SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rode a motorcycle for the first time in 12 years today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rode a motorcycle for the first time in 12 years today Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted
Haven't been on a motorcycle since my oldest was born. Got to ride one today for a short few miles, thanks to a friend talking me into it.

Damn that felt like freedom. Damn that felt good.

(Must resist, must resist)

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10924 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Or wait until the youngest is 18. It all depends on how you look at it.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
It is Freedom.

Went for a little ride yesterday up the Columbia river gorge. Coming back west on highway 14 along the Columbia river as I was tooling along watching the surreal brilliant orange sunset next to the mighty Columbia river. Thinking life is good.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
It is Freedom.

Went for a little ride yesterday up the Columbia river gorge. Coming back west on highway 14 along the Columbia river as I was tooling along watching the surreal brilliant orange sunset next to the mighty Columbia river. Thinking life is good.

I've had those days too...and then a fucking deer jumped out in front of me.

Big Grin

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Nothing like it !

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
Glad you enjoyed the ride.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
It is Freedom.

Big Grin

Especially this time of year, be aware of more frequent deer "activity", if you live in areas where this is a concern. I'd even suggest not even riding in dusk/dawn time frames.

Be safe out there. People in SUV's texting/checking their cellphones have little concern of people on two wheels.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
I haven't ridden in probably 15 years but I kept the MC endorsement on my DL even as I changed states as a matter of pride. I've often wondered if riding again would be like getting back on a bicycle or if I would be "rusty" so to speak.

Did you find it all came back like you rode last weekend or was it more challenging than that?

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s a long time to go without a ride. There is NOTHING quite like taking a motorcycle for a ride....it’s one of the best sensations you can experience.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:
I haven't ridden in probably 15 years but I kept the MC endorsement on my DL even as I changed states as a matter of pride. I've often wondered if riding again would be like getting back on a bicycle or if I would be "rusty" so to speak.

Did you find it all came back like you rode last weekend or was it more challenging than that?

I was bikeless from 1984 to 1990-ish, and only sporadically between 1990 and 1998. The skills didn't atrophy, but it took a while to re-adjust physically. One bike I had briefly (a Yamaha XS750) would put my arms to sleep in minutes. All of them raised hell with my back until I re-developed the associated muscles.

I've put a bit over 13,000 miles on my '16 FJ and can now ride a couple of hours straight without discomfort.

Until I get off the bike...my knees stiffen up from being in one position that long. Might have something to do with my 68th birthday being imminent...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took a long break too. 2004 - 2015. Cell phone usage and the modern driver was the hardest thing to get used to.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:

The first few minutes were a challenge. "Let's see, this is the clutch, this is the brake, Oh, the gears are down here."

I was never a highly experienced rider to begin with.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10924 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
It is Freedom.

Big Grin

In my case it was a Ram. Not of the goat variety, but of the Dodge.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
Good to hear you enjoyed it after so many years. I have been riding now for close to 50 years, my current ride is a 2010 Streetglide.
Had heart surgery last year and have lost interest in the bike. So I went out and bought myself a Pontiac Solstice GXP, 2 seater.
I love the 2 seater more than the 2 wheels, still have the wind and the freedom, plus I can turn on the heat when it gets cold Big Grin
As I tell all my riding friends..."ride safe" and especially watch for vehicles making a left turn towards you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
It is Freedom.

Big Grin

This is the short answer to why I quit riding. Exponential traffic growth, Cell phones, and too many responsibilities..

I miss it though.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
I was 25 yrs between rides.....Decided after my hands twitching every time I saw a bike it was time. I had originally quit to keep my new bride happy..... So after much thought on the subject, several major life changes, and with my two kids about fully grown. I told the wife I was going to get a bike and would be purchasing a term life insurance to cover my income should I not survive the road with her many hazards. Been riding again since 1996. And I love every minute I can get on a bike. The only misfortunes since in riding have been of my own making. I am always riding as if I am invisible as there are many of the retired here who have no compunction at all in pulling out in front of you. I have, as I age reduce my speed and chance taking(most of the time)as I don't bounce nearly as well as I used to ( - =

Posts: 4410 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Haven't been on a motorcycle since my oldest was born. Got to ride one today for a short few miles, thanks to a friend talking me into it.

Damn that felt like freedom. Damn that felt good.

(Must resist, must resist)

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. For me it was a good deal longer than twelve years.

I did resist, but it was a close thing there for a bit.

In the end: The way drivers drive today, my age and having no place to store it out of the weather killed the idea.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I haven't ridden in 38 years. I stopped because of the diabetes because back then the insulins were not advanced and more predictable as they are today.

On the other hand I wonder if type 1 diabetics these days safetely ride (statistically) in spite of the condition. I would like to ride again but I'd have to know the statistics. It would be bad if I went out without knowing the statistics if in fact the numbers were against me. That information may not be available.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
In 2005 I had not ridden a motorcycle in 20 years. I was a dirt bike enthusiast for years in my younger days. I bought a new Harley Softail FatBoy on my 47th birthday. Jumped on the thing and rode it home. No problem.

A week or two later I took an MSF beginners course that the Harley dealer sponsored, and discounted from buying the bike there. I think they called it Riders Edge. It got me my endorsement back from when I had my license suspended when I was 21.

I put 65K on that bike in 10 years and bought a new Streetglide in 2016.

My only regret in all of this is waiting so damned long to get that first Harley. Did not realize how much I missed being on two wheels.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I had to give it up 2 years ago due to cancer treatment and the neuropathy in my feet. I truly miss the solo rides out in the country. Some of my final memories will involve those rides as well hunting and fishing experiences.

I've ridden the Columbia River gorge many times and it is an awesome way to spend a day or 2 for sure.

Oh well, all things must come to an end at some time. Better to be safe than in a hospital or worse.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post