SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any recommendations? US tropical vacation (NO MEXICO)
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Any recommendations? US tropical vacation (NO MEXICO) Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by getupatree:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Why not San Diego? English spoken, mostly, take US dollars, no VISAs required, decent beaches, no CHL though, drive on the right, etc.

I'm definitely interested in that. She's never been to Cali. Has to be a good beach. I've got Delta Skymiles out the wazoo so that may help.

There are about 70 miles of beach in San Diego.

If you can afford to spend the money, a week at Hotel Del Coronado will put morale into hyperdrive. Even if you don't stay at the Hotel, the beach is superb.

There are several threads about things to see and do, places to eat, museums, etc. in Sandy Eggo.

Other beaches I liked and spent much time at were La Jolla Cove, La Jolla Shores, Torrey Pines, Del Mar, Swami's, Moonlight, S. Carlsbad and Oceanside and just about anywhere in between. Black's Beach, south from Torrey Pines Beach, is clothing optional, or was. Most of these are surfing beaches. There are surfing areas and swimming areas at each, by local agreement. surfers stay one side of a designated marker, swimmers to the other.

One caution. The ocean is very appealing, but can be dangerous if you aren't used to it. Be cautious. Stay in areas with life guards. Every summer, folks from the interior came out to enjoy sun and fun at the beach and came to grief, or nearly so.

Have fun!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
We took a cruise to Alaska in July. Seattle to Seattle, Glacier Bay, Haines etc. Nice weather

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
JALLEN got me thinking about La Jolla. Had a little get away years ago with my then girlfriend in La Jolla. We stayed at the La Valencia Hotel. It is a beautiful old Spanish revival hotel very close to La Jolla Cove and great restaurants.

It has been a good many years, but I am sure it is still as top notch now as it was then. It is old, so some of the rooms can be very small. Would definitely suggest reading the room info for each style of rooms offered. That way you know exactly what you are getting. I had to move up a notch when I saw our first room. Was well worth it.

We had fun and have some great memories there. Would be a great place even for just a couple of nights, if you wanted something different.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1111 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Kamalame Cay. I've mentioned this place before, here on SIGforum.

Absolutely, with no competition, the nicest vacation place I have ever been.

Of course, my client was paying. Smile
Wow, that looks amazing! Also, like a good thing somebody else was picking up the tab..ouch.
Quite a bit more affordable than Kamalame Cay, the Stella Maris resort on the northern end of Long Island, also in The Bahamas. I have been a few times, sometimes with the client paying, other times taking my wife and a step-son. Great beach-time, good snorkeling, scuba if you want it, well-run dining room, etc. The place is run by a couple of German expatriates, who do a great job. If you're looking to get away from the hustle and bustle, you can't go wrong here.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig226fan:
JALLEN got me thinking about La Jolla. Had a little get away years ago with my then girlfriend in La Jolla. We stayed at the La Valencia Hotel. It is a beautiful old Spanish revival hotel very close to La Jolla Cove and great restaurants.

It has been a good many years, but I am sure it is still as top notch now as it was then. It is old, so some of the rooms can be very small. Would definitely suggest reading the room info for each style of rooms offered. That way you know exactly what you are getting. I had to move up a notch when I saw our first room. Was well worth it.

We had fun and have some great memories there. Would be a great place even for just a couple of nights, if you wanted something different.

It's a beautiful charming old hotel right there in downtown La Jolla on Prospect, over looking the ocean, easy walk to the Cove and other attractions. I had an office a block or so away for many years. The restaurant is quite good, but a bit expensive. Very popular.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by sig226fan:
JALLEN got me thinking about La Jolla. Had a little get away years ago with my then girlfriend in La Jolla. We stayed at the La Valencia Hotel. ...

It's a beautiful charming old hotel right there in downtown La Jolla on Prospect, over looking the ocean, easy walk to the Cove and other attractions. I had an office a block or so away for many years. The restaurant is quite good, but a bit expensive. Very popular.

That must have been horrible to endure. Big Grin Very jealous.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1111 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Report This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Not tropical, but Vancouver B.C. is a great city for a vacation. If you like hiking, sailing, eating great food or just about any outdoor activity it's a top notch destination. It's also the cleanest city I've ever been in. The weather should be very pleasant in July as well.

Just something to think about.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife and I are wanting to go in July without the kids (a much needed 2nd honeymoon). She has been "lobbying" for Cancun for some time but this guy refuses to go anywhere in Mexico.

Perhaps Virgin Islands, or? We'd enjoy some all-inclusive deal. But we don't drink and I know that a big part of the cost of all-inclusive covers drinks.

Would love some recommendations as I only know good fishing spots :-)

If price is no issue go here Staniel Cay in the Bahamas, their packages include a cottage (they're nice), a boat and meals. The water here is what magazines are made for. Go to youtube and check out the swimming pigs, compass cay sharks, and thunderball cave. They're all easily reachable in a small boat they give you with your rental.
http://www.stanielcay.com/

posted Hide Post
In July anywhere along the gulf coast is going to be tropical, lots to choose from, do your homework, surf the web find a place that you both will enjoy. Best of luck in your quest!

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Report This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Isn't July the one month where Cali has bad weather?

I went out to Santa Cruz last July and it was cold, dreary and wet.

Posts: 6343 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If you go to the Keys, get out before lobster season--prices double. Sanibel has been voted one of the best beaches in America. The Keys are awesome for a bunch of things but beaches aren't one of them.

Posts: 993 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Texas Gulf Coast, Port Aransas, Rockport, Mustang Island, South Padre Island, lots to do, good fishing, fresh seafood.

Where's the beer!

Posts: 475 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: August 09, 2014Report This Post
Picture of jandersd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not tropical, but Vancouver B.C. is a great city for a vacation. If you like hiking, sailing, eating great food or just about any outdoor activity it's a top notch destination.

+1 on this - I enjoyed visiting - lots of stuff to do outdoors, and yes, great food!

---
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Posts: 1123 | Location: Cartersville, GA | Registered: September 30, 2008Report This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
If you are talking tropical try the Cayman Islands.
My wife and I have only been on cruises how ever I have been thinking of flying in and staying for about a week.
We own a Disney Vacation Club time share and there are several resorts we can trade into.
A friend of ours aunt lives there and they go down about every two years. They love it.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2570 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Report This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
Black's Beach in San Diego.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Of all the places mentioned, here's my take, if you want to stay in the U.S., Key West is the clear winner. San Diego, the water is too cold. Texas the water is dark brown and looks like sewer water. The weather is warmest this time of year in Key West, plenty of great restaurants and plenty of unique things to do and nice beaches and beautiful water. Sanibel and Captiva are nice too, just not as many things to offer as key west.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Kamalame Cay. I've mentioned this place before, here on SIGforum.

Absolutely, with no competition, the nicest vacation place I have ever been.

Of course, my client was paying. Smile
Wow, that looks amazing! Also, like a good thing somebody else was picking up the tab..ouch.
Quite a bit more affordable than Kamalame Cay, the Stella Maris resort on the northern end of Long Island, also in The Bahamas. I have been a few times, sometimes with the client paying, other times taking my wife and a step-son. Great beach-time, good snorkeling, scuba if you want it, well-run dining room, etc. The place is run by a couple of German expatriates, who do a great job. If you're looking to get away from the hustle and bustle, you can't go wrong here.

When was the last time you were at Stella Maris? I ask this because I've been to Long Island about a dozen times and always stay at Flying Fish Marina (with yachts not planes). Flying Fish puts me closer to Turks and Caicos (180NM) or Puerta Plata (320NM). The last time I was there was a year ago and Long Island was hit REALLY hard by that hurricane that passed through 6 months prior and there was still a lot of devastation on long island. Was wondering how Stella Maris has faired.

I've always passed over Stella Maris because they don't have enough depth getting into the marina (5') for a lot of the yachts I run. I don't like testing my luck if I don't have to. Never heard anything about it before, good or bad, just know it's there and has a hotel/marina.