SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lois Lerner does not want to testify publicly because of death threats
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lois Lerner does not want to testify publicly because of death threats Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
The Tea Party continues to pursue lawsuits against the IRS regarding IRS bias against conservative groups.

Lois Lerner is scheduled to testify soon in response to one of the lawsuits. Her attorneys are arguing her testimony should not be made public.

http://www.cincinnati.com/stor...arty-case/101591538/

Details about tea party bias claims against the IRS could remain secret because current and former agency officials say their lives are in danger if they publicly testify about the case.

Lois Lerner and Holly Paz both have argued in recent court filings that the threat to their lives outweighs the public's right to hear their testimony about how IRS employees in Cincinnati and Washington D.C. handled applications for tax-exempt status from tea party groups.

They recently filed evidence to support their claim under seal in U.S. District Court in Cincinnati. Though that evidence has not been made public, court records indicate it relates to death threats and other harassment the women say they endured after their names were connected to the bias claims against the IRS several years ago.

"This documentation, as the court will see, makes very personal references and contains graphic, profane and disturbing language that would lead to unnecessary intrusion and embarrassment if made public," their attorneys argued in a recent court brief. "Public dissemination of their deposition testimony would put their lives in serious jeopardy."

Attorneys for the tea party groups suing the IRS say the argument against full disclosure doesn't hold up. They asked the court Wednesday to make the IRS officials' testimony public and to also open a May 19 hearing to the public.

Their arguments, like most documents in the case, are not publicly available because U.S. District Judge Michael Barrett ordered them filed under seal. The hearing on May 19 will address those issues, but it, too, is closed to the public.

Edward Greim, an attorney for the tea party groups, said he's not permitted to discuss the brief he filed under seal, but said the allegations against the IRS are serious and the public has a right to know what happened. The tea party groups expect Lerner and Paz to shed light on the issue when they testify in sworn depositions.

Lerner, the agency's former Exempt Organization Director, resigned over the scandal. Paz, who worked under her, was reassigned.

Paz has previously said the Cincinnati office, which is home to the IRS' nonprofit division, was overwhelmed by applications from conservative groups when the tea party movement began in 2009 and employees struggled with how to process so many applications.

In their written argument to Judge Barrett, attorneys for Lerner and Paz said the threats against the women should take precedent over public disclosure, which they argued is not necessary.

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cannot imagine why anyone would be the least bit upset with her behavior or the agency. Puzzle to me.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
She needs to pay dearly for weaponizing the IRS against conservatives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I don't want to minimize the impact of getting death threats, having gotten a couple myself, but these days, almost anyone who ends up in the public eye gets at least a few.

You just never know how take them.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine that anyone from the Right would have any reason to issue death threats against these two. I'd think the Right would be more interested in having them tell their story. So that leaves who?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
If she is getting threats she needs to buy herself a gun and learn to use it. And then when she is tried and convicted for weaponizing the IRS and becomes a felon she can gift it to a good home.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nothing but horse shit. Man up, Lois.

Posts: 107575 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
You thought you were protected, Ms. Lerner?

How has this changed?

Oh, your personal role has become known.

I see.

How has this materially changed any fact related to your actions, which occurred in the past?

Your name is attached?

I see.

So, once it became known that you personally ordered the IRS to target certain groups, you became afraid that those affected might decide you used your position to further the political aims of those you support?

Well, Ms. Lerner, did you not plant the question that exposed your actions?

You did plant the question that exposed your actions? Really?

Then too motherfucking bad. Your testimony shall occur in open court. Refuse, and be jailed for contempt. And remember, the people in jail may not agree with what you did.

So you fear for your life now?

Too motherfucking bad. You should have thought of that long ago.

I hope someone caps that skanky bitch.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Ok Sigforum attorneys. What stops Lerner from simply showing up for her depo and claiming the fifth again?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Ok Sigforum attorneys. What stops Lerner from simply showing up for her depo and claiming the fifth again?

Not a thing I know of.

This isn't about whether they will testify or claim 5th Amendment, but whether it will be public, or under court seal.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
This isn't about whether they will testify or claim 5th Amendment, but whether it will be public, or under court seal.
And that was kinda my point. If she strolls in and takes the fifth again, whether in open court or behind closed doors, then nothing has really changed, and she hasn't said anything to rile anyone any more than they've been in the past. That said, I hope the judge puts her butt in a chair in front of people and cameras and makes her respond, one way or the other.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
she can testify and pay the price, or she can hide and pay the price

one way or other that bitch will pay dearly for what she did

she's called 'Slow Lerner' for a reason, and she's not gotten any smarter

death threats? big fucking deal if that's the best she gets

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
After further review, the materials being argued about are deposition transcripts, testimony under oath as part of discovery before trial. That is what they object to being released to the public. She apparently has not refused to testify.

quote:
"Public dissemination of their deposition testimony would put their lives in serious jeopardy."

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
So she is claiming that the public, against whom she waged political jihad by using her govermental position of power to subjugate purely political enemies, has no right to see her testimony as it may endanger her life??

Should have thought of that before you decided to do the bidding of the left sweetie. Unless what you have to say is classified it ALL needs to be public record.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Was thinking the same thing

Did she think no one would find out? Did she think Obama would be around to protect her forever?

The wheel turns slowly, but it does turn and I hope it crushes her.

quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
So she is claiming that the public, against whom she waged political jihad by using her govermental position of power to subjugate purely political enemies, has no right to see her testimony as it may endanger her life??

Should have thought of that before you decided to do the bidding of the left sweetie. Unless what you have to say is classified it ALL needs to be public record.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I can believe it, the Clintons will do anything. Eek

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

I am sure the liberals of Berkeley would protect her/provide for her safety. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Understand the situation, fail to see the problem. Have the FBI put her in the Witness Protection Program. New name, history, relocated to some podunk town in a deep red state. There she can be an unknown. That would suit her.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
You thought you were protected, Ms. Lerner?

How has this changed?

Oh, your personal role has become known.

I see.

How has this materially changed any fact related to your actions, which occurred in the past?

Your name is attached?

I see.

So, once it became known that you personally ordered the IRS to target certain groups, you became afraid that those affected might decide you used your position to further the political aims of those you support?

Well, Ms. Lerner, did you not plant the question that exposed your actions?

You did plant the question that exposed your actions? Really?

Then too motherfucking bad. Your testimony shall occur in open court. Refuse, and be jailed for contempt. And remember, the people in jail may not agree with what you did.

So you fear for your life now?

Too motherfucking bad. You should have thought of that long ago.

I hope someone caps that skanky bitch.
I understand your ire towards Lerner and Company and, you are among my most read Members here 2340 but, you might edit out the MFrs sir because it is not fitting for today. Thank you friend.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I'm confused. ? the left would kill their own if they tattle. Is that what I hear here.

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post