SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I killed my dog today
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I killed my dog today Login/Join 
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted
Almost 13 years old. A great dog and companion. He was diagnosed with cancer a month ago. Less than 25% kidney function. Swollen muzzle. Couldn’t breathe through his nose. The vet said his cancer would progress rapidly and he had 1-2 months tops. They could provide pain meds & antibiotics to make him comfortable. I elected to have him put down. The vet said it was the right decision, yet I feel like shit.

I’ve ALWAYS had dogs since I was 5. They’ve all always died naturally. This is the first time I’ve had to choose to put one down. It’s a miserable feeling despite what the vet says.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6721 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
You didn't kill him, you stopped him from suffering. Sorry for what you're going through.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
We had to put down our dog last year. It was terrible. I’ll never forget the feeling of her being led away and the slight look of confusion on her face. It was absolutely the right decision but at the same time I’ll never forgive myself.

My sincere condolences to you, friend.

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
So many of us have been where you are currently.

I have found only 2 ways to do it:
Listen to your heart or wait for that certain look they give you.

Either way you did the right thing.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
You did the right thing. He was suffering and you helped him by making the hard decision. I promise you that if he could thank you for it, he would.

I know our words wont ease your pain but I'll say it again, YOU DID THE RIGHT THING.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4519 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
You did the right thing. He will be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Posts: 5692 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear about your loss. I have personally held on to a dog friend on two different occasions while the vet administered the lethal injection. I also knew it was the right thing to do as both were suffering and unable to improve their situation for themselves. It is a fact of life that many things we must do that are the right things to do are hard to do. I have personally seen owners who would not do what you did and let their pet suffer and that is sad. Thankfully you have the stength my friend to do what is humane for your friend and I support you for that.

Posts: 66 | Location: Kansas | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
It is the utmost respect to give a friend this last dignity.

Anybody can give them love. It costs nothing to give a pat on the head or a scratch on the back. It costs much more to help them over the bridge, because it's a gift you can't give without losing a part of yourself.

You're a good dog owner, don't let anybody tell you different.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
You did the right thing, I would not do it when I had to, my wife had to yell at me to do it.

I laid on the floor with him as they put him down, so we could see each other (all for me) as he was gone.

Did I know it was right, did I still regret it yes.

But making him happy was the #1 thing.

So yes what you did was one of the most painful things you have ever done, but you did what was needed.

And you know this.

I am sorry for you loss, but it was what should be done.

Archerman

Posts: 2483 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What you're feeling is natural -- we've all felt the remorse, regrets and, unnecessarily, guilt for this final act of kindness to those who loved us more than anything.

We've all been through it, but it's different for each of us, and with each of our pets -- friends -- loved ones...

As your pain eases to a dull ache, let go of the guilt, and realize how much agony you saved him from. I'll bet he already knows, and would tell you so, if he could.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9142 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Don't be so hard on yourself. Many of us have faced a similar situation.
It is certainly not an easy decision, but it sounds like this was the best decision for your friend. We made the decision to put down one of ours about 8 years ago, as she was diagnosed with a bad type of cancer. She was 11 when this occurred. I know we kept her from suffering more than she already had.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
You did the right thing. I lost both of my Labradors within 3 days some time back. The first one to go was 14 years old. Couldn't walk and would poo anywhere without even realizing it. Once he was gone, within a day my other one got sick as hell and couldn't breath. He was 11 years old. 3K spent on him that weekend, but no saving him. Miss my boys, buy I enjoyed my time with them. Couldn't bring myself to make them suffer for my benefit.

I am very sorry for your loss, I know what it feels like. But know for sure you should feel no guilt.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I HATE the title of your post. You did not kill him. You prevented his suffering. He went over the bridge with those he loved at his side.

Your title sucks.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Do you believe your dog would have done anything for you?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
The title of you post is just your pain and loss. Devil Dog you did you duty to your dog with honor and loyalty just as he did with you. Prayers on the way,

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
You didn't kill your dog, you saved it from the pain. I've been in your shoes, it hurts like hell. You will never be over it, because you loved your buddy. He'll be with you for the rest of your time in your heart and in your memories. Treasure those. Let's all pray they are on the other side waiting for us.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10907 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our pets are dependent on us to make the call for them because they can’t do it for themselves. You did the compassionate thing.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ihad to do the same for my Vizsla. It's been 18
months ago and I'm still grieving. I know how
you're feeling and doing the right thing ever
though it was the right thing___go ahead and cry.
I stil do where ever i am where we spent a lot of time to gether and she's now with me.

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
So sorry mo. Old fuzzy said it well.

It feels very, very bad.

Most of us here know all to well. We need to support each other. Even though these threads rekindle some of the pain of our own experiences.

I wish you well brother.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
So sorry. Always very sad. My prayers are with you and your pup.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post