SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about bank accounts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about bank accounts Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I want my small Federal tax refund direct deposited to my savings account.

I have checking and savings at the same bank.

Am I correct in assuming that the "routing number" identifies the bank and would be the same for both checking and savings?

It's printed on my checks/deposit slips but not on any paperwork I have for savings.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Probably, but why not just send first to checking and transfer?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I correct in assuming that the "routing number" identifies the bank and would be the same for both checking and savings?

Only a maybe. Some banks have a different routing number for each town or location. Most banks have a main routing number that can be used for all transactions. To be on the safe side call your bank tomorrow. IRS is not going to process your refund any faster from a Sun to a Mon as refunds seem to be sent twice weekly. I check all my tax clients refund status to insure all returns were processed properly & I usually see the twice weekly routine.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
My credit union lists the routing numbers right on the home page of their website. Might be a good place for a quick check.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
We have 2 checking accounts, and 1 savings account at a bank. 1 checking account, and 3 savings accounts at a credit union. All are in the same town.

Routing numbers at the bank are all the same, account numbers are different.

Routing numbers at the credit union are all the same, account numbers are different.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
The google is your friend on this. Search “<bank name> routing number” and you’ll likely get several responses. I’m a big fan of using the one on your actual bank’s website. Some banks only link one routing number. Others (perhaps that have bought multiple other banks) have different routing numbers in different areas. Some have different routing numbers for ACHs than for wires. Your bank’s website should tell you what you need to know.

The reason I suggest the google is because it seems like it least some banks have poorly organized websites with lousy search functions. It can probably be found by going to your bank’s website, but it can probably be found faster with google. Just make the result you use is on your bank’s website.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
It' should be on the bottom of your deposit slip. The first one is bottom left, the routing number, the second to the right is the account number.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
It' should be on the bottom of your deposit slip. The first one is bottom left, the routing number, the second to the right is the account number.

It is on my checking account deposit slips, but not on my savings account deposit slips. Hence the question.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

That would be too easy.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I suggest you phone the bank and ask them how to get it direct deposited to your savings account.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:

What...and then have to write out a check AND a savings deposit slip AND do the math in my check register?

Who do you think I am, Mayer Rothschild?

Razz Big Grin

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
What...and then have to write out a check AND a savings deposit slip AND do the math in my check register?

Razz Big Grin
Same bank? You can't do the transfer online, from checking to savings? No writing required. OK, math, but you can pay a second grader to do that for you. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Razz Big Grin

If your bank has online banking, you can log in to that and transfer the amount between your checking and savings accounts with a couple clicks. No slips. No writing. No math.

I have everything deposited into my checking account. I then have regular savings transfers set up through online banking to coincide with my paycheck deposits. And when I get something extra deposited, like a bonus, overtime, or tax refund, and I want to make a special transfer to savings, I just go online and do a one-time transfer with a few clicks.

Similarly, when I want to use savings to cover something, I just pay for it with my debit card or credit card, and then go online and transfer the funds out of savings with a few clicks.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My bank has multiple branches, and the branches each have their own routing number... my savings account was started in one branch, and my checking account was started in another, so they have different routing numbers. IE, I'd call the bank to find out for sure.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
quote:

Razz Big Grin
Same bank? You can't do the transfer online, from checking to savings? No writing required. OK, math, but you can pay a second grader to do that for you. Razz

Even if they aren't the same bank, transferring between accounts is easy. I routinely transfer money between my Navy Federal and USAA accounts.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Razz Big Grin

What did you do the last 60 times you got a refund? Big Grin

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
What did you do the last 60 times you got a refund? Big Grin

But this time I don't need to spend it on anything so I'm having an Adult Moment and putting it in savings.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Ok, I can handle this (I should be able to given I've worked around banking tech for some 25 years). I used to work for SunTrust Banks Inc many years ago so lets take an example from there.

SunTrust's main routing and transit number is: 0631-0215. 0631 represents the Federal Reserve District ID SunTrust is assigned to, and 0215 is the branch ID (Downtown Orlando location). Banks have 'many' R&T numbers, and generally acquire additional R&T's as mergers and acquisitions occur.

With all that said, your best solution is to call your bank and verify the R&T associated with your savings account. I wouldn't simply assume it to be the same as your checking account, although it may actually be.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, they are not always the same.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post