SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How many lumens is too many for an indoor flashlight?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many lumens is too many for an indoor flashlight? Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I turn them down until they don't set the house on fire.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I dont like a light I cant weld with pd35tac is just about right.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who is amazed that only a scant few years ago 60 lumens out of a two cell light was THE TACTICAL OUTPUT!!!!

I am not that old but old enough to remember seeing MP5s as a kid with giant ass maglites or other similar lights on them.

Now.....I mean I have AAA lights that put out like 100 lumens+.

My older TLR-1 lights were plenty bright and still are but next to my 800 lumen one I feel like I have an oil lamp attached to my gun. Smile.

I remember getting my first HDS 60 light and was gobsmacked that it put out 60 lumens on a single battery. (STILL A FANTASTIC LIGHT BY THE WAY).

We are basically to the point where you could have a 100 plus lumen light as part of a recoil assembly alla the red dots.

It’s pretty amazing how quickly LEDs have matured.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Am I the only one who is amazed that only a scant few years ago 60 lumens out of a two cell light was THE TACTICAL OUTPUT!!!!

I am not that old but old enough to remember seeing MP5s as a kid with giant ass maglites or other similar lights on them.

My older TLR-1 lights were plenty bright and still are but next to my 800 lumen one I feel like I have an oil lamp attached to my gun. Smile.

I remember getting my first HDS 60 light and was gobsmacked that it put out 60 lumens on a single battery. (STILL A FANTASTIC LIGHT BY THE WAY).

We are basically to the point where you could have a 100 plus lumen light as part of a recoil assembly alla the red dots.

Yep. My bedside light at the moment is an original 6P. 65 lumens for 60 minutes! I need to convert it to a Malkoff led.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

This sounds right. If you're leaving scorch marks on the walls or making the drapes smoke it might be too much.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dynorat:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

This sounds right. If you're leaving scorch marks on the walls or making the drapes smoke it might be too much.

Co-workers used to refer to my flashlight as a death ray.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I recall when there was a light for the Ma Deuce that was 5,000 lumens. It was about $3,500.

Soon Harbor Freight will offer them free with a qualifying purchase

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
My older TLR-1 lights were plenty bright and still are but next to my 800 lumen one I feel like I have an oil lamp attached to my gun. Smile

My brother managed to get ahold of a Surefire foreend for his MP5. He was pretty excited about it and when we got together, he was demoing it against the wall in late afternoon. It was visible yellow beam against the wall alright. I couldn't help myself. I went and fetched the Glock with the TLR1-HL and shined against his same spot and lit up the whole half of the room. He's been looking at an LED conversion since. He said much the same thing, cslinger. Wink

Posts: 17122 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Next thing you know, you're gonna ask us "How much ammo is too much?" Wink

You can get away with 100 lumen.
You can get up to 5500 lumen.

It's all on how you use it.

Handheld flood lights are about 200 lumen, but throw out a lot of light over a wide area!
You can get a good weapon / handheld with a strobe feature that kicks out about 500 lumen.

How much do you want to spend? How big do you want? How long do you want it to last? Find a balance between amount of light and battery life.

You get a 3000 lumen output on two 123 batteries, and it's not last long at all. But the sun is gonna be jealous for about 30 seconds Cool

You probably don't want a clunky 16 lb light at your nightstand either, but it's going to be on until the sun comes up.

If you shine the light into a mirror and it bounces back in your face... well, guess what Eek
White walls, not so much with the newer LED and "softer" light bulbs. Again, it's all on how you use them.

I've got a Tlr-1s (s-Strobe feature) that's about 300 lumen on my pistol and an Inforce that's 400 & 800 on my AR that suit me perfectly.
Handheld? The Surefire, Maglights and Streamlight work great, and have lasted thru my use and abuse for years. Everyone raves about the Fenix lights.

Get something that's SIMPLE to use, and an EASY TO FIND switch.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Excellent point.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
My 6P LED or TLR-1's are more than enough for anything inside or immediately outside the house. If I had acres and acres of space I'd probably get semething stronger.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I'm happy with my Fenix PD35 Tac, it rarely gets turned down from 1000 lums.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Nitecore P36. 2000 lumens with 10 lower settings. It covers all possible situations. It is outstanding for outside uses and lowers to 2 lumens on the lowest setting. I like it so much I bought a second one.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find 350 to be perfect in both regular homes and in brick and mortar store sized buildings

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I'm happy with my Fenix PD35 Tac, it rarely gets turned down from 1000 lums.

I have that same light and agree. I am from the "more is always better" camp, because you can always "turn them down".
I have a couple 2200 lumen lights attached to my bike for night riding. Even those have different settings.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post