New
Find
Notify
Tools

Android Help Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
So, I had to replace my phone. I had a Samsung S7 Active with 32 gigs of memory. I had about 27 gigs of stuff on the phone (pictures and music, mostly), but only 4.5 gigs of apps.

I replaced it with a Samsung J7, which is about the same size, but was significantly cheaper and only has 16 gigs of "internal" memory, and picked up a Samsung 128 gig Evo Select micro sd card to supplement the memory. Best buy salesman told me that would work just fine.

Now I go to the Smart Switch App to move my stuff over, and the J7 won't recognize the SD card as "internal" storage, it only recognizes it as "portable" storage. Thus, Smart Switch tells me I don't have enough memory to move things over the easy and seamless way.

Now, I know that I could put the SD card in my old phone, put the music and pictures and documents on it, and move them physically, but I'm stubborn, and would like this thing to work seamlessly, so I'm asking if there is a way to have the phone recognize the card as internal memory and work seamlessly.

Now, from Google, I am seeing hints that there is a option under developer tools in Android that allows this, but I wanted to ask the collective here if this is (a) wise; and (b) doable by someone who is a reasonable user of technology, but can't code.

Any thoughts on this, and thanks for your help.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://forums.tomsguide.com/t...ion-is-6-0-1.118851/

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Trigger, thanks for the link. Samsung has eliminated the "Format as Internal" setting. It should still be in the Android system, but you can't access it from Samsung's menu settings any more. I am looking for the work around to get there, that is doable by someone who isn't a developer.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Can't help you on the SD stuff, but if it doesn't work just copy the folders onto your computer then copy onto your phone. It will take you less time than you have already spent tryin to figure it out.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Trigger, thanks for the link. Samsung has eliminated the "Format as Internal" setting. It should still be in the Android system, but you can't access it from Samsung's menu settings any more. I am looking for the work around to get there, that is doable by someone who isn't a developer.

You can try unlocking the developer options and see if it appears.

Tap on Settings icon.

Scroll down to locate “About Phone“, and tap on it.

Under this menu, scroll down, and tap on “Software information“

Locate and tap 7 times on “Build Number” — it will activate the Developer Options.

Now, you can access the Developer Options through Settings->Developer Options

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks Skins. I just did that at your suggestion, and I have an option for Force Allow Apps on External that may be the solution. I'm going to research that a bit before I try it.

There isn't any "memory configuration" or such tab in developer options.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I just re-read your post. I didn't realize you were doing apps, I was thinking data. I recommend against transferring apps or wasting the time to do it.

As long as you have WiFi access just redownload them, you can do it in just a few minutes.

Go to Play Store.

Tap three bars in upper left.

Select My Apps and Games.

Select My Library.

Download only the apps you still use. When I transfer stuff to new phones there are always old ones I no longer use or that were downloaded for a single use. That way you can remove bloat you don't need. Also it gives you a chance to re-review app permissions and skip downloading ones that ask too much.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Good idea, thanks.