SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The official NHL playoff thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The official NHL playoff thread Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
quote:
Ha ha, must be an angry Flyer fan. Love sticking it to all my Flyers fan pals last year and hopefully again this year too!

I don't want the Pens to win either...

But I am a happy Blue Jackets Fan Smile

I have my seats for game 3 & 4 & 6 (if needed).

Hopefully, I only have to go to games 3 & 4 to watch the completion of the CBJ sweeping the Pens, but taking it in 7 wouldn't upset me either Wink

Less than 24 hours now and we will be in the 3rd period.

CBJ, CBJ, CBJ...

Add me to the list of people who want Pens to lose (hopefully in four). With all due respect to the Pittsburgh folks, fuck the penguins, and especially fuck Kris Letang. I hate Pittsburgh with every fiber of my being.

I'm still pissed about this ^^

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:

Valid gripe, but no different than Brooks Orpik in the series:

Guess players sometimes make mistakes, dont they?

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Glass houses. Goes both ways. The Caps aren't exactly choirboys either.

Now for the ultimate goal:

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blindref:
I don't care who wins, as long as it's not the Pens.

Suck it Trebek!

Posts: 1312 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Pens have a tough row to hoe this year being so injury depleted. Plus Columbus first round and if they survive presumably the Caps in round 2.

Let's go Pens!

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Phukk the Penguins. Matt Cooke can eat a bag of shit. The CHEAP SHOT that began the end of Marc Savard's career:

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Cooke hasn't been with the Pens since 2013 and is out of the league.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
Don't give a rat's ass what that phukk-tard is up to. Let's just say I carry a grudge on this one, and the Penguins can still perform coitus on themselves.....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Yeo's focus is on playoffs, not revenge

Mike Yeo had been among the fortunate ones in hockey. He was one of the few blessed with enough foresight and good fortune to leave jobs on his own terms throughout his professional career.

As a player, he didn’t need a map out the door when his dreams of playing in the National Hockey League faded. He merely headed for the exit ramp before he was sent there. As a coach, whether in the American Hockey League as the head man or in the NHL as an assistant, he also charted his own path without being let go before finally drinking from that bitter lake when the Minnesota Wild fired him on Feb. 13, 2016.

Time has soothed that devastating rejection, but rest assured that Yeo won’t soon forget the raw emotions he felt when he was fired by the team his Blues will face in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

“The emotions of what happened at that time it was gut wrenching, to be perfectly honest,” Yeo said. “You have a job where you put in your heart and soul. It’s not just a job where you show up and you punch a ticket and you work hard. I mean you put literally your heart and soul.

“And then (when) that gets taken away from you, it’s a tough thing to deal with. That was my first experience. But I believe that, that has made me a better coach. Looking back at it I’m not disappointed that I went through it.”

Although he had led Minnesota to three consecutive playoff appearances, including consecutive trips to the second round, Yeo was fired with 27 games remaining in the 2015-16 season. He was 23-22-10 and suddenly unemployed.

Yeo, who was 173-132-44 in five years with the Wild, didn’t stay unemployed long. The Blues hired him as Ken Hitchcock’s associate head coach and so-called coach in waiting initially set to take over at the start of next season.

That wait proved to be short after goaltender Jake Allen and a sputtering defense cost Hitchcock his job. Yeo led the Blues to a 22-8-2 record, securing third place in the Western Conference’s Central Division to set up a homecoming against the Wild in the first round.

Yeo, 43, would rather keep the focus on the two veteran squads. The players, after all, are the ones who will have the biggest impact once the best-of-seven series starts Wednesday night at Xcel Energy Center.

Yeo and Wild coach Bruce Boudreau will match wits, but their game plans will go only so far if their goaltenders aren’t up to the challenge.

In Allen of the Blues and Devan Dubnyk of the Wild, the series features two goaltenders who have been among the best in the NHL at times this year. Allen was arguably the best in the final third of the season after being one of the worst for a stretch. Dubnyk was one of the league’s best this season, but he wasn’t nearly as dominant in the final third of the season.

Whatever the case, Yeo is confident that he’s a better coach in many ways than he was with the Wild.

He says he has improved in a lot of ways, including how he deploys his players and how he prepares the team.

“There’s certainly a different confidence when you come into your second job,” he said. “You’ve learned, obviously, a lot of the good things. That’s easy, but when you have to really dig in and look at the things you didn’t do well enough, to me that’s your real opportunity to grow. Nothing like getting fired to give you that opportunity.”

• STL SPORTS CHAT: Jesus Ortiz Live at 1 p.m.

When asked to elaborate what things he didn’t do well enough in Minnesota, Yeo politely declined.

More importantly, the Blues player who has known Yeo the longest is adamant that his coach won’t let the sting of last year’s firing cloud his judgment during the first-round series.

“Our goal as a group, and I’m sure his is the same, it’s to win a Stanley Cup,” said Kyle Brodziak, who played for the Wild during Yeo’s first four seasons in Minnesota. “Yeah, obviously there’s a storyline behind it. But his focus and our team’s focus is the same. It’s about playing our best game every night and giving ourselves the best chance to win.

“Going to play against the team you used to coach I’m sure deep down there’s some emotions about that, but at the end of the day his focus is going to be the same as ours. And that is to win the series.”

Yeo is 195-140-46 in the regular season in his career for a .572 winning percentage. He is only 11-17 all-time in the postseason for a .393 winning percentage.

He must improve that postseason winning percentage for the Blues to return to the Western Conference Finals after getting within two victories of the Stanley Cup Finals last year.

He cannot afford to dwell on the heartache he felt when the Wild told him he was no longer good enough to lead them.

“There’s just too much at stake and I will not allow it to get personal because my team, they need me to have the right mindset, to have the right focus, to have the right composure,” he said. “So for me this is playoff hockey. There’s something much more at stake, something that’s way bigger in my eyes than a little revenge here.

“It’s the pursuit of winning the Stanley Cup. That’s our focus. We have a real tough opponent in our way, and we’ll be ready for that.”

http://www.stltoday.com/sports...81-f54b75228b2a.html

GO.YEO!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I really appreciate Coach Yeo. He was a stalwart, star player back in the 90's with the IHL Houston Aeros and was a key figure in winning their Turner Cups before the merger with the AHL, captaining the team to victory. I'm really proud of him and Coach Dave Tippet (Turner Cup champion coach), as they were examples that set a path to the NHL. Along with Rob Valicevic, also of Houston Aero fame. Had season tix at the time and LOVED those games. Best value for the entertainment dollar in the history of Houston. But I might be biased...... Big Grin

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Some of the veteran Wild players most noteable Parise and Suter among a few others quit on Yeo.

You know who is going to go when the team gets in a bad funk and that's the coach not the players.
It's always been my opinion that the Wild payed way to much for Parise and Suter.
I didn't put Parise in the top 5 forwards of the league when the Wild got him. Suter has always been a blue chip blue liner but not worth that kind of money.

So they have kind of ham strung themseleves in terms of salary cap much like the Twins when they way over payed for Joe Mauer.

Unless Dubnyk returns to his first half of the season form the Blues are moving on from this series in six games. If Dubnyk does get back to form it goes 7 games with a slight edge to the Wild.

The Wild are a team of role players lacking that one true super star sniper who buries pucks in the back of the net. Kane, Toews, Taresenko, Ovechkin, Oshie are all guys who know how to score.

I lost count of how many break aways Haula has had but never buried the puck, How many times Coyle whiffed on the puck with half the net open.

It would seem the Wild have put the pressure on themselves that nothing less than winning the Cup is acceptable this year which I guess every team should be thinking that but the truth is the Wild just don't have the team to do it imo.

With that said, LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I really appreciate Coach Yeo. He was a stalwart, star player back in the 90's with the IHL Houston Aeros and was a key figure in winning their Turner Cups before the merger with the AHL, captaining the team to victory. I'm really proud of him and Coach Dave Tippet (Turner Cup champion coach), as they were examples that set a path to the NHL. Along with Rob Valicevic, also of Houston Aero fame. Had season tix at the time and LOVED those games. Best value for the entertainment dollar in the history of Houston. But I might be biased...... Big Grin

And yet Yeo won a Stanley Cup with ... the 2009 Pittsburgh Penguins.

I'm happy to see Yeo doing well, & if the Pens don't do well, I'd love to see the Blues win. After all they haven't won a cup in 50 years; or Toronto who has 13 cups but last won in 1966-67.

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^^^^^^

And yet Yeo won a Stanley Cup with ... the 2009 Pittsburgh Penguins.

I'm happy to see Yeo doing well, & if the Pens don't do well, I'd love to see the Blues win. After all they haven't won a cup in 50 years; or Toronto who has 13 cups but last won in 1966-67.

Caps haven't won a Stanly Cup yet, it's their turn. I can say throughout the entire Capitals history I have attended every Home Stanley Cup game the team has ever played. All two of them.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
quote:

Valid gripe, but no different than Brooks Orpik in the series:

Guess players sometimes make mistakes, dont they?

Really?? Rewatch the videos again, they are not even close. Letang leaped and put his shoulder into MoJo's face. Also where is the puck?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:

Caps haven't won a Stanly Cup yet, it's their turn. I can say throughout the entire Capitals history I have attended every Home Stanley Cup game the team has ever played. All two of them.

St. Louis has NEVER won a Cup & they've been in the league 50 years. It's nobody's turn. The team that survives and manages to win 16 games earns the Cup. That's why the players cherish the time they get and why the bonds of teammates that have won the Cup together last.

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Really?? Rewatch the videos again,

If you cannot admit that the Brook Orpik hit was illegal (Matta had long released the puck) and a bad play on his part, then we have nothing further to discuss.

Oh, I should mention that the Department of Player Safety took issue with the hit and suspended Orpik for 3 games, vs Letang taking a 1 game suspension for his hit.

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
quote:
Really?? Rewatch the videos again,

If you cannot admit that the Brook Orpik hit was illegal (Matta had long released the puck) and a bad play on his part, then we have nothing further to discuss.

Oh, I should mention that the Department of Player Safety took issue with the hit and suspended Orpik for 3 games, vs Letang taking a 1 game suspension for his hit.

I am not saying the Orpik hit wasn't clean, he threw his elbow in the guys face, the puck was way closer though than the Letang one. Also in the playoffs the threshold for getting suspended goes up as the officiating on ice does.

This is just a guess, but if you google Orpik cheap shots vs Letang cheap shots, you get more results for the later.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
but if you google Orpik cheap shots vs Letang cheap shots, you get more results for the later.

Never said Letang is a saint. He plays hard, but I don't think he's dirty. Now Matt Cooke mentioned above was a dirty player....

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
LET'S GO RANGERS!!

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
LET'S GO RANGERS!!

I'll second this. LGR!

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post