend has cancer and travels from Colorado to Houston for cancer treatment).
  • The Texas and Gulf Coast food is amazing, and over 100 languages spoken in Houston as it's a major international city which means there are numerous genres of food beyond Texas and Gulf Coast.
  • Houston is home of 2 of the Top 10 and 7 of top 50 BBQ joints in Texas. We know how to smoke meat and don't need to cover up lack of skill with a weird mayonnaise based bbq sauce.

Cons:
  • The humidity is miserable, but I doubt Mobile is any better.
  • The traffic is miserable. It's not as bad as LA, DC, NYC, or Boston but it sucks.
  • A lot of the infrastructure reminds me of a capitol city of a 3rd world country. Signs at IAH will have you in far left lane, and 100 yards later have you trying to switch 4 lanes. Areas of extreme wealth and extreme poverty. The highly expansive clay makes roads bumpy.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
    Picture of ChuckFinley
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jaaron11:
    All have their nice areas and their not-so-nice areas, and all are H-O-T in the summer. If you can live in the eastern shore area of Mobile (Baldwin County), that would probably be my first choice. Mobile has character and good access to great beaches. Houston would be second, not because I love it but because I'm not a fan of Montgomery.

^+1

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Step by step walk the thousand mile road
    Picture of Sig2340
    posted Hide Post
    I'd shoot myself in the foot.

Repeatedly, if necessary.

If forced, I'd choose Montgomery due to proximity to CMP South.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
    Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Caribou gorn
    Picture of YellowJacket
    posted Hide Post
    I have a little family (by marriage) in Houston. And it's pretty darn similar to Atlanta so I could live there. Beach is an hour away. It's a major city and comes with all of the good (entertainment, ease of travel, good food, etc) and bad (crime, traffic, etc) of big city living.

Mobile... Beach is close, fishing is good. If you can live in Daphne or Fairhope that'd be better.

Montgomery... no thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YellowJacket,

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Hobbs
    posted Hide Post
    Grew up 50 miles from Montgomery
    Lived three years in Mobile
    Visited Houston

Montgomery. Far enough from coast to stay clear of the brunt of Hurricanes and close enough to take a three hour drive mostly interstate, down to the beach on a whim or just traveling light for a weekend. Hunting and fishing is good in central Alabama. Montgomery is on the Alabama River.

That said, some will say the best part of central Alabama is no matter which direction you drive, you're leaving Big Grin

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I believe in the
    principle of
    Due Process
    Picture of JALLEN
    posted Hide Post
    It was no accident that the first indoor sports stadium was built in Houston.

Summers are hot, and it isn't a dry heat.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oh stewardess,
    I speak jive.
    Picture of 46and2
    posted Hide Post
    Houston has so much more to offer. World class food and entertainment and shopping.

Alabama has football fans and woods, mostly, some beaches as well.

All three locations have significant drawbacks, but at least there's shit to do in Houston.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of P250UA5
    posted Hide Post
    Biased, but Houston for sure. Never been to Mobile.
    Born & raised here & have no real intention of leaving, aside from post-retirement buying some property in the Hill country.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    As a kid I went to 8th and 9th grade in Mobile. In the CG I was on a ship in Galveston, TX for 2 years (82-84) and lived in Corpus Christi for 6 months in 85. Later stationed in Mobile as an adult from 89-94 and 98-02.

I love Mobile, and wouldn't even consider Montgomery or Houston over Mobile. Mobile is a fairly small town, Houston is the 3rd largest city in the country. Are you a small town guy or a big city guy?

I'm a small town guy, so a place the size of Mobile is just about perfect for me. The only down side to Mobile for us was the public schools, yet I went to them and so did my son (albeit only a couple of years for each of us). One of the reasons we moved to the Memphis area in 02 over staying in Mobile was the proximity to my job (I could have commuted like most pilots do) and the school issue. I don't know about the school system in Houston, but I would guess that its better than those of Mobile or Montgomery.

Mobile is pretty close to the gulf, so its just as vulnerable to hurricanes as Houston. The beaches within an hour or two of Mobile (Gulf Shores, Pensacola, Destin and others) are much nicer (in my opinion) than those in Galveston south of Houston.

Traffic in Mobile is kind of hosed along Airport Blvd and on the back roads during rush hours, but otherwise its easy to get around. Can't imagine having to put up with the sprawling traffic jams that plague Houston daily.

Montgomery is the capital and has an Air Force base nearby if you able to shop on base that could be a factor. I don't have much other knowledge about Montgomery.

Being a small southern town the politics in Mobile take some getting used to, but I consider it my adopted home town and would definitely choose it for a short (or permanent) stint over a large metro city like Houston. Nothing against Houston or Texas, just my personal preference.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    If you see me running
    try to keep up
    Picture of mrvmax
    posted Hide Post
    You can live around Houston and still be near enough to everything without having to live in the "hell hole". I'm not sure about the economy in those other places but Texas is going strong. Houston itself votes Dem but there are plenty of conservatives all around. The 9 month summer sucks, the possibilities of hurricanes suck but they are infrequent enough that you may never see one. Traffic sucks too but I've seen worse (Austin comes to mind). There are plenty of ranges around and probably any type of shooting you want to do. I stay here due to the job market, I don't ever foresee being without a job and if I don't like where I'm at I have multiple other places to work. Lastly, everyone knows Texas is the best state anyway so there's nothing really to consider.

Posts: 4101 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    thin skin can't win
    Picture of Georgeair
    posted Hide Post
    I had an opportunity for a sweet gig in Montgomery several years ago, while still with kids at home. I am from Bham, went to Auburn, have a sister and BIL who live in Montgomery, along with some friends from college. I went for an on-site visit but turned down the gig; everything I suspected would be issues with the area were, and worse. Still get there pretty regular now, it's not better. At all.

I think of those three I'd pick Mobile, but Mobile and Houston both suck for weather, humidity and for Houston gridlock and crime.

Maybe another job? Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Info Guru
    Picture of BamaJeepster
    posted Hide Post
    No way I'd voluntarily live in Montgomery or Houston. Montgomery is landlocked, hot and there is nothing there. Houston is massive, gridlocked traffic, hot, humid - not for me.

Out of those choices, it would definitely be Mobile for me.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
    - John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    We gonna get some
    oojima in this house!
    Picture of smithnsig
    posted Hide Post
    Daphne/Fairhope Alabama is a bout 5,miles from mobile over the causeway. It is a fantastic place. mobile isn't a small town. It is a medium sized city with great food. The gulf is 30 minutes away.
    Orange Beach/ Gulf Shores. Pensacola is 30 minutes away.

Move to Daphne/Fairhope. You will never want to leave. Houston is a smelly dump. You have to get pretty far away from it, and that will never be as nice as Fairhope. We live in Pensacola and my wife wants to move to Fairhope.
    That's where she goes for her girls weekend every year for the past 18 years. She could go anywhere.

Think Savanna, Georgia but with a gulf coast flair.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Move to Daphne/Fairhope. You will never want to leave. Houston is a smelly dump. You have to get pretty far away from it, and that will never be as nice as Fairhope. We live in Pensacola and my wife wants to move to Fairhope.
    That's where she goes for her girls weekend every year for the past 18 years. She could go anywhere.

Yep. Fairhope is nice. The high class folks hang out at Point Clear. Bellingrath Gardens is close by. Lots of old Southern money in the area.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of arabiancowboy
    posted Hide Post
    Have lived in all 3. I do love Texas, but don't care for Houston. Of those I'd pick Mobile. Close to the beach, and plenty to do in the area. Montgomery has gotten a lot nicer in the past few years.

Caveat: I don't like big cities and don't care for Houston. Also, I don't care for Houston one bit. Have I mentioned Houston is my least favorite?

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post