SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The official NHL playoff thread
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The official NHL playoff thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Ovi is a thug. Has been since he entered the league. He has been allowed to get away with his play because of his talent. He not only plays with an edge, he plays sneaky dirty. The NHL has allowed him to get away with it for his entire career. He is incredibly talented but seems to play at one extreme or another. He can disappear from games despite his talent, but when he feels he needs to impact a game against talent he loses touch with what his actions can cause. The man is 6'3" and 245. He is a beast. He possesses very good speed and regularly gets up a head of steam (charging) and not only leaving his feet at impact but leaping up and into the head area of opponents. He is known for doing this to totally unexpecting opponents. It's amazing he hasn't killed someone with some of the runs he's taken. He is also a master at slewfooting. The league has allowed this crap for years and has turned a blind eye until someone gets seriously injured.
The NHL makes a great show of removing fighting from the game, but would this have occurred if the Pens could dress someone like a Steve McIntyre or Bob Probert (and don't say Sestito, he is just big and doesn't really strike fear with his fights). Ovi, with his history of dirty play and blind-side hits and huge size (for hockey), hits and runs. In his pro career he has had 3 fights. Three.
Nisky has always played with a sneaky dirty edge, even when he was a Penguin. Not bad enough to maim anyone, but enough to disrupt and throw someone off their game. In this league you can get away with it until someone is seriously injured. He has been relentlessly cheap and chippy with Crosby through the first 2 games, and has a history of this when he was in Dallas against Crosby. While I don't think his intent was to seriously injure Crosby the effect is the same.
While this type of play doesn't always result in injury, it could. If the NHL wants to be taken seriously it has to take a stand. A stronger one than their anti-fight stance. At least with a fight the antagonists face each other and take their chances. This is too beautiful a sport to be trashed. Mario was right, it is a "garage league".
Rant off.

Posts: 100 | Location: Myrtle Beach SC | Registered: August 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coachB:
but would this have occurred if the Pens could dress someone like a Steve McIntyre or Bob Probert

If Niskanen had done this to Yzerman back in the day, whether intentional or not, he would have had to answer to Probie's fist. It would not have ended well for him. Players just don't fear that aspect of the game anymore and that creates this environment where even if the one isolated incident wasn't intentional, the "new" climate of the NHL is what allows it to build to the point it has.

My biggest beef has been the lack of charging penalties (although there was one called the other night). I agree with you that Ovie is famous for those, whether of the jumping variety or the skating clear across the ice to hit you variety.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Crosby and Sheary both diagnosed with a concussion out for game 4.

Penguins' Sidney Crosby out of Game 4 with concussion http://es.pn/2pCfVHl

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
That certainly changes things, damn it.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The Blues need a win tonight... as bad as the Caps did last night.

LET'S.GO.BLUES!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
The Blues need a win tonight... as bad as the Caps did last night.

LET'S.GO.BLUES!

Not quite as bad as the Caps did, a win give you back home ice advantage. I'm rooting for you guys.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm rooting for you guys.

I'm rooting for the Caps too. We have family in NoVa.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah turnover man Shattenkirk finally paid off with that one goal. He's been a bum for us besides that. Horrible +/- when he's on ice.

We got hosed on that deal.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shattenkirk finally paid off with that one goal. He's been a bum for us besides that. Horrible +/- when he's on ice.

Maybe... but you also got Oshie from the Blues. Wink
I like Shattenkirk... but ya, he hasn't done great since he's been there.

-rduckwor

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Shattenkirk finally paid off with that one goal. He's been a bum for us besides that. Horrible +/- when he's on ice.

Maybe... but you also got Oshie from the Blues. Wink
I like Shattenkirk... but ya, he hasn't done great since he's been there.

He's panning out to be every bit as good as the Hanzal trade the Wild made. Razz

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The Blues played pretty well... but only managed to score one goal. Very physical game. The Blues nearly scored a late goal to send it to overtime but... Pekka Rinne! Great goaltending.
Backs against the wall now.

-rduckwor

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
3-1 Pens.

Proven tonight that the Caps can be beat without Sid.

I like it.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
3-1 Pens.

I like it.

So if the Pens win does this mean Crosby not all the sport writer want you to believe. Big Grin

BTW I'm not sure that last call was a penalty. I'd like to see it in slow-mo a few times.

Between the blocked shots(by the Pens) and Fleury standing on his head with some of the saves we are not getting it done. Add in a few to many odd man rushes all series, those are killing use.

Need better D and make Fleury pay for his aggressive play.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
The Oiler's fan sitting behind the Ducks' bench is...well let's just say I wish the camera would stay on the Ducks' bench more. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Great post CoachB. It was not a "hockey play". So glad the Pens won tonight. That attempted knee on Kunitz tonight was also a dirty play.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
3-1 Pens.

I like it.

Great game. Blocked shots stats were huge for the Pens. Fleury played great. Pens got a couple assists from the refs. But that's this game. Love it! Big Grin

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Jake Guentzel joins a pretty good club as a rookie with 8 goals in his first 9 playoff games - Maurice Richard, Wayne Gretzky, & Mario Lemieux. Also Malkin won 13 of 17 face-offs - I can't remember when he's done that well.

I don't think it was a high stick, I think it hit Bonino in the shoulder. Happens all the time. Foligno drew one in the last series. Was it a make-up call for the missed double minor when Guentzel took a high stick? I guess it could be called a "hockey play". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Right now Fleury is the hot goaltender. Best to run with it.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
OOOOOOOOOOOOOH BABY!!

Back to back 4-1 wins!! Back to the great white north for the best two out of three!!

LET'S GO RANGERS!!

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big Don Cherry fan but this is funny and true.

Watch the video.

faking an injury

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
3-1 Pens.

I like it.

So if the Pens win does this mean Crosby not all the sport writer want you to believe. Big Grin

BTW I'm not sure that last call was a penalty. I'd like to see it in slow-mo a few times.

Between the blocked shots(by the Pens) and Fleury standing on his head with some of the saves we are not getting it done. Add in a few to many odd man rushes all series, those are killing use.

Need better D and make Fleury pay for his aggressive play.

1) Not a penalty
2) The lucky blocks and Fleury's play was above average
3) Score off of Dmitri? BS great puck luck, but no one near the pass, so if not for silly luck it would have been our puck.

We out played them by far. Look at shots and any other stat. We should have won that game, bad calls aside.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis