SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I killed my dog today
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I killed my dog today Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Nothing says that there is a requirement to own a pet. However, if someone does own a pet it’s my opinion that you must give it love and kindness. For nearly thirteen years you have shown your dog compassion by giving him food,warmth,comfort,etc. Your friend wasn’t living anymore, merely existing, your sending him on the way across the rainbow bridge was the final compassionate act you were able to bestow upon your furry companion.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
I was a vet tech for a spell, and one of the reasons I didn't follow through with vet school was having to euthanize dogs. I hated it. But I can honesty tell you dogs know when their time is up. You can see it in their eyes.

One of my biggest complaints about my job, although I couldn't voice my opinion, was owners who refused to put down a pet that was terminal. A dog's number one job is to make his master happy, so when they are unable to do that anymore, they are not happy. It's selfish on the owner's part to increase the lifespan of a pet in pain.

It sucks, but you did the right thing. Your dog crossed the rainbow bridge.

Proverbs 12:10 A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.

The hardest part of love, is the loving part.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/6000079914/p/1

I posted this a while back due to the several losses of pets around that time, hoping it would help some. There is a lot of good advice and stories.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I've had to put down beloved dogs twice. It doesn't get any easier.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Yeah it sucks.
You did right to end the suffering. We've all been there.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the right thing sucks, but it is still the right thing for the right reasons.

Thinking of you...

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry that your dear friend became so ill. You did the right thing by your dog. I'll say a prayer.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
He will greet you in Valhalla.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hardest thing I ever had to do, have had to do it 4 times. Prayers sent.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
As I sit here, I have two pups with me, each less than 18 months old. They were preceded by 2 others, one died abruptly (less than 2 hours from normal to dead - probably heart attack) at 9 years old, and another we had to put down at 15. The 15yo had a great run, especially for a lab, but got tired, hips not working, and we wer having to use a lift to help him up stairs for about 3 months at the end. At first, he didn’t seem to mind, so we didn’t either, but we knew his age was catching up. He began losing control of his bowels and bladder, and was clearly upset at this, though we never yelled or punished him for it. He seemed to become withdrawn, and over a week was just not happy. At times when he moved, he seemed to be in pain, and his eyes told me he was tired and ready. It was horrible to have to do, but I took him to the vet, and was with him for his trip over the bridge. I cried, and am tearful now, for I miss them both, but it was the right thing to do, and I know I will do it again, though hopefully not for many years to come. Dogs are a blessing to us, but also a responsibility, and letting them suffer, after they unconditionally devote themselves to us, is a sin in my eyes. You did the right thing, and I pray you know it.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CNYTX11
posted Hide Post
Been there many times for many pets.
It's the final giving of peace, dignity, and love.

S&W M-66-2 (3")/ S&W M-65LS (3")/ S&W M-10 (2")/Colt Combat Commander Series 70

Posts: 651 | Location: Johnson County, KS | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
It's a terrible day that awaits every dog lover.
Two things:
If you adopt older pound hounds, which offers great rewards when you do it, you'll face that day more often than you'd like.
Second, don't let your love prevent you from doing the right thing. Two dogs ago my Connie was acting "not well" for months, but still eating and getting around. When the day came and I lifted her to take her to the vet's, she weighed about half of what I expected. She had been eating less and less and because of her fur I never noticed. With another previous dog, I spent way too much money on veterinary care on a hopeless case. Dogs know when their time has come -- don't extend it to please yourself while the dog suffers.

Posts: 1400 | Location: Butte, Mont. | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post