SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any recommendations? US tropical vacation (NO MEXICO)
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Any recommendations? US tropical vacation (NO MEXICO) Login/Join 
marinated and
bacon-wrapped

Picture of getupatree
posted
My wife and I are wanting to go in July without the kids (a much needed 2nd honeymoon). She has been "lobbying" for Cancun for some time but this guy refuses to go anywhere in Mexico.

Perhaps Virgin Islands, or? We'd enjoy some all-inclusive deal. But we don't drink and I know that a big part of the cost of all-inclusive covers drinks.

Would love some recommendations as I only know good fishing spots :-)

Posts: 1835 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 21, 2010Report This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
In July? I'd got NORTH. You're going to fry in the Tropics!

Wink

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Report This Post
marinated and
bacon-wrapped

Picture of getupatree
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TooTech:
In July? I'd got NORTH. You're going to fry in the Tropics!

Wink

I hear ya brother. Alaska would be killer. BUT....not for this trip. July is when the kids go to camp so that gives us an easy week to escape.

Posts: 1835 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 21, 2010Report This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, why not Mexico?

Wife and I enjoy Cozumel; it is "Mexico," but not really "Mexico," in that as far as we think, they know which side their bread is buttered on and we have never had trouble there or felt unsafe.

No matter where you go, avoid all-inclusives-I think they tend to make you less adventurous to try local fare...

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If it doesn't have to be exotic, or all-inclusive, I'd recommend the Florida Keys. One of my favorite beach trips was to the Keys several years ago, where we rented a house (through VRBO) on a small island just outside Marathon, with its own private stretch of beach. We used that as a springboard to other Keys, on the days when we didn't just want to lay on the beach.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
The fabulous Florida Keys come to mind.
It'll be hotter than Hades, definitely tropical. Still in the US of A -and all the freedom/liberty that comes with it- yet in the latitudes equal to Cancun/etc.
EDITED to add: RogueJSK and I apparently think alike. Good deal.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Report This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
North Captiva, FL is a great vacation if you just want to get away and not have to worry about anything. It's a semi-private island with rental homes. No vehicles, just golf carts to get around. Bring your own food and booze and just relax.

www.northcaptiva.com

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Report This Post
marinated and
bacon-wrapped

Picture of getupatree
posted Hide Post
THANKS brothers! I'm researching the Keys and North Captiva now. I've been to Key West on business but that involved the airport and the hotel only...oh and Shula's restaurant :-)

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I'll be at North Captiva in May, I've gone there a couple times. You fly into Ft Myers and take a cab down to the supermarket and liquor store, then over to the ferry.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Kamalame Cay. I've mentioned this place before, here on SIGforum.

Absolutely, with no competition, the nicest vacation place I have ever been.

Of course, my client was paying. Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Nassau, Bahamas...

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Report This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
The temperature in The Keys in the summer isn't hotter than say NJ. But with 90% humidity it will feel hotter.

Actually we are going to the keys this summer to visit friends, check on our house there, and drink rum. The wife and I lived there from 1999 - 2008.

One thing to keep in mind is hurricane season starts June 1. The further south you go in the carribean the more likely you could be effected by a storm in July. The keys busy storm season is late Aug to late Oct / early Nov. Not to say you can't get an early storm it's just less likely.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Report This Post
marinated and
bacon-wrapped

Picture of getupatree
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
The temperature in The Keys in the summer isn't hotter than say NJ. But with 90% humidity it will feel hotter.

Actually we are going to the keys this summer to visit friends, check on our house there, and drink rum. The wife and I lived there from 1999 - 2008.

One thing to keep in mind is hurricane season starts June 1. The further south you go in the carribean the more likely you could be effected by a storm in July. The keys busy storm season is late Aug to late Oct / early Nov. Not to say you can't get an early storm it's just less likely.

That was playing in my mind. Great data.

marinated and
bacon-wrapped

Picture of getupatree
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Kamalame Cay. I've mentioned this place before, here on SIGforum.

Absolutely, with no competition, the nicest vacation place I have ever been.

Of course, my client was paying. Smile

Wow, that looks amazing! Also, like a good thing somebody else was picking up the tab..ouch.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Why not San Diego? English spoken, mostly, take US dollars, no VISAs required, decent beaches, no CHL though, drive on the right, etc.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
St. John or Thomas. Pricing is best for July, its hot Wink

Posts: 13810 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Siesta Key / Sarasota.
Sanibel / Captiva.
Keys.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Report This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
San Diego or Hilton Head.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Report This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by getupatree:
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:

That was playing in my mind. Great data.

We were there last summer the first week of August. We stayed in Key Largo for 3 nights then in Key West for 3 nights. It was hot and humid but we didn't care, it was just like back home in August so we were used to it.

A tropical storm did skirt by south of us while we were in Key Largo but it only brought a little rain and awesome lightning.

While we did enjoy Key West, when we go back at some point we already decided that we will stay in Islamorada and just relax, fish and snorkel all week. Smile I've never felt more relaxed then when we were in the Keys. It's like everything just runs slower down there.

And I decided that I plan to end up living there at some point during my life.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Report This Post
marinated and
bacon-wrapped

Picture of getupatree
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Why not San Diego? English spoken, mostly, take US dollars, no VISAs required, decent beaches, no CHL though, drive on the right, etc.

I'm definitely interested in that. She's never been to Cali. Has to be a good beach. I've got Delta Skymiles out the wazoo so that may help.