SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Attention car detailing experts
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attention car detailing experts Login/Join 
posted
What product is best for keeping rubber car door seals in good shape? Ease of application is important to me. Thanks

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
Wurth rubber care is pretty darn good.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
303 protectant has worked well for me. WURTH makes good stuff as well. Two good options.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Since those moldings are not subject to rain or other extreme conditions that would tend to wash away what you put on them, I'd recommend 303 as well given its easy to come by, relatively inexpensive, and super easy to apply.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
303 protectant has worked well for me. WURTH makes good stuff as well. Two good options.

Or silicone spray

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
I use a white dielectric grease. It works great and lasts quite a while.

Posts: 527 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
[URL=303 Rubber Seal Protectant and Conditioner for Weather Seals - 3.4 fl. oz.

303 Rubber Seal Protectant and Conditioner for Weather Seals - 3.4 fl. oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T...cp_tai_hE.-ybM00M8EY

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
I would stay away from the silicone based products. Go with the Aerospace 303.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Gummi Pfledge Stift just because I like the name. Seems to work well:

https://www.amazon.com/nextzet...Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
I use Gummi Pfledge Stift just because I like the name. Seems to work well:

https://www.amazon.com/nextzet...Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG

Good stuff !! I use this for rubber seals, and 303 on the dash.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Or silicone spray
Absolutely 'No'. Do not use silicone on rubber.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob at the Beach:
...and 303 on the dash.
303 is a good product and will work on the dash. 'But', if you want to try something that lasts a bit longer, smells better, is a bit less expensive, and offers a really nice matte finish, try Poorboy's Natural Look Dressing. Its been my favorite for quite some time, and I use it throughout the interior.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Or silicone spray

Sil-Glyde, pure silicone in a gel carrier, made especially for brake rubber, o-ring assembly, weatherstripping, etc.

http://agscompany.com/product/...lubricant-tube-4-oz/

I have used this product extensively on all types of rubber, and it works and lasts. Absolutely no deterioration of the rubber.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Another 303 recommendation from me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
quote:
Or silicone spray

Sil-Glyde, pure silicone in a gel carrier, made especially for brake rubber, o-ring assembly, weatherstripping, etc.

I have used this product extensively on all types of rubber, and it works and lasts. Absolutely no deterioration of the rubber.

All I can tell you is that every pro detailer I've ever met, and every detailing forum I have ever been a member of, will tell you to stay away from using silicon based products of any sort of interior plastic, vinyl, or rubber.

And from the product description you linked to, that product is primarily used as a lubricant, not a protectant.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
quote:
Or silicone spray

All I can tell you is that every pro detailer I've ever met, and every detailing forum I have ever been a member of, will tell you to stay away from using silicon based products of any sort of interior plastic, vinyl, or rubber.

And from the product description you linked to, that product is primarily used as a lubricant, not a protectant.

Silicone spray was invented to protect rubber seals?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Silicone spray was invented to protect rubber seals?
Let's not turn this into a debate between the two of us. I simply shared the info and opinions I've acquired over the past 15-20 years detailing cars, and being a part of that community. The op is obviously free to evaluate all the comments in this thread and make their own decision on what to use.

Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
http://adamspolishes.com/shop/...e-trim-dressing.html

ADAM'S SUPER VRT TIRE & TRIM DRESSING

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 388 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Could I ask a quick question not related to door seals? Does anyone have any tips for washing the inside of the windshield??? I can clean any other piece of glass on the car perfectly but the inside of the windshield is my nemesis. Besides hating to do it it always comes out crappy. Any tools or techniques you all would care to share? (Especially ones that don't cause me to bend my wrist at an odd angle).

As for door trim I used to use a silicon spray but changed to 303. Mostly for convenience. I'm not a big detailing guy and I like being able to use and stock only one product. Also while pure silicon may not damage rubber, I was more worried about the propellents used in the spray causing deterioration.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the tips. I appreciate your taking the time. Michael

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post