SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NRA’s Wayne LaPierre Says He Is Being Extorted, Pressured to Resign
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NRA’s Wayne LaPierre Says He Is Being Extorted, Pressured to Resign Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
NRA rivals see opening as turmoil grips nation’s biggest gun rights group

The NRA’s rivals on the right sense an opening amid the chaos.

As the National Rifle Association grapples with the drama inside the country’s most powerful gun-rights organization – and Democrats ramp up their gun control push – other gun-rights groups that have long existed in the NRA's shadow are working to raise their profiles.

For months, the NRA has been immersed in its own problems, seeing top leaders exit and facing questions about its money management. A Fox News poll released last week indicated the organization, for the first time, has a net negative rating from voters.

"The Second Amendment Foundation and the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms both are getting many requests to build a backstop in case NRA turmoil creates a void," Alan Gottlieb, of the Second Amendment Foundation, told Fox News. "We are working with politicians, grassroots activists and many former and current NRA directors and employees to make that happen."

Another pro-gun group, Gun Owners of America, talked up its efforts to fight gun control measures, telling Fox News the organization’s staff is “pounding the halls of Congress, urging lawmakers to vote down gun control, and to instead pass legislation encouraging concealed carry."

"Gun Owners of America and our members have generated more than two million letters to Senate offices, urging them to hold the line in defense of Second Amendment-protected rights,” said the organization's senior vice president, Erich Pratt.

While the smaller rivals see an opening, they face a big challenge in raising the massive amount of money the NRA does: According to reports, the NRA brought in $412 million and spent a total of $423 million last year.

But in recent months, the NRA cut ties with its president, Oliver North; its top lobbyist, Chris Cox; and its ad agency, Ackerman McQueen. It also shut down production of its online program, NRATV. Meanwhile, New York Attorney General Letitia James has launched an investigation into the group’s finances, and Washington D.C.'s attorney general has sought financial documents from the NRA.

The Wall Street Journal also recently reported past plans for the organization to buy a $6 million mansion in Dallas for NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre. And on Tuesday, it was reported that NRA board member Richard Childress, a former NASCAR driver, became the fifth member of the organization’s board to resign.

Other pro-gun groups portray themselves as lacking the drama – and the expensive taste.

Dudley Brown, the president of the National Association for Gun Rights, told Politico. “As an organization, we don’t use Gucci-loafered lobbyists in Washington, D.C. in $200,000 wardrobes to grease the palms of weak-kneed politicians to vote right."

He also told Fox News: “We activate our members to do that lobbying for us and for them. That’s the power in a grassroots lobby and NRA lost that a long time ago.”

It’s not just pro-Second Amendment organizations: gun control groups also are trying to take advantage of the NRA’s troubles too.

“With the NRA in turmoil, and facing potentially huge financial fallout as their non-profit status is being challenged by at least two state AGs, the time is now for gun owners and non-gun owners alike to demand that the NRA, legislators, and our president put the safety of Americans before gun industry profits," Kris Brown, of Brady (formerly known as the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence), told Fox News.

The NRA defended its work in a statement to Fox News on Tuesday, saying, “No other organization in the country has been more successful at promoting and protecting gun rights and no other gun organization has a presence in all 50 states like the NRA.”

“The NRA’s enormous strength lies in the passion and commitment of our more-than five million members,” a spokeswoman for the group said. “Because of them, and what their support allows us to do, we’re on the frontlines every day in local municipalities, statehouses across the country, and in the halls of Capitol Hill.”

The NRA added: “Our members educate themselves, communicate with their lawmakers, and vote.”

To be sure, the organization still has the ear of the president.

In the wake of the mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton, President Trump initially signaled his willingness to consider strengthening background checks and implementing so-called “red flag” laws. But he seems to have slightly backed away, telling reporters Tuesday, "We have very strong background checks now." The president added that he’s still open to strengthening background checks but is also focused on mental health solutions.

On Tuesday, Trump spoke by phone with the NRA's LaPierre, who said they "discussed the best ways to prevent these types of tragedies." The Atlantic reported that Trump told LaPierre universal background checks are off the table, but Trump pushed back Wednesday, saying he didn't commit to that and still wants “to close loopholes.”

In another sign that such measures may still be on the table, Trump tweeted Thursday that he's talking with members of both parties, as well as survivors and the NRA and others, on "preventing Mass Shootings."

LaPierre, meanwhile, maintains his grip on power at the organization, as detailed in a fresh New York Times piece.

Democrats are expected to crank up their gun control push when they get back from the summer recess, as Fox News polling shows bipartisan majorities of voters favoring background checks on gun buyers and taking guns from people who are a danger to themselves or others.

Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee last week announced the committee is returning early from recess, on Sept. 4, to consider several gun control bills, including the Extreme Risk Protection Order Act. The committee's chairman, Rep. Jerry Nadler, D-N.Y., also scheduled a Sept. 25 hearing on "military-style assault weapons."

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...est-gun-rights-group

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the President's Column in this months First Freedom is almost sickening to read

apparently Wayne is a great guy, entire misunderstood and has done absolutely nothing wrong

matter of fact, if it weren't for Wayne, we'd all be using crossbows

what a load of crap

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yeah, what's-her-face was really shaking the pom-poms. What really ticked me off was that the only facts she pointed to were the ones you see printed in the newspapers - LaPierre has been in power for a long time and spoke with Trump on the telephone. The last thing we really need right now is for Trump to think that if he makes LaPierre happy, he makes the rest of us happy - given that LaPierre's main concerns right now seem to be putting out brush fires and covering his ass.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I was at Bass Pro last Monday to look at some camping stuff on sale. I passed by an NRA table with two older gents manning it. They asked if I'd like to join and I whipped out my Life Membership card to show them. They then proceeded to start their little speech for more money and I interrupted their pitch informing them that I will be glad to write them a check when Wayne leaves and the NRA undergoes an audit.

They both grinned and replied that they will pass the message on.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Dudley giving advice on NRA or any Pro Gun .Org is cute, this guy likes to send incendiary emails about RKBA friends in Austin that are half baked. He stirs up a lot of FUD from his living room in Colorado.

HK Ag

Posts: 3500 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Got the call from NRA Wednesday to help their latest (always the latest) fund drive.
Told the young man I would continue the annual membership but would not donate a dime to the NRA until Wayne resigned and an audit was conducted. The recent mag President message was crap.
Still support the NRA, just not Wayne.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hunthelp,

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Wayne received a 57% pay raise from NRA last year, along with other benefits and perks.

"The nonprofit group’s latest tax filings show LaPierre received a base salary of $1.3 million, plus a bonus of $455,000 and “other reportable compensation” of more than $427,000, The Washington Post reported Friday. So, in addition to 1.3 million, he recieved $882,000, not counting an additional $73,793:

La­Pierre, 70, also received an additional $73,793 in “retirement and other deferred compensation” and “nontaxable benefits” from the NRA and related entities, according to the filings."

It's the Washington Post, but they are citing tax filings, which are public information for non-profits, so it's probably true.

I think it's a good move by the NRA because LaPierre won't seem so much like an angry, back-against-the-wall crank in the new suits he can buy with all that lucre. Something in a pink seersucker should lighten him up a bit, and add a chic touch when he is partying in some Italian villa.

So, c'mon guys, open your wallets and dig deep to boost Wayne's lifestyle of the rich and famous-- err, I mean, to save the Second Amendment! Yeah, the Second Amendment, that's the ticket....

https://nypost.com/2019/11/16/...-calls-to-step-down/

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Jeezus Christmas!!! Eek I'd do the job for HALF that amount and show up in jeans and a polo.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
He must have some interesting dirt on each member of the BOD. That's insane.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^
Jeezus Christmas!!! Eek I'd do the job for HALF that amount and show up in jeans and a polo.

Goddamn right.

Fuck OFF, Wayne. You're a sack of turtle shit who gives zero fucks about the Second Amendment, except as a way to fill your pockets. I'd wish cancer on him, but he'd probably drain the NRA's coffers for treatment.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it's a good move by the NRA because LaPierre won't seem so much like an angry, back-against-the-wall crank in the new suits he can buy with all that lucre. Something in a pink seersucker should lighten him up a bit, and add a chic touch when he is partying in some Italian villa.

Big Grin

Not another dime from me until LaPierre is gone.
If the NRA is so flush with cash that they can pay him like that... they don't need my money.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
If the NRA is so flush with cash that they can pay him like that... they don't need my money.
Freakin' A, man!! THIS RIGHT HERE!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I have friends that question why I'm becoming so disappointed with the NRA. I'll show them this article to help clarify my feelings. LaPierre is the worse head of the organization in my lifetime, bar none. I've told their callers that I won't give them another dime while he is still there.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I don't think Wayne is a grifter at all.
It is the appearance of that he is looking out more for himself than the group.
His compensation is in line with the industry but it just looks bad.
In the best interest he should turn over the reins to Colion Nior.
THAT would inspire a lot of people, he is young and may not have the experience but he is very bright.
Wayne is not crooked, IMO but the NRA needs a new fresh breath of air.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I feel like such a chump. Working and trying to help people for all of those years. Why didn't I just find someone to steal from? {smacks forehead}

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
In the best interest he should turn over the reins to Colion Nior.
THAT would inspire a lot of people, he is young and may not have the experience but he is very bright.

That's a VERY interesting concept. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Whether Mr. LaPierre is corrupt or not, it’s time for new hot sharp blood. Colion could be it. I like him and his message.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
smschultz: Years ago I learned how much the CEO of United Way pulled in, and that was the end of my contributing to United Way. You are right that non-profit CEO's pull in huge salaries. I thought-- for many years-- that NRA was different. I always thought Wayne was a horrible spokesman for NRA, but I thought of him as a kindred spirit who understood the vital importance of the Second Amendment-- not as a run of the mill CEO stuffing his pockets.

I have taken down my post calling him a grifter, but, you know, the truth is that I think all these non-profit CEOs are grifters. If you were dedicated to the cause you represent-- cancer, heart disease, whatever-- you would not take an annual salary of millions of dollars, not while you are asking ordinary Americans who live on a budget to give you their money for the cause you represent.

As Chellim put it, if NRA can pay LaPierre that way, they don't need my money. And they won't get a penny of it.

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
you would not take an annual salary of millions of dollars

Yes you would.
I realize the concept of charity and/or "a cause" is not compatible with capitalism.
It is more the optics than the actual facts.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
No, sorry, I would not.

I know, it's easy for me to turn down the millions of dollars nobody is offering me, but if I were the CEO of a charitable non-profit I wouldn't take an exorbitant salary. And I don't think it's right for anyone to do so, not if they are really devoted to the cause they espouse. They depend on the trusting nature of most of those who pitch in their dollars to fight childhood leukemia, or cystic fibrosis, never imagining that those dollars in fact are going toward paying the chef and crew of some fat cat's yacht.

And that's exactly the case with LaPierre and the NRA. Read back through this thread and you can see the surprise and shock as members of NRA learned about Wayne's shopping excursions on Rodeo Drive and the tens of thousands of dollars for clothing, and vacations in villas on Lake Como. That's not what we thought we were giving our money to.