SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I killed my dog today
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I killed my dog today Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
You didn't kill him, you stopped him from suffering. Sorry for what you're going through.

Exactly! You responded with love and kindness!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
It's one the hardest things to go through for me but you did the right thing. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the kind words of encouragement and sympathy. Yes, logically I know I did the humane thing, but emotionally there is guilt. But I also know that the pain is because of my loss, not his.

I hope that those of you who will face this decision in the future can draw comfort from the words of those who offer so much understanding and support here. I know that the pain will fade with time but the wonderful memories together never will. And that is a blessing.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6730 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As painful as it was and is, you did the right thing. It's never easy to lose a good friend.

Posts: 1616 | Location: Simpsonville SC | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
A hard decision, but you made the right one. Sad for your loss, but we all have this coming our way.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
You had a choice, and you chose what was best for your dog-- no matter the pain to you.

That is not "killing."

That is love.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was the greatest act of love I've ever done.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
You did what you had to do, for your dog.

It is so hard to do. Your friend's suffering is over, but you will miss him.

It has been just over a year since I held my sweet Pippi, rescue Corgi girl, in my lap while the vet euthanized her, and not a day goes by that I don't think of her and miss her.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I am so very sorry for your loss.

Many of us have been there and it is always very difficult time. However, it is a responsibility we accept, when we accept a pet in to our lives.

Again, I am so sorry. I wish there were words that would help ease the pain, sadly there is not.

Frown

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
He runs through Valhalla now!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry. There are a few dogs that I’ve had euthanized that I look back on and cry, to this day.
But watching them suffer is hard, and I think you did the kindest thing. It’s really no fun playing God with our dearest friends, esp when you don’t get the power or option to make them better, only to ease the pain.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry you had to do this for your friend. Frown

It's not always easy to do the right thing, but rest assured that you did.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I know what you are going through, I still say it is the worst thing I have ever experienced to date. I thought I was prepared for it when I gave the go ahead.....nope I wasn’t, I sobbed like a baby. We can all tell you you did the right thing, which you did, but it won’t ease the hurt in your heart. Time will only round off the edge a bit. It was so bad for me I vowed not to have another dog......ummmm that lasted 6 months. New pup helps, mine is laying next to me, as I pet her I pray that I don’t have to make that choice again.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I cant seem to find the right words. Our Vet sent us a card with this:

Farewell Master yet not farewell
Where I go ye too shall dwell
I am gone before your face,
A moment's time, a little space
When ye come where I have stepped,
Ye will wonder why ye wept.

Posts: 503 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss. I have been in your position a number of times over the years. The latest being over the last 8 weeks. My terrier mix had a heart murmer and stopped eating. the vet found his kidneys were shutting down. Held him while he went. Six weeks later my lab who had quit eating at the same time blew up like a balloon was diagnosed with cancer. I held her while she went. They will tell you when it's time. Both of mine had the look in their eyes shortly after they quit eating. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. The pain dulls but sadly never completely goes away. Such is the nature of having Furbabies.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Sorry for you going through it. But it is the right thing to do, when it it is time to do it - I’ve watched others wait too long to make the decision.

Been in your shoes, down on the floor crying and holding the paw of your buddy. Lost my Rhodesian to cancer that way.

Being the good owner that does the right thing is part of the job. Sometimes you don’t have to deliver, but it is a hard responsibility.

Remember him fondly - your dogs become one of the measures of periods of time in your life.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
as hard as it was you ended pain and suffering

that makes you a good person

Bandit and I send our condolences

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53180 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
You didn't do wrong, believe me.

I'm tearing up as I compose this. I lost the dog that before I got her I said "never again, I can't take the pain" after losing three in three years. Of them the oldest was fifteen and a half, youngest was seven.

One of my daughters and my wife decided that I needed another. Scarlett was a rescue, saved from being put down by some quick work at Michigan Animal Adoption Network. She had some health problems but we got through them. She was estimated to be between three and four when we got her.

She was with us twelve and a half years, I too had to make that decision in April 2016, still miss her today.

Just keep your baby in your heart.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
BTDT. It still hurts.

We had to put both of our girls down within 3 months of each other. After the first one I thought the worst was over and I could handle it. Putting the second one done showed me how wrong I was

Just because doing the right thing hurts does not make it any less right.

I'm sorry for your loss.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is the first time I’ve had to choose to put one down. It’s a miserable feeling despite what the vet says.
It IS a miserable feeling. So many of us have been there.

As lots of people have written already in this thread: You have done the right thing. You took care of him his whole life, and you were brave enough to end his suffering when that’s what was needed.

I’m sorry for your loss. I feel your pain. Think about the love you and your furry buddy shared. That’s what counts... what endures.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post