SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Beef. It's what's for Dinner - Sous Vide Style
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beef. It's what's for Dinner - Sous Vide Style Login/Join 
Picture of Sailor1911
posted
Got a 3 # Bottom Round Roast at the grocery. Started with this recipe, modified as follows: left out the Rosemary (none on hand), replaced with [I a few stalks of chopped up Chipotle in the rub and added few sprigs of Thyme, whole, to the bag.

Cooked the meat Sous Vide for 24 hours at 134, plugged in a meat thermometer, reserved the juices from the cook (au jus) then finished in the oven for 30 minutes to brown and bring up the temp a little. Turned out really well. Meat was fork tender, cut like "butta" and Med Rare throughout, Au Jus was wonderful.

Sous Vide Roast Beef Recipe

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sailor1911,

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Host the photos on PostImages.org. No memberships needed and super easy.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Roast Beef, Good Gracious!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
Host the photos on PostImages.org. No memberships needed and super easy.

Thanks for the tip. Better with pics!

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Looks excellent but I must admit I don't get the whole souse vide thing. Put it in warm water for 24 hours and then you still have to put it in a oven or throw it on the grill afterwards to make it look appealing?

Man that's a lot of time invested in a piece of meat. I'll stick to my smoker.
But I'd still hit it! Looks great!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I’ve got to jump in. I just got a Sous Vide set up a few weeks ago. Wife and myself are no slouches in the kitchen and thought the same thing.
OBSERVATION!!
This will not replace your grill, smoker, Green Egg,etc. I will do certain things that others wont. It’s one more “caliber” for the kitchen!!
I have only done a Tri-tip roast and a New York Strip Steak so far. Both the BEST I’ve ever had!!

https://imgur.com/a/PqtJv

https://imgur.com/a/FWuaG
The New York was finished off in a Cast iron skillet VERRY quickly as I was lazy to run out to the grill. I will do the grill next time. There was hardly any marbelizing in the Steak but it was tender as love. 135 degrees for 2 3/4 hrs. I like mine!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just starting out with this sous vide thing. Cast iron makes a great finish but you have to get it REAL hot - almost to the point of burning the oil. I also started playing around with using a propane (not butane) torch to sear and it and it worked great. Instead of using the goose-neck that you screw on the top of the tank which can be difficult to point down to sear, I had a flexible hose plumber' head unit that can go any direction without flooding. You can buy the Sears-all (I think that's the name) but for $75 I'll go with what can be multipurposed.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
The beauty of the Sous Vide cooker (Anova) is the food will be cooked to an even temp throughout as you can see with the beef. 134 from edge to edge and the meat cooks in its own juices.

And, as far as the hassle factor. In this case, I set the timer for 24 hours and the temp I wanted and only had to check on it a couple times in the 24 hours to add more water to the pot as needed. Basically, forget about it until the time is up. No maintenance involved. I love the thing.

Tough part for me is the long cook times. Can't wrap my brain around a 24 hour cook time for a hunk of beef. Seems like heresy but it works great.

Try it, you'll love it too.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Looks excellent but I must admit I don't get the whole souse vide thing. Put it in warm water for 24 hours and then you still have to put it in a oven or throw it on the grill afterwards to make it look appealing?

Man that's a lot of time invested in a piece of meat. I'll stick to my smoker.
But I'd still hit it! Looks great!

I do get it. Frown
It is how all the top restaurants cook.
I still don't like either, seems so sterile to me.
Using a smoker or the Big Green Egg is soooo much cooler (you know what I mean) >> more fun. Smile

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
After sous viding steak I put some aluminum foil on a cookie sheet and place the dried steak under the broiler to finish for a couple of minutes. Good color and sear and easy cleanup. Better than searing on a skillet that you then have to clean.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
The "time it takes to cook" thing is all relative. Cooking a large roast on the grill might take less time but requires almost constant attention, with sous vide you can put it in the hot water and pretty much forget it until you are ready to eat.

Granted, there is something primal and 'knarley' about cooking over a grill and sous vide seems kind of, shall we say, dainty! Smile

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
After sous viding steak I put some aluminum foil on a cookie sheet and place the dried steak under the broiler to finish for a couple of minutes.

Cool

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I made some of the best mashed potatoes I have ever eaten sous vide. It makes good steaks too! I use my plumber's torch with MAP-Plus to sear.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

Cooked the meat Sous Vide for 24 hours at 134

If 140 degrees to 40 degrees is the temperature danger zone for food, how does this not result in food poisonings? Is it the fact that it's vacuum sealed?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

If 140 degrees to 40 degrees is the temperature danger zone for food, how does this not result in food poisonings? Is it the fact that it's vacuum sealed?

danger zone for storing food, cooked or raw, cause that is the temp evil microbes can grow best at,

rare is a bit less than that, I routinely cook roast beef and pull from the smoker at 110, let sit a bit, and enjoy

the leftovers need to get below 40degrees inside 4 hours to be considered 'safe' in a food service industry setting

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

Pasteurization is reached based on time/temperature calculations. The vacuum makes sure air doesn’t act as an insulator of heat against the food.

Edit: here’s a link: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got an Anova Precision cooker for Christmas. So far I have made New York strips, some really amazing Flat Iron steaks, and some great chicken breast. I also have made the absolute best mash potatoes I have ever cooked. My wife asked to make them again as soon as we finished them Big Grin

I am going to try making fried chicken this weekend.
https://www.chefsteps.com/acti...-it-up-fried-chicken

Posts: 430 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
What is the technique for the mashed potatoes?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Here's one I like, it's hidden in steak video, but keep watching, it's in there.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/7zf-gY-NS44

It's a different texture than boiling potatoes. I've made same recipe boiling taters too, came out just as good.

All of his videos are awesome, I suggest checking out his entire channel.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
^^^^ That's where I got it from

quote:

2 big potatoes (I used 3 medium sized)
Peeled & Sliced 1/4"
1 TSP salt
1/2 TSP pepper
1/2 TSP garlic powder
1/2 cup butter
1/2 stick creme cheese (4 oz)
2 oz heavy cream

1 gallon food saver bag
Everything in the bag, vacuum & seal at end.
Spread everything as evenly as possible in the now sealed bag.

+/- 2 hours at 185 degrees. Moosh everything in the sealed bag with your hands once it's done. Be careful not to unseal the bag while doing this.

If you're cooking steaks too you'll do that at a much lower temp. You can simply put the bag in with the steaks while they cook to keep it hot.

I suspect the reason I liked them so much was due to the fact that the potatoes were never boiled in water. I don't eat seafood because I don't like the "water" taste. Everything on the plate was made sous vide.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post