SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Waterproof - lamination / shrink wrap service?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waterproof - lamination / shrink wrap service? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I know this will sound stupid. But I'm kayaking a lot these days.

I've been putting my car remote into zip lock bags (double bag). But I'm still worried about getting the keys wet - the bags tearing or the zip lock failing.

I'm wondering if I can get the remote laminated / shrink wrapped. Basically put the remote in a form fitting container that can be sealed closed.

That way it won't be bulky in my pocket, will be durable and waterproof. And I just break the seal when I need to change batteries (and then re-laminate / shrink wrap).

Too stupid to even respond? Or is there something / someplace I can use?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pelican 1010. Keys and phone go inside. Case goes into my life jacket pocket. Done. Just pick the 10 series case that best fits your phone or keys.
Also: I dummy cord the Pelican to the vest so I don't drop it overboard.
And this is kinda cool: Pelican 9000. Case with built in 200 lumen light. Could be handy!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YooperSigs,

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Waterpr...s=pelican+micro+case

A small pelican case would be perfect for you, pick the size you need. They're waterproof and crushproof.

https://www.rei.com/c/dry-bags...ry%3Adry-bags&page=1

Another option would be a dry bag, this is what I use when I'm kayaking. I put sensitive electronics in ziplock bags anyway for redundancy, but I have never had water get into my dry bag in 20 years on the water.

Whatever route you choose, make sure it is physically attached to the boat so if something does happen, it doesn't get away from you. I've seen a few people lose their cell phones/ car keys because they capsized and they either floated away or sunk. A guy on one of the float trips I was on had to get someone to bring him spare car keys from 200 miles away after he lost his originals and couldn't drive home.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Pelican 1010. Keys and phone go inside. Case goes into my life jacket pocket. Done. Just pick the 10 series case that best fits your phone or keys.

This is what I use and have found to work the best. I tried dry bags and found them to be a pain in the butt. The 10 series does the job well.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I saw that TYR bag before but was averse because of all the leakage / breakage reviews.

Pelican is a nice find. Didn't think about that. It's a little larger / bulky than I would like but it's good for now while I continue to search for something a little more form fitting.

I'm not sure I can fit the Pelican comfortably into my shorts pockets but I'll try.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
You could get a vacuum sealer and do it yourself, and then you would have a vacuum sealer for all the other things vacuum sealers are useful for.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
You could get a vacuum sealer and do it yourself, and then you would have a vacuum sealer for all the other things vacuum sealers are useful for.

This was going to be my recommendation.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have used dry bags like those in the REI link above.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:

Any recommendation for brand / model? I was looking at bags and seems like smallest is 1 pint (still a little large). Unless I can minimize the size based on the key size....

posted Hide Post
Get a dry-bag, a small one from Sea-to-Summit works, there's many others, check out Sports Basement or, any outdoor shop. Put essentials like keys, phone, ID into a small Pelican-type box, most outdoor shops carry a few, dive shops will carry a wider variety. Otherwise, you can clip your small dry-bag to your vest with a small carabiner.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I can do this. But prefer to keep ID and keys in my zippered pocket (ie - on person).

I tend not to carry stuff in vests, jackets, etc. I often forget / it's tedious to transfer when I take off those things. So, generally try to keep stuff on my person (in something that I'm not putting on / off).

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:

Any recommendation for brand / model? I was looking at bags and seems like smallest is 1 pint (still a little large). Unless I can minimize the size based on the key size....

Most vacuum sealers will have a way to just seal a bag without doing the vacuum part. You can put something small in any size bag and just seal it down to the right size and cut away the excess.

For that matter, you could just buy vacuum bags and an inexpensive bag sealer and skip the vacuum part completely.

Foodsaver is the usually-recommended entry-level vacuum sealer machine, Weston makes more commercial-grade units.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Cool. Thanks. Never had one before - no idea how they work Smile

I'll check out the Foodsaver machines.

ETA: pet peeve - this is another instance of Amazon fail when trying to find a bag / vacuum sealer on Prime w/out a bunch of PRC made crap.

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Put a lock box on trailer and lock items inside. Carry one key, or use combo lock and carry no key. Unplug while enjoying nature. Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I use loksak bags.

I dropped my galaxy s7 in a reservoir and had to jump out and find it.

Took me about 15 minutes feeling around with my toes but I got it. Used it while I was standing in the water to make sure it still worked and then filmed under water with it.

I was glad I bought them at a fishing expedition show where the lady had her ipad in a fish tank and using it to show they really work.

Since then I've purchased them in all sizes and use them for emergency kits, fishing kits and hiking/camping. Pretty much anything where I want to protect from sand/fine particles and water.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I accidentally left my truck (GMC) keys with remote in my jeans when I washed them. Thought for sure the remote would be toast. Nope...worked just fine. Has a "O" ring around the edge of the case. Now, would I do it again intentionally...no way.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure whatever you put them in- It Floats.

I've found a lot of items in bags at the bottom of the lake.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13400 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I just had a plain key made. It’s thin and light and can be tied to something so it doesn’t get lost. Doesn’t matter if it gets wet. It just unlocks the door. The key with the chip is stashed in the locked vehicle.

Surfers here often have Master Lockboxes made to go around door knob shafts and find places where they can be attached to the frame. I like the plain key.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post