SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The importance of being aware of your surroundings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The importance of being aware of your surroundings Login/Join 
posted
Canadian here. Was visiting my girlfriend and she pointed this fella cruisin' along the sidewalk, not too far from the main part of town and the Starbucks. I told her to stop and I snapped a photo.

The bear decided to cross the road and he crosses RIGHT behind a teenage boy who had his headphones on and I imagine his music on loud. The kid turns around and the bear is no more than 10 feet behind him. The kid kept his composure and the bear scurried off into the bushes.

We were stopped and as the kid walked by the vehicle, I asked the kid if he was alright, just said "that thing gave me a heart attack!" and kept going along his way. I don't know if I would've been that calm, but maybe that's shock for ya.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Pound for pound, a Canadian is smarter, faster and, more powerful than a black bear. That's why they stay hiddin in the forest so they dont get whooped... Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The kid keeping calm is probably what save his behind.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
The kid keeping calm is probably what save his behind.

Ignorance is bliss?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Pound for pound, a Canadian is smarter, faster and, more powerful than a black bear. That's why they stay hiddin in the forest so they dont get whooped... Big Grin

Trouble is there are only 180 of those pounds on a person and 350 on a bear.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That is a large BB.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
In late September 2015, I walked out early one morning to my woodpile to get a few logs with which to stoke the fire and warm up the house.

I wasn't paying any particular attention to anything, and after bending over and grabbing a few pieces, I stood back and noticed that on the other side of the woodpile (no more than 10-15ft away) was a bear in the 200-250lb range.

We locked eyes, and it seemed that neither one of us knew what exactly to do at the moment. Then it dawned on me that I was screwed. I couldn't run if I needed to due to my buggered up ankle, and I was unarmed and about 40 yards from my door. Thankfully, as is usually the case, he was more spooked of me and he snorted and bolted off about 50 yards in the other direction before just moseying on.

It was a hell of a way to wake up in the morning.

Here's a crappy iPhone pic of him behind my shed.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:

Big Grin
I used to work for Nortel. One of my trips to Ottawa a group of us went down to the cafeteria for lunch. They had an outdoor area with benchs and tables and since it was a nice day that where we went to eat. About 5 minutes after we sat down I noticed people out on the far end starting to get up and head for the building. A couple of black bears had come out of the woods near by, probably drawn by the smell of food, and were approaching the area. I saw lots of Canadians smart enough to go inside, but none of them powerful enough to stand their ground against a hungry bear.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Gustofer, in such a situation, should one try to keep a tight rein on their bowels or just allow them to run free? Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
These critters are the reason I quit Spring turkey in the hills back in NY State. They like to visit peoples property for food.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
quote:

Big Grin
I used to work for Nortel. One of my trips to Ottawa a group of us went down to the cafeteria for lunch. They had an outdoor area with benchs and tables and since it was a nice day that where we went to eat. About 5 minutes after we sat down I noticed people out on the far end starting to get up and head for the building. A couple of black bears had come out of the woods near by, probably drawn by the smell of food, and were approaching the area. I saw lots of Canadians smart enough to go inside, but none of them powerful enough to stand their ground against a hungry bear.
In a situation like that, discretion is definitely the better part of valor. Big Grin

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2084 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Why did the bear cross the road? To be caught on camera and put on SIGforum. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post