SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I killed my dog today
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I killed my dog today Login/Join 
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
We've put one dog down and had another die of liver failure at our home. The natural death was much less humane than having the other one put down. If our vet had been able to assess Sadie's illness properly, we would have saved her the suffering.

Regardless of my feelings on the subject, I can understand your pain and am extremely sorry for your loss. If I could have given Sadie a few years off the end of my life to extend hers, I'd have done it in a heartbeat.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been through that too many times. The last time the dog was in my lap and it is a good thing I was sitting on the floor. It is the worst day in a dog owners life, but YOU DID THE RIGHT THING. The next day wasn't easy either, taking her for burial at the camp with the others who passed before her. YOU DID THE RIGHT THING. End of life for a dog has to be made easier by the owner. I know what you have been through. Dogs aren't our whole life, but they make our lives better. Hang in there!

Posts: 267 | Registered: January 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Never easy. have had to put five down over the years. Hang in there Bud!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry to hear. I’ve had to let dogs go way to many times and will have to do it again several more times as I plan to have dogs until I can’t care for them any longer. It always sucks and I always wondered if it was too soon. However, I take heart knowing that a day early is better than 5 extra minutes of suffering.

I also believe it’s the most important thing an owner can do for their pet.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I hope that my wife and I have the courage to help our two Scotties across the Rainbow Bridge when it's time. It'll be really tough, and my heart goes out to you for what you're going through. But you did the right thing.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Condolences. I've had to do that too many times. I know how heartbreaking it can be.

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for your loss.

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss, you made the correct decision for your 4-legged friend. We have had to do it several times, it's never easy.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Sorry for your loss, you made the correct decision for your 4-legged friend. We have had to do it several times, it's never easy.

+1. It is horrible to lose them, but there comes a time when it is a kindness to let them go. It is never easy, but it is the right thing. You didn’t kill your dog, you freed him from the suffering.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: slosig,

Posts: 6918 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
You didn't 'kill' your dog. The disease did. You simply showed compassion and eased what would have been a painful, miserable, existence right up until he passed away on his own.

Although it likely won't help you, consider this alternative. You had 13 wonderful years with your friend. That's a terrific lifetime for most dogs. I had to have a 'six' year old dog put down a little over a year ago, that was the picture of health 60 days before she came down with K9 auto-immmune disease that destroyed her. Six is way too soon, and her passing still haunts me. Be thankful for your 13 years, and as others have already noted, he'll be waiting for your just the other side of the bridge when its your time. I have four good friends I can't wait to see again when its my turn to throw off this mortal coil.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I was a vet tech for a spell, and one of the reasons I didn't follow through with vet school was having to euthanize dogs. I hated it. But I can honesty tell you dogs know when their time is up. You can see it in their eyes.

One of my biggest complaints about my job, although I couldn't voice my opinion, was owners who refused to put down a pet that was terminal. A dog's number one job is to make his master happy, so when they are unable to do that anymore, they are not happy. It's selfish on the owner's part to increase the lifespan of a pet in pain.

It sucks, but you did the right thing. Your dog crossed the rainbow bridge.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear. We are hoping to not have to do that to our aging golden retriever who will hopefully make it to her 13th birthday on Valentine's Day.

Also, I was in VMA-223 back in '83 to '86 as an ordnanceman for A-4M Skyhawks. I left to VMA-311 for a WESTPAC in '86 to '87. My buddies transitioned to AV-8Bs, but I got out before that.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. You did the right thing. Years ago I had to do the same, I was at work when my exwife called and said they were at the hospital. I drove over as fast as I could and they had to induce a coma because of his seizures. I did not let them wake up him so I could say goodbye. I didn’t want him to suffer anymore.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Sorry you are feeling this way. You did the right thing. I have had similar feelings, beating myself up on that long drive home after making that decision. It took a while to recognize all those years of love are the memories I needed to focus on, not the day I had to make that inevitable choice.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You did the right thing. A very hard a painful thing, but the right and compassionate thing.

Take care and know your companion sis in a better place.

Posts: 4054 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
You didn't 'kill' your dog. The disease did. You simply showed compassion and eased what would have been a painful, miserable, existence right up until he passed away on his own.

Being unskilled on many matters, especially delicate ones, I'm just going to requote you.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
Like everyone is saying it's the right thing to do.
It's still just so damn hard.
I waited too long on my Aussie mix neena a couple years ago.
I'm still kicking myself for making her suffer.
Hang in there and just try to think of all the good your pup did for you.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I feel for you. I have done it a few times.

I made my wife take care of the last dog. I have had enough for a few years.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss.

I know exactly how that hurts. Had to do that for one of my dogs some years ago.

Still hurts when I think about the little guy.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
I know exactly what you're going through. We had to do the same thing last year. In the span of 2 weeks Toby went from a happy, healthy, 90lb lab to unable to stand on his own. We still miss him today, but as time has gone on, we know we made the right decision for him.

Sorry for your loss, and soon the good memories will outweigh the pain of losing your friend.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post