SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NRA’s Wayne LaPierre Says He Is Being Extorted, Pressured to Resign
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NRA’s Wayne LaPierre Says He Is Being Extorted, Pressured to Resign Login/Join 
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

This anonymous piece from a longtime lawyer and NRA watcher....

Who's to say this "anonymous longtime lawyer and NRA watcher" isn't associated with the DNC??? Thanks but no thanks. The NRA is the biggest threat to the Democratic Party and the Left-wing trash that runs it. If it wasn't so effective, Hillary Clinton would be president right now, we'd have two more leftwing members of the Supreme Court, and we'd probably be on the way to seeing the complete dismantling of the 2nd Amendment.

The NRA certainly isn't perfect, but they've done more for gunowners historically than any other organization and the hatred spewed by our opponents speaks volumes. The last thing we need is a "forensic audit" conducted by who, Robert Mueller??? Roll Eyes

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If it were a Democrat, we'd be hearing this all over the popular media eight months from the election rather than on a relatively obscure blog site sixteen months from the election. Now is a very good time for the NRA to clean house.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

This anonymous piece from a longtime lawyer and NRA watcher....

Who's to say this "anonymous longtime lawyer and NRA watcher" isn't associated with the DNC??? Thanks but no thanks. The NRA is the biggest threat to the Democratic Party and the Left-wing trash that runs it. If it wasn't so effective, Hillary Clinton would be president right now, we'd have two more leftwing members of the Supreme Court, and we'd probably be on the way to seeing the complete dismantling of the 2nd Amendment.

The NRA certainly isn't perfect, but they've done more for gunowners historically than any other organization and the hatred spewed by our opponents speaks volumes. The last thing we need is a "forensic audit" conducted by who, Robert Mueller??? Roll Eyes

The way I understand it, is that law firm has ties to big time Dimwhitcraps, sooooooo....

I have read that somewhere, I just can't remember where, but Rush Limbaugh was talking about that a week or so ago.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
The NRA certainly isn't perfect, but they've done more for gunowners historically than any other organization and the hatred spewed by our opponents speaks volumes. The last thing we need is a "forensic audit" conducted by who, Robert Mueller???

This was an understandable attitude immediately after the story of corruption broke. We all know the reality of fake news, and the relentless hostility of the left toward the NRA.

But given the details that have since come to light regarding inexcusable extravagance on the part of LaPierre and others-- villas in Italy, lavish buying sprees on Rodeo Drive-- along with (to me) trusted figures like Allen West saying "something's rotten here,"-- it's past time to circle the wagons.

NRA is harming themselves every day they fail to announce that they have begun a systematic investigation, including a forensic audit, and pledge to recommit themselves fully to the important mission they undertook long ago.

The alternative is that Wayne and cronies will drag the NRA down to a slow death.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Every time that I received a solicitation for more money, I responded with a note asking what Wayne LaPerre's total compensation was, and how much of that did he contribute.

I never received an answer, so I did not send more money.

By the way, I am an NRA Life Member.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Every time that I received a solicitation for more money, I responded with a note asking what Wayne LaPerre's total compensation was, and how much of that did he contribute.

I never received an answer, so I did not send more money.

By the way, I am an NRA Life Member.

^^^Ditto^^^

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Surely, you guys know the fundraising letters from the NRA are prepared and printed by and returned to direct mail houses, not NRA staff at their Fairfax HQ. No one is going to read anything but the check amount you put into one of those envelopes. If you want to get your letter read by someone who really can answer it or pass it along to the right person, you have to find a specific staffer at the NRA and send it to them. And this does work. I got hold of Wayne's personal assistant to get him to sign a photo of him and me together and it took no time at all, and Wayne remembered it the next time I saw him. BTW, Wayne's wife works for one of the direct mail houses that does a lot of work for conservative groups. I can imagine they get plenty of NRA work, but they work for lots of other conservative orgs. I once had a job sorting direct mail responses. We got the stuff after the bank was done taking the checks and credit card numbers out of the responses. On average we found about $1000 per day they had missed. Not once did anyone read any of the responses, notes, letters, etc. You really need to direct that stuff to individual people and at the proper address.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Liberty Doll put together what seems to be a good summary of the NRA issues: NRA issues

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
quote:
The NRA certainly isn't perfect, but they've done more for gunowners historically than any other organization and the hatred spewed by our opponents speaks volumes. The last thing we need is a "forensic audit" conducted by who, Robert Mueller???

This was an understandable attitude immediately after the story of corruption broke. We all know the reality of fake news, and the relentless hostility of the left toward the NRA.

But given the details that have since come to light regarding inexcusable extravagance on the part of LaPierre and others-- villas in Italy, lavish buying sprees on Rodeo Drive-- along with (to me) trusted figures like Allen West saying "something's rotten here,"-- it's past time to circle the wagons.

NRA is harming themselves every day they fail to announce that they have begun a systematic investigation, including a forensic audit, and pledge to recommit themselves fully to the important mission they undertook long ago.

The alternative is that Wayne and cronies will drag the NRA down to a slow death.
^^ THIS ^^

Steering a large organization is like steering a supertanker full of crude oil. You can’t turn on a dime (it’s measured in miles not feet). However, only an reckless fool would do nothing and keep heading to the rocky shore at the same speed and steering angle. Hemorrhaging money, hiding expenditures, and executives focused on enriching themselves instead of organization mission purposes is unsustainable and the same as continuing to steer towards the rocky shore at full speed with all of the compartments full of precious cargo the captain & crew were entrusted to deliver safely.

I want the 800 lb gorilla of gun rights around for decades defending our 2A rights. IMO, the best way to achieve this may be painful short-term but we frankly have 18 months or more of a pretty low risk time to make leadership changes, accounting controls changes, BoD governance changes, and policy changes. For example, having a BoD of 6 dozen people rarely leads to good organizational governance and frankly having 6-dozen BoD members is usually intentional to prevent BoD from having much say on anything (ie too many opinions, too many factions, and too many people with trivial levels of involvement).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23205 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
agreed

the NRA as an organization is great - doing what it needs to do and it is our best friend due to its lobby ability

however the leadership is questionable

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53163 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.washingtontimes.co...wsuit-against-gun-r/

NRA donor files class-action suit; claims VP LaPierre blew $275K on suits, $243K on 'luxury travel'
Lawsuit seeks restitution for donation solicitation 'fraud'

By David Sherfinski - The Washington Times - Wednesday, August 7, 2019

A major National Rifle Association donor sued the gun-rights organization this week for fraud, saying its leaders have misspent money over the last four years, ignoring the group’s core mission while paying for expensive clothing and trips for CEO Wayne LaPierre.

David Dell’Aquila filed a federal class-action lawsuit in Tennessee and fired off letters to the attorneys general in New York and Washington on Wednesday, urging them to complete investigations into the NRA well before the 2020 election.

“We feel that the NRA no longer represents its membership and has been corrupted by those in control,” said Mr. Dell’Aquila, who has given about $100,000 worth of cash and gifts to the group in the last several years and — until recently — had pledged most of his estate to the group when he died.

The lawsuit is the latest headache for the gun-rights organization, which has been rocked this year by the departure of top staffers including President Oliver North and former top strategist Chris Cox, and parted ways with its longtime advertising agency after a public dispute over finances.

The NRA is also facing probes by the attorneys general in New York and Washington over financial activities, with the organization’s coveted nonprofit status at risk.

Mr. Dell’Aquila, in his new lawsuit that posted to the Middle District of Tennessee on Wednesday, says the NRA under Mr. LaPierre has drifted from its “core mission” of protecting gun owners’ rights and promoting firearm safety.

He lists nearly $275,000 he says the NRA spent on clothes for Mr. LaPierre at a Beverly Hills store and more than $243,000 on “luxury travel” for him to destinations such as the Bahamas and Palm Beach, Florida.

And citing a memo Mr. North wrote in April, the new lawsuit says the NRA has paid the Brewer law firm nearly $2 million a month but the money was “not properly authorized by the NRA.” Mr. North had told NRA officials the payments to the Brewer firm, which is representing the organization in a lawsuit against New York, were “draining NRA cash at mind-boggling speed.”

NRA President Carolyn Meadows called the expenditures and legal fees in question “stale news” that’s been “recycled by those with personal agendas.”

“I have full confidence in Wayne LaPierre, the Brewer firm, and the substantial amount of work being done in support of the NRA and our members,” she said.

NRA Endowment Member
USAF 1958-1970
Master Instructor 1969-1970
Georgia Gun Owners Member

Posts: 237 | Location: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: February 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
snip

quote:
Originally posted by ch3:

NRA President Carolyn Meadows called the expenditures and legal fees in question “stale news” that’s been “recycled by those with personal agendas.”

“I have full confidence in Wayne LaPierre, the Brewer firm, and the substantial amount of work being done in support of the NRA and our members,” she said.

Maybe she needs to be shown the door as well.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

NRA donor files class-action suit; claims VP LaPierre blew $275K on suits, $243K on 'luxury travel'
Lawsuit seeks restitution for donation solicitation 'fraud'

By David Sherfinski - The Washington Times - Wednesday, August 7, 2019

As if we really need this crap right now.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30400 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
snip

quote:

Maybe she needs to be shown the door as well.

She sounds like a Democrat.
Bad deeds become less bad as time moves on.
If enough time passes the guilty party is eventually exonerated.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another NRA board member resigns as turmoil sweeps through organization

By Emily Jacobs August 13, 2019 | 11:16am | Updated

A fourth person has resigned from the National Rifle Association’s board of directors amid turmoil sweeping through the top ranks of the gun rights group, according to a report.

Julie Golob, a gun rights advocate and professional sport shooter, announced Monday she was resigning from the 76-member board before her three-year term was up, the Washington Post reported.

“I am proud to have had the opportunity to represent the members of the National Rifle Association but I can no longer commit to fulfilling the duties of a director,” Golob wrote in a blog post on her website.

The former director did not offer a reason for her departure, only apologizing to supporters and saying her resignation was in the interest of her family.

“This was not a decision I made lightly. I apologize to those members who have supported me that I will not be completing the full 3-year term. I also feel this is the best decision for me and my family.”

Golob’s departure follows the resignations of three other board members in the last two weeks.

Esther Schneider, Sean Maloney and Timothy Knight quit in a joint resignation letter Aug. 1 that was obtained by the Washington Post.

The paper reports the three wrote that they were stripped of their committee assignments in retaliation for asking questions about NRA chief executive Wayne LaPierre’s lavish spending and other financial excesses.

“While our belief in the NRA’s mission remains as strong today as ever, our confidence in the NRA’s leadership has been shattered,” they wrote.

NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre
NRA chief executive Wayne LaPierreGetty Images
“We have been stonewalled, accused of disloyalty, stripped of committee assignments and denied effective counsel necessary to properly discharge our responsibilities as Board members.”

NRA president Carolyn Meadows thanked Golob for her service and wrote in a statement to the paper: “Julie, a gifted shooter, will continue to support the NRA’s programs. We proudly welcome her ongoing support of our organization.”

The NRA has been roiled by inner turmoil as well as increased scrutiny in the wake of the two mass shootings that claimed 31 lives in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio.

In April, LaPierre publicly accused Oliver North, the newly installed NRA president, of extortion in an effort to have the chief executive ousted from his long-held position.

LaPierre alleged that North threatened to send a letter containing allegations of sexual harassment and excessive spending to the board unless he resigned.

North stepped down as president shortly after the extortion accusations were made public.

He said in his departure announcement that the “clear crisis [in the organization] … needs to be dealt with” if the NRA is going to survive, adding that he believed a committee should be set up to address the organization’s finances.

The NRA did not immediately respond to The Post’s request for comment on the four resignations.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/13/...hrough-organization/

Posts: 387 | Location: NYC | Registered: October 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Great Value Stephen King really needs to just fuck off. He is not an asset to the organization.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mr. Dell’Aquila, in his new lawsuit that posted to the Middle District of Tennessee on Wednesday, says the NRA under Mr. LaPierre has drifted from its “core mission” of protecting gun owners’ rights and promoting firearm safety

I welcome this lawsuit. Sometimes that's the only way to bring about change.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24053 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This lavish spending LaPiere is accused of doing- he was using the money from NRA members. All those phone calls, emails (and in the ancient past, snail mail letters) you've received, breathlessly telling how so VERY VITAL it is for you to give the NRA your hard-earned money so that they can fight for your Second Amendment rights? Yeah, imagine LaPierre getting a manicure at an expensive day spa, while clothed in a 600 dollar bathrobe, and with cucumbers on his eyes. He then puts on a 4500 dollar suit and gets on a private jet which costs 10 grand for the weekend.

That is where your money has been going. How long did it take you to earn each of those dollars? And LaPierre just wipes his ass with your money.

LaPierre needs to be gone, immediately, and while I have absolutely no love for the IRS, they should audit his ass for each of the past seven years.

The NRA needs to get its shit together. Now, more than ever, we need their lobbying power, but, right now, they look like a bunch of distracted ass clowns who couldn't successfully lobby for a new handicap parking spot in front of their own building.

Posts: 107481 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
The NRA is chartered in New York and the NY Attorney General's look into NRA spending habits is an existential threat. If it can be proven money was spent incorrectly, NRA could lose its non-profit status and have all their money taken by the state of NY.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This lavish spending LaPiere is accused of doing

Let the facts be presented, then burn him at the stake, not before.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post