SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Attention car detailing experts
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attention car detailing experts Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Does anyone have any tips for washing the inside of the windshield???
Good technique.

One additional step I sometimes do with a really gross windshield is to use IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) and a MF (microfiber) cloth to wipe away the bulk of the film before doing essentially what Larry does in the video. And Invisible Glass (what Larry used in the video) is my go to given its readily available and works very well.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could I ask a quick question not related to door seals? Does anyone have any tips for washing the inside of the windshield??? I can clean any other piece of glass on the car perfectly but the inside of the windshield is my nemesis. Besides hating to do it it always comes out crappy. Any tools or techniques you all would care to share? (Especially ones that don't cause me to bend my wrist at an odd angle).

As for door trim I used to use a silicon spray but changed to 303. Mostly for convenience. I'm not a big detailing guy and I like being able to use and stock only one product. Also while pure silicon may not damage rubber, I was more worried about the propellents used in the spray causing deterioration.

I always do the interior front window twice. Once with paper towels and usually use invisible glass. Then after it's dry I do it a second time with invisible glass and a microfiber.

Bigdeals method works well too. I think Isopropyl alcohol is the primary ingredient in rain-x.

Another method that works well is crumpled up newspaper and white vinegar.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
mbinky, besides what's been said I've used steel wool to get the really tough stains/steaks off glass. I wouldn't use it on the heated wire element on the rear windshield though.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:
mbinky, besides what's been said I've used steel wool to get the really tough stains/steaks off glass. I wouldn't use it on the heated wire element on the rear windshield though.

I would NOT use this on any glass. It can and will put micro scratches in it. If you're dead set on using wool, use OOOO bronze wool. But again, I wouldn't use anything of the sort on glass.

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:

I would NOT use this on any glass. It can and will put micro scratches in it. If you're dead set on using wool, use OOOO bronze wool. But again, I wouldn't use anything of the sort on glass.

True.

If you want to see what steel wool does to glass, use it on a mirror.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used both the 303 for the rubber seals and the Poorboys worked great on the dash. What would you suggest for plastic metallic trim on the exterior? Thanks much.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I have used both the 303 for the rubber seals and the Poorboys worked great on the dash. What would you suggest for plastic metallic trim on the exterior? Thanks much.
Plastic/metallic? Kind of a contradiction in terms. Rather than to guess, can you better describe what it is you want to detail?

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Plastic/metallic? Kind of a contradiction in terms. Rather than to guess, can you better describe what it is you want to detail?

Sorry. I wish I knew how to show you a photo. Vehicle is 2016 Honda Accord. The door handles and trim that goes around the windows and the front grille is what I am talking about. It is shiny and metallic in color but not sure what it is made out of. It is not chrome like back in the day. Hope this clarifies it a bit. Thanks for your help.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sorry. I wish I knew how to show you a photo. Vehicle is 2016 Honda Accord. The door handles and trim that goes around the windows and the front grille is what I am talking about. It is shiny and metallic in color but not sure what it is made out of. It is not chrome like back in the day. Hope this clarifies it a bit. Thanks for your help.

Nevr dull should work well for it.....and use a microfiber to wipe it off.

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could I ask a quick question not related to door seals? Does anyone have any tips for washing the inside of the windshield??? I can clean any other piece of glass on the car perfectly but the inside of the windshield is my nemesis. Besides hating to do it it always comes out crappy. Any tools or techniques you all would care to share? (Especially ones that don't cause me to bend my wrist at an odd angle).

https://www.amazon.com/1Z-Eins...=einszett+windscreen

Einzettes with a microfiber beats invisible glass for me. Sonax glass cleaner runs a close second.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

To add to the above post.
I have been looking around the internet and am unsure as to what the composition is of the trim on my Honda 2016 accord. It is whatever comes standard on the model. It appears that the Honda emblem, window trim, and part of the front grille is made of the same material. I doubt it is chrome, but really do not know for sure.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

To add to the above post.
I have been looking around the internet and am unsure as to what the composition is of the trim on my Honda 2016 accord. It is whatever comes standard on the model. It appears that the Honda emblem, window trim, and part of the front grille is made of the same material. I doubt it is chrome, but really do not know for sure.
If you're unclear as to what material these moldings are composed of, simple rule of thumb is to stay far away from anything abrasive. That takes away most metal polishes. Lots of chrome trim on cars today is little more than plastic covered in an adhesive foil. Many times emblems and grill trim is little more than polished aluminum (keeps manufacturing costs down).

Personally, I'd probably give everything a good wash and then coat the 'chrome like' moldings with whatever I opted to wax/seal the paint with. If its a newer car, the trim should still be in pretty good shape, so protection/maintenance is likely the goal rather than correction.

If you can figure out how to post a couple pics in this thread, I might be able to provide some better feedback. If you can't post them here, email me (address is in my profile) a couple pics and I'll post them for you.

posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am sending the pics via my Iphone. Thank you for your help.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am sending the pics via my Iphone. Thank you for your help.
Here ya go. I stand by my previous recommendation. This is likely aluminum (or something similar), and anything abrasive will scratch it. Look to protect it before you need to correct it.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is likely aluminum (or something similar), and anything abrasive will scratch it. Look to protect it before you need to correct it.

Even more likely, "chrome" plated plastic. They stopped making grills from aluminum about the time the EPA got going, didn't they?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Great advice.

Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine...-1&keywords=shinetsu

I have used this Honda branded Silicone grease on my S2000 convertible top/door seals since 2000. It is the factory recommended product for that application. No leaks whatsoever, It really keeps the rubber like new. I reapply about every 2 years. It is kind of a pain to apply though, so probably not what you want.

That Honda grill is definitely plastic. I just use my regular wax (pinnacle) or sealant (Wolfgang) on mine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CaptainMike,

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
That Honda grill is definitely plastic. I just use my regular wax (pinnacle) or sealant (Wolfgang) on mine.
It might very well be plastic, but since aluminum is even more prone to scratching than the foil wrapped plastic, I was trying to err on the side of caution. And for the record, both the Pinnacle and Wolfgang products you mentioned are excellent.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I've used 303 on all the plastic for quite a while. It doesn't get too shiny, especially if you go light with it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FYI; You should read Parabellum's message yesterday concerning requests for experts and Gurus. Just letting you know.

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post