SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Costco Synthetic Oil
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Costco Synthetic Oil Login/Join 
posted
I see that Costco is now selling Kirkland brand synthetic motor oil. I am a big fan of Kirkland products, except their 1.5 volt batteries seem to have gone downhill and leak. But anyway what do we know/think about this new offering from Costco? I wonder if it is Mobil since they have carried Mobil One for a long time now.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Costco oil is made by Warren Distribution, the same company that makes SuperTech for walmart and Amazon basics oil for Amazon. It’s a good oil, but it has a weaker additive pack than Mobil 1.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Warren's niche is producing motor oil's with somebody else's label on them (in this case Costco/Kirkland).

It's credentialed as an API licensed SN PLUS/ILSAC GF-5, the products are approved for use in all GM gasoline engines requiring dexos1™ Gen 2. In other words, check your owner's manual to see what specs they require for warranty.

Mobil 1's Specifications and approvals are more extensive:
quote:
Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:
ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5
API SN, SM, SL, SJ, SN PLUS, SN PLUS RESOURCE CONSERVING
ILSAC GF-5
Ford WSS-M2C946-A
Ford WSS-M2C946-B1

Mobil 1 5W-30 has the following builder approvals:
General Motors Service Fill dexos1™ Gen 2 (license number D10104GH015)
Honda/Acura HTO-06

Mobil 1 5W-30 is recommended by ExxonMobil for use in applications requiring:
General Motors 4718M
General Motors 6094M
Ford WSS-M2C929-A

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Warren's niche is producing motor oil's with somebody else's label on them (in this case Costco/Kirkland).

It's credentialed as an API licensed SN PLUS/ILSAC GF-5, the products are approved for use in all GM gasoline engines requiring dexos1™ Gen 2. In other words, check your owner's manual to see what specs they require for warranty.

quote:
ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5
ILSAC GF-5
Ford WSS-M2C946-A
Ford WSS-M2C946-B1

Honda/Acura HTO-06

General Motors 4718M
General Motors 6094M
Ford WSS-M2C929-A
Yep. But if you religiously maintain a 10k mile (or less) oil change interval, you'll see no real difference in engine wear between using Mobil 1 or SuperTech (what I use) other than you'll pay quite a bit more for the prior. Heck, there's one high performance engine builder I know here in Orlando who continually claims that even using regular dino oil in daily driver vehicles, and changing it every 3 to 5k miles, will protect an engine against significant wear for the life of the vehicle. The change interval is the key, not so much which slippery product your use.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

quote:
ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5
ILSAC GF-5
Ford WSS-M2C946-A
Ford WSS-M2C946-B1

Honda/Acura HTO-06

General Motors 4718M
General Motors 6094M
Ford WSS-M2C929-A
Yep. But if you religiously maintain a 10k mile (or less) oil change interval, you'll see no real difference in engine wear between using Mobil 1 or SuperTech (what I use) other than you'll pay quite a bit more for the prior. Heck, there's one high performance engine builder I know here in Orlando who continually claims that even using regular dino oil in daily driver vehicles, and changing it every 3 to 5k miles, will protect an engine against significant wear for the life of the vehicle. The change interval is the key, not so much which slippery product your use.

I agree with this. As long as you use the recommended type by the manufacturer you should be fine. It is a rare event that someone actually wears out an engine in a car. Most people simply don't keep cars that long (from new) or drive that much per year. Think about it, most modern engines will easily go 250K miles if maintained to the owners manual recommendation, most cars will not (either wrecked, stolen, too many issues that cost more than fixing,etc.) Back in the day the yellow cab taxi cabs that idled all of the time would go 500k miles or more on the engines (say 1990-2000 cars) with just normal oil and maintenance.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the Costco synthetic is the same as the Amazon synthetic then it is a very good oil that tested well against Mobile 1 here. Enjoy and God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Those project farm videos are for “entertainment only”. The real way to see how an oil performs is to look up how they perform in real tests by people such as ASTM. https://www.astm.org/STATQA/Engine_Oil.htm

Cheap motor oils will get you by. But in my experience using cheap motor oils will cause an engine to burn oil faster and lose compression more quickly than good synthetics. They usually don’t have as high a Total Base Number (TBN) and as much anti-wear additives as name brand conventional and synthetic oils. I only use Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Motul oils because of their additive packages, TBN, and they resist burn-off better than the SOPUS (Shell Oil Products US) and Warren Distribution products I’ve used in my engines.

———————————————

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know what the best oil is? Some oil. Know what the worst oil is? No oil. Pick the prettiest bottle and change it religiously and you will never be able to tell the difference between it the most expensive shit you can buy.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
You know what the best oil is? Some oil. Know what the worst oil is? No oil. Pick the prettiest bottle and change it religiously and you will never be able to tell the difference between it the most expensive shit you can buy.

Oil has advanced so much in the past 20 years. These days I just change every 5,000 miles or so along with a quality filter and haven't had any issues.

However, I think there are some exceptions such as commercial vehicles or cars that are raced. But for most of us, regular changes will take care of that engine for many tens of thousands of miles.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I just bought some Kirkland 0W-20 Synthetic for my new Gladiator.
I plan on changing my oil every 7500 if not sooner and for $30 for 2 5 quart containers it’s a great value!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Mobil1 tastes best. Especially in your coffee.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
I agree with this. As long as you use the recommended type by the manufacturer you should be fine. It is a rare event that someone actually wears out an engine in a car. Most people simply don't keep cars that long (from new) or drive that much per year. Think about it, most modern engines will easily go 250K miles if maintained to the owners manual recommendation,[/QUOTE]

I run all my vehicle till the motors are totally worn out/blown. Right now I two vehicles that have over 300,000 on their motors, transmission, rear ends, and transfer cases. 2001 GMC Sonoma 4.3 V6 and 2004 Chevrolet 3/4 ton with 8.1 V8. They both have ran on dino oil that has been changed at 3 to 3.5 K intervals and still running strong.

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you really want an opinion you can always go here - https://www.bobistheoilguy.com...threads.php?ubb=cfrm

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1364 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GRIZZLYBEAR:
I agree with this. As long as you use the recommended type by the manufacturer you should be fine. It is a rare event that someone actually wears out an engine in a car. Most people simply don't keep cars that long (from new) or drive that much per year. Think about it, most modern engines will easily go 250K miles if maintained to the owners manual recommendation,

I run all my vehicle till the motors are totally worn out/blown. Right now I two vehicles that have over 300,000 on their motors, transmission, rear ends, and transfer cases. 2001 GMC Sonoma 4.3 V6 and 2004 Chevrolet 3/4 ton with 8.1 V8. They both have ran on dino oil that has been changed at 3 to 3.5 K intervals and still running strong.[/QUOTE]

300k miles is quite a feat for one owner, and glad to hear they're both running great with dyno oil. But, you are in the drastic minority of normal vehicle owners. I was the original owner of my 2008 Expedition from Dec 2007 to June 2018 (10.5 years) and it was my sole vehicle and I traded it in with 103k miles.

Most people never keep a vehicle that long or put that many miles on them over the vehicles life span. The majority of owners switch vehicles about every 3 years. Over the life span of most vehicles they have multiple owners. Most vehicles don't last that long on the original engine due to a catastrophic failure (overheat due to a blown hose/radiator/etc. or something similar) or the car gets wrecked/totaled etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keeping a clean air filter plays a big part as well .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree with this. As long as you use the recommended type by the manufacturer you should be fine. It is a rare event that someone actually wears out an engine in a car. Most people simply don't keep cars that long (from new) or drive that much per year. Think about it, most modern engines will easily go 250K miles if maintained to the owners manual recommendation,

today's cars electronics will fail long before an engine @ 250K miles. Long oil change intervals are fine, but the bigger question is will your oil filter last the same duration??

Posts: 194 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stuffgeek:
Long oil change intervals are fine, but the bigger question is will your oil filter last the same duration??
Define long... That's a bit of an opened ended debate. To me, long is 7,500 to 10k miles on pure synthetic. To some using the same oil, long might be 25k miles. Since I have similar concerns about oil filter longevity, I'll stick to oil and filter changes around 7,500. I enjoy working on my vehicles and its cheap insurance IMO.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with you- no more than 10k miles with a filter designed for it. I heard folks using a std $3 filter with synthetic oil and thinking everything is a ok

Posts: 194 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stuffgeek:
quote:

today's cars electronics will fail long before an engine @ 250K miles.

Say what? I’ve never had the electronics/electrical systems fail on any of my Hondas or Toyotas.

———————————————

posted Hide Post
How long do u keep them?
2007 Honda Odyssey instrument cluster out at 103k