SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    anyone get a job through Linkedin?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone get a job through Linkedin? Login/Join 
posted
Anyone ever find a job through LinkedIn? Either through networking, utilizing their job board or have a recruiter contact you based on your profile? I know there are thousands of professional with LinkedIn accounts and it's a great resource for sharing information but I'm curious how many have actually found employment using the site? Thanks

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not directly. I was able to make contact with a co-worker from 20yrs ago. We lost contact over the years. When I was looking for a new job, I used linked in to get in touch with him. He was able to get my resume to the right people.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I'll get a recruiter email at least once, if not twice a week from LinkedIn. However, I'm not currently looking so I just ignore them. I am in a bit of a niche market with my skill set though. I will add that I usually don't accept requests from recruiters on LinkedIn. It's not my job to make their job easier.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I am 71 and retired since 2010. I still get recruited for consulting contracts and jobs through LinkedIn. I only stay on to keep in contact with younger co-workers and relatives still in the workforce.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
It's the best way to get a job for me in sales. I've had more luck with it than job boards.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'm curious to see what other answers come up.

I updated my LinkedIn and opened myself account to be contacted by recruiters.

At the very least, I'm following a few mentors now who have posted some great articles and advice on transitioning from the military to the civilian sector. Things that I wish I would've known 1.5 years ago.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use it to point my online job applications to my resume. It seems every time I update it I get new job inquiries.

I got my current job via Craigslist and was surprised by the number of local companies who advertise job openings on it.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Yes, day rate contract job. I only use the free part of it.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
not me directly, but my daughter has gotten two jobs through head hunters using her LinkedIn information. She get's offers monthly it seems.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I did.

I was happily employed with a company for 7 years when a recruiter sent me a message via LinkedIn about a new opportunity. Same industry / similar product (technology) with a smaller company.

One thing led to another and about a month later I accepted the new role (along with a $35k salary increase).

Never would have happened without LinkedIn.

I still get messages semi-regularly from recruiters on there.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I am retired and will not be going back to work. I have no desire to join LinkedIn. I keep getting invites to join LinkedIn from people I don't know. Are there any scams running through that network?

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
I am retired and will not be going back to work. I have no desire to join LinkedIn. I keep getting invites to join LinkedIn from people I don't know. Are there any scams running through that network?

I see I'm not alone.....

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16217 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine wasn't looking but got an offer through Linkedin years ago. The offer involved moving but was very substantial and he ended up taking it. Turned out to be the best thing he did.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:

I occasionally get LinkedIn requests from people I don't know to a email not associated with my LinkedIn account. I delete these friend requests because I think they may be phishing scams and if they're real I will see the request when I logon to my account.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No - but my profile got 1,429 views last week. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not yet, but am working on it.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Linkedin. Those idiots breached my e-mail address and the spam I've gotten since the breach is unreal.

I hate those jerks.

As for their site, ask any female who is job seeking on there how many dating requests they get through the site. Also unreal. do people have no class?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
For my current job, I saw the posting on Linkedin. That's not to say I wouldn't have found it elsewhere on the web. I simply applied for the position. There was no networking needed.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Yes. Make sure your profile is set so recruiters see that you’re looking.

I don’t particularly like working with recruiters, but I have in the past. It doesn’t help with filling out applications quickly because you can populate an applications fields directly from your LinkedIn profile.

Also, I suggest signing up for the 1 month premium trial, once you get your profile and resume in order. With that trial, you get some perks that are sorta cool, like seeing whos viewing/creeping on your profile.

There’s no way I’m hell its worth the $60-$80 they charge for it though. Make sure you cancel before the month is up, or you’ll get charged.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
I did receive a job offer that I ended up declining. The job interview and offer was from a head hunter on linked-in that I did not know before then.

I think for the most part ot is for connecting back with people more than job opportunities

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post