SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kitchen Remodel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitchen Remodel Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
Ugh..Just getting the process started. Had one designer cabinet maker over and they are working on several proposed layouts. Have had 2 separate contractors over. One works with the designer/cabinet maker that is doing the layouts.
The other is a turn key guy and does everything.
He came highly recommended by my son in law who is a plumber and has worked with this guy before several times.

Wife and I have gone several places looking at cabinets, counter tops and appliances.
I'm already hating this process. It's a smaller kitchen and just really needs a upgrade and it just can't be put off any longer.

We want cabinets that are better than the big box store stuff but we don't want to go crazy either. It's a older home and we don't plan on going anywhere so were in for the long run.
We don't want to over upgrade the kitchen to the point it detracts from the rest of the house.

We are not even close to getting any pricing together. Not much can happen until you have a layout and get square footage on cabinets counter tops etc.

Structurally everything is staying the same. No addition or anything.
Plan on living in the motor home for a couple weeks and let the contractors do their thing.

Have no clue what to expect on prices. Anyone done a remodel lately using contractors?
I'd be interested in hearing your experience and pricing if you're willing to share.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It really depends on what level of cabinets,counter tops and appliances. Easy to spend $15,000.
We had Lowes do the cabinets. We didn’t order their top of the line cabinets yet ours are very nice.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I hate Ikea but I got a whole new kitchen (counters, cabinets, sink, faucets, appliances etc.) for right at 10k. I paid for their guys to install it (that was more) and it looks great plus there’s a 20 (or is it 25?) year warranty on the cabinets and I think 5 year on appliances. I’m very pleased with how it turned out and would never have had it done and looked this good for the price.

Posts: 4077 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just remodeled our kitchen, but we did it ourselves. Our kitchen is 10'x14' "L" shaped with a 3'x7' peninsula. We chose Home Depot to order the cabinets and counter tops from. We chose their lowest priced granite and American Woodmark cabinets painted white. The cabinets are upgraded to plywood sides, but not all plywood construction. We got them while they were on sale and saved 20% on both, I think. I know they were on sale but don't remember what percentage, maybe 30% on the cabinets and 20% on the counter tops. That bill alone came to just over $10k.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Did mine 2 years ago.

Don't overlook added or upgraded lighting, wiring and plumbing.
What about the floor. We replaced the vinyl with tile.

2 weeks sounds a little optimistic. Wait time for our custom cabinets was ~6 weeks, and then another couple for the granite install. (they would not come make the templates until the cabinets were set) So coordinating in advance is a bear.

The Kitchen is often the most important room in the house. Get it right, even if it takes a little extra time and money. Happy wife, happy life and all that!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Adding some photos for followup of my previous post. I did all the work except building the Cabinets and Granite. All new wiring. I moved the stove, fridge, and dish washer locations. I also refinished all the wood trim and doors and laid the tile floor. Took about two months in my spare time while I was still working a full time job... thankfully we weren't living in the house at the time.

BEFORE

DURING

AFTER

IN USE... Wife is happy camper!

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Pricing can vary greatly depending on the cabinets/countertops/tile etc.

Now is the time if you want to change/add any outlets to the cabinet.

If you're going granite countertops we always wait till the cabinets are in and then have the granite guys come out and do a layout on site.

Since your going to be there for the long haul make sure anything you want is discussed now. Much easier and cheaper to add an outlet or move a light now than a year after the new work is done.

You say older home but how old? If any electrical needs updating now is the time. Home today have different needs then homes 30-40+ years ago.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
cparktd, I approve. Looks great from Virginia.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
cparktd, nice work, we had a very similar setup but with a drop ceiling. Got rid of the hanging cabinets at the pass thru like you did and redid ceiling of course and really opened up the kitchen. Had to go with a counter depth fridge which has no room.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!
Picture of MaThGr82
posted Hide Post
We did this three years ago. A couple of things to consider.

Go bigger than you think you'll need. We got large pot rollout drawers and it's been great for pots and pans.

Looking back, I wish I'd have done an in-island microwave since we don't use ours much.

I also wish I'd have gotten a larger hood since we cook so much.

Here is the cabinet company we went with...very high quality stuff and three years later, it still looks great! About 6 weeks from submitting the order to receiving them, but worth the wait!

https://www.crowncabinets.com

Posts: 6302 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
cparktd, I approve. Looks great from Virginia.

Thank you sir... it sure was hot in August pulling the new wiring, about ten minuets at a time and I was ready for some relief! But I'm sure you know exactly what I mean.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
cparktd, nice work, ..... Had to go with a counter depth fridge which has no room.

Thanks!

I got really lucky on the fridge. We wanted a full depth fridge and there was a dead space underneath the attic access stairway so I was able to push the wall back 4 inches. That was as far as I could push it because the stairway interfered beyond that.

posted Hide Post
Very nice job cparktd! I don't have the skills or tools to tackle any of this on my own so I'm at the mercy of the contractors.
The wiring is in the house is good to go and won't need any changing however I am going to change lighting fixtures and add some overhead cabinet lights I think. We are putting a floating floor over the existing linoleum.

I figure two weeks of living in the RV once cabinets have been done and ready for the install. We are being told 4 to 8 weeks on cabinets and counter tops from time of order.
Wife likes the quartz counter tops we looked at over the granite but we are told that pricing for either has more to do with color chosen and how many square feet. Granite can be $10 more or less a square foot than quartz depending on color.

Thought about the new poured concrete counter tops which is supposed to be much cheaper but I've read they have all the problems of regular concrete with cracking and chipping. Also need to be sealed every couple of years or they have a tendency to stain.

We have a kitchen island now but decided to not go with one on this remodel. We are going to utilize space more efficently to get more cabinets and counter top space with out the island.

We are going with a corner booth rather than using the island as a eating space as we do now. This gets the island out of the middle of the kitchen and opens it up. Should be a cost saving measure as well as islands are expensive.

Oh we have two double hung windows side by side that we want replaced with a bow window to open things up and bring more light in the kitchen. This is a option and could be pulled out if prices run over as the windows are fairly new and in good shape.

Expecting to hear on the layouts this week so by next week we should be starting to pull some pricing together. I'm thinking of a rough budget of $30K? Ugh...

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Wow! Beautiful kitchen, but no microwave?

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
When we built this home, we used Lowes. They were custom made to our specs, had the best prices and have held up very well for the last 13 years. Ours is a big country kitchen, granite counter tops, and a full pantry. Think the final cost was around 12 grand.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my biggest pet peeve: shallow cupboards and counter tops.

what god came down from what mountain and declared 32 inch deep cupboards and counter tops are forbidden , forever?

heaven forbid that your new refrigerator does not stick out 8 1/2 inchs in to the walk way Roll Eyes

cheese and crackers that punch's my button.

when is the last time you heard anyone pissing and moaning that they had way too much counter or cupboard space?

Never !

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck, we're getting new countertops in a few weeks, just got them measured. I hate dealing with contractors. Only met a few who are true professionals.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son is in the middle of his kitchen remodel.

He ordered his cabinets from a company in Mich. You have to assemble them, but they are good quality, they look a lot like the ones Petr showed.
We hung them all and that was easy enough.

When my wife and I were looking at cabinets, we had a cabinet maker come over and he quoted 25K all the work done, with sink and counter tops. Our kitchen is small though. I think my son has less than 1/5th that in his.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man this is a slow painfull process! We got a quote from the designer on kitchen cabinets. $17 grand without counter tops! Another 6 to 8 grand if we want quartz or granite! I did every thing I could to be polite in turning down their proposal.

So we are dealing with the turn key contractor and he is waiting on quotes from several cabinet sources and should get back to us in a couple of days.
So just to make it feel like some sort of progress is being made we went and bought all our appliances. The supplier will warehouse them until needed. Went with all GE because the wife fell in love with the slate colored stainless. GE has a lock on that color so it made it easy.

Got a double oven so I'm looking forward to that.
But damn there is a long way to go. Still have to pick out flooring, new light fixtures, paint for the walls, cabinets, counter tops, cabinet hardware sink, faucets, it's seemingly endless!!Ugghh!!