Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini Splits Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
I'm having a free standing 28'x 36' motorcycle room/shop built by the house. Perfectly even heat is not critical but I do want it well insulated and efficient to heat/cool. The interior will consist of three rooms; 24'x 28' with two rooms 12'x12' and 12'x 16' off to the side. No doors just 3' openings.
The builder has proposed a Carrier mini-split Performance 40MAQB18B-3 single zone Highwall, and 38MAQB18R-3 single zone outdoor.
I know nothing about mini-splits other than the names Mitsubishi and Toshiba. Carrier seems well thought of in conventional HVAC and is what the HVAC contractor, that my builder uses, sells.

Does a mini-split make sense for my application? Any thoughts good or bad regarding Carrier mini split?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
If I understand it right you want to provide heat and air in all three rooms which will be open with no doors on the rooms themselves. A mini-split could do the job with three high wall heads IMHO. I have used mini-splits in aircraft hangars for the offices with good success but not for the whoe hangar space.

I currently have a 3,575 sf shop and I use a Ruud heat pump and it stays comfortable year around. Due to the size of my shop a mini-split is not doable for me. I suggest you consult a Q manual to get a good idea of the size of units you need to handle the cubic feet of air in the building you are planning. Good luck, a shop is wonderful thing to have.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My thoughts are in the exact same thread you started last week

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:

Damn I thought I'd posted this question but when I searched somehow overlooked it and assumed my feeble old mind just forgot to so asked again.
Sorry I'll try to delete this.

And thanks for the reply tatortodd.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used this site or the Pioneer brand?
https://www.highseer.com/

Another question for the gurus: Any suggestions for finding a contractor or HVAC person to install customer provided equipment? Most of the places around here seem to only want to sell and install, and their prices are insane for the hardware. Frown

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post