SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Immigrant students at Berkeley demand to not have to take class exams and accuse professor of white supremacy when he refuses their demand
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Immigrant students at Berkeley demand to not have to take class exams and accuse professor of white supremacy when he refuses their demand Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
The spokespuke was yelling "You have to listen to us" like she meant it, like it was a seriously held belief, like it's in the founding documents.

The part she's missing and that she is afraid is on the test, is that she has the right to say whatever she wants, but I, or you, or others do not have the obligation to listen. Nope. Not even a little. In fact we have the right to laugh right the fuck out loud into her shrieking face.
Yep. Folks have a right to speak, but we don't have to give them a platform. AND we don't have to listen.

quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Back in the day, my days of the late '50's, one of the Jocks would get into her face and tell her to STFU and sit down.

But we can't do that today, 'cause it would hurt her feelings and might traumatize other students.
Good! I'm for it!

And regarding "Oriental"--that is the term that was in use when I was growing up and I see no need to change it. I really don't care that some now consider it inappropriate. I don't like hyphenated attributes (I use "Black" instead of "African-American") because I believe one either is an "American" or one is not. (I reluctantly changed from "Colored People" to "Black", mostly because it's shorter; the NAACP still uses the former terminology in its corporate name, after all.)

I am not one to adopt change just to change--there has to be a good reason for me to do so and I've not seen any good reason to begin using new terminology just because someone thinks the old term is degrading. "Asian" is too non-specific (Asia is a VERY big place)--"Oriental" ("from the East") is at least more specific.

When I was in school, Asia was divided into "The Far East" (China, Japan, Korea, etc.), "The Near East" (India--Pakistan didn't exist yet, Siam, Burma, Nepal, Tibet), "The Middle East" (Persia, Arabia, Afghanistan, etc.); "Southeast Asia" wasn't generally referred to separately back then--I guess it would have been part of "The Near East". Israel didn't exist yet, but Leganon and Turkey would have been called "Mediterranean". "Oriental" was still fairly broad--it included just about everything from Tibet eastward.

I am a creature of habit and am not ashamed of it. Live with it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
And I am guessing these fine folks have the vote.
Scary.
Eek

It's California, they may each get two or three.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Buckle up. The stupidity keeps growing and isn't going away anytime soon.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine a professor putting up with something like that when I was in college. Take the exam or take a zero. Either way sit down and be quiet or leave.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
take the exam and get a zero anyways

more than one way to deal with those self-important twunts

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It's more of the older generation that uses the term orientals. My oldest is half black and my two youngest are half white. I just call them half-breeds. It's faster than trying to explain to people. My oldest says he checks the black box or the asian box depending on what he's filling out. No clue what he is listed as in the army.

I showed the video to my daughter (she's 15) as to what types of people to expect in college and she just said, wow, i would probably have to smack some sense into her if i knew her.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Interesting how she is using her brown privilege of getting out of taking the test.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post