SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you ever find yourself on Malta...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you ever find yourself on Malta... Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Go to the armory and the battery museums. The armory is amazing. Full suits of armor from the Knights of St. John, every single square inch engraved or inlaid. Absolutely amazing craftsmanship. Of course there's also swords, pistols, mtchlocks, flintlocks, canons and rocket launchers. Yes, medieval rocket launchers and a 18th century air rifle.

The battery museum is amazing as well. All kinds of different canons from all of the nations that have controlled Malta. And every afternoon at 4:00PM, they fire a salute. Unfortuneatly they wouldn't let me or my daughter load and fire. It didn't matter that she's fired a civil war canon and I've fire a 105mm and a 155mm howitzer.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Traveler
Picture of Sweden
posted Hide Post
I've just arrived in Malta today by way of Maui, strange timing. Unfortunately I'm here for work and will have very little time to sightsee.

Posts: 2484 | Location: CO | Registered: April 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My coworker is about 15 years older than I am, and has traveled extensively personally (e.g. been on 9 cruises) and professionally all over the world. It carried a lot of weight with me when he said that Malta was his and his wife's favorite spot in the Mediterranean. It's on my bucket list.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
If you're on the same cruise ship that really will be strange.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Traveler
Picture of Sweden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
If you're on the same cruise ship that really will be strange.

I edited my post to provide more clarity. Enjoy your cruise.

Posts: 2484 | Location: CO | Registered: April 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
OK just added to bucket list. Thanks 2000Z!
I'm just now digitizing photos from an amazing trip through Greece, Turkey and Eastern Europe in 1966, and am reminded how much history there is in the "Old World"--more than the land can bare, it has been said.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any sign of SigForum member Cliveb? If you run into him, ask how his cat is doing now.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate enough to make a port call there in 2004 or so when I was on an aircraft carrier. The scuba diving there is phenomenal! The water was as clear as gin. Wonderful place to visit.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
My mom is of Maltese descent (she's first generation born in the US) and had visited the country multiple times as a child. She's told me just how beautiful it is and after seeing relatives post pics on Facebook, I'm inclined to believe her. At some point in my life, I'd love to visit.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
How safe is Malta?

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Actually felt very safe there. Granted we were in the tourist sections of Mdina and Valletta which I'm sure they keep a close watch over. Malta even though it is an independent republic is still part of the British Commonwealth. I want to go back when we have more time and do some additional exploring. Fascinating history being at the center of the Mediterranean with just about every major civilization In history laying siege or taking it over by treaty.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
How isa the Malta liquor?

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
How isa the Malta liquor?

Can't really report of that except I did have a couple of locally brewed Maltese Shandys while the wife and I had lunch in front of St. John's Cathedral. I now have a new get bombed in the summertime drink.