SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Red dots for every weapon?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red dots for every weapon? Login/Join 
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted
With the ever increasing number of firearms that can accept and/or come with red dot sights, out of simple curiousity, I recently wondered if anyone here might have red dot sights installed on their pistol, rifle and shotgun.

If so, is this just for competitive shooting, personal/home defense, both?

As for me, I'm firmly sold on RDSs for rifles and shotguns, but I haven't made that leap with pistols. Just from limited handling of some RDS equipped pistols that come through my LGS, I find it a bit more difficult to rapidly aquire the dot. This, plus a bit of, ( silly, I know ) mis-trust of them on a pistol.

I'm interested in what the forum has to say about this subject.

Question:
Do you have a red dot sight of some sort installed on a pistol, rifle and shotgun?

Choices:
Yes, doesn't everyone?
No, but I use RDSs on one or two of the three firearms types
Not no, but hell no! Those fancy gizzmos are for Buck Rogers!
Red dot sights.. on a gun..? This can be done?

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
RDS are a godsend for my implanted lens replacements.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried one on a pistol, but I'm 100% sold on them for long guns for defense and combat. Only thing stopping me on the handgun is cost and priorities. I'll get one soon I'm sure.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
If you count my Open gun, yes. I don't find slide rides that useful.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Red dots are a criminal offense on historical firearms (and reproductions). Can you see a red dot on a 1873 Winchester...or on a Sharps? How about on a Colt SAA?

But it's really cool on my Ruger 10/22.

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They are an excellent container to store dead batteries in.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
My eyes, which were never very good, find red dots to be a godsend. I have them on 2 of my 3 .22 rifles (the third is a really good peep) and my Single Six and now my pellet pistol.

Sight acquisition is indeed an issue and I do not have and will not put them on any of my pistols.

For the cheapies I use, recoil tolerance is also an issue so there are none on my centerfire weapons.

Not sure why anybody would want one on a shotgun except perhaps a slugs-only situation.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
They are an excellent container to store dead batteries in.

This is also true. I have a hole in my diesel fuel tank as evidence.

I had a particularly ballsy fox stalking my chickens in broad daylight. Grabbed my Henry in .22 Mag, flipped on the scope and...nada. Out of desperation and not a little anger, I tried point-shooting at him, panning and racking as he ran across the barnyard. I stopped my swing about 6 inches too late and holed the heating oil tank I store diesel fuel in. Fortunately, it was above the level of the fuel...

Mad

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Nothing a little FlexSeal wouldn't fix anyway, right?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
My older eyes need a red dot sight for anything beyond 15 yards. I have one on my favorite range gun. A red dot is also easier and faster than using iron sights.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has 3 handguns with laser grips. She had a problem with pushing the gun just as she pulled the trigger, she couldn't see it, I could but could not convince her that she was doing it until I got her a handgun with laser grips. Now she can see the red dot and how it moves when she pulls the trigger.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
recovering ammoholic
Picture of jaybird86
posted Hide Post
G19 MOS for USPSA Carry Optics

---------------------------------
How's your cardio?
Nature, alas, made only one being out of you although there was material for a good man and a rogue.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 1014 | Location: Overrun in Northern VA | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Nah, just long guns right now.

I join 100% of serious US military personnel in having a RDS or scope equipped long gun.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I just added one on my Ruger 22/45 and I love it!

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
RDS for long guns. None for handguns..........for now.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I have three red dot sights, two Aimpoint T-1s and an Aimpoint T-2.

One Aimpoint T-1 is on a .300BLK AR-15. The Aimpoint T-2 is on a Tavor. For fast shooting with a rifle inside 50 yards I don't think there's any better sight.

The other Aimpoint T-1 is on a Browning Buckmark that is set up as a suppressor host. It used to have a Burris Fastfire on it, but then I had the extra Aimpoint lying around and figured why not. I'm slower to acquire the dot than I am to acquire iron sights - that's probably a matter of practice more than anything else - but especially on a pistol with so little recoil, once you've got the dot, the RDS makes shooting fast so easy it's like cheating.

Every shotgun I own is set up for bird hunting and/or clay games. None of them have sights, just the standard bead on the rib. If I got in to 3 gun or other tactical shotgun stuff and got a shotgun specifically for that, I'd almost certainly put a red dot on it.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I had one of those fancy built Zev Tech glocks with a trijicon RMR. I bought it because a friend needed money and it was cheap enough (still a hell of a lot of money for a glock). I ended up selling it for what I paid because I just couldnt get used to the red dot, and shot better with standard sights.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. Red messes with my fung-shway. Big Grin

Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it.

Posts: 1552 | Location: SF Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Red dot on my MKIII and AR. Burris fastfireIII on the Ruger, EoTech 512 on the AR.The AR is great, feels natural, the MKIII is not. Have to make a definate adjustment to pick up the dot. Took a few shots with a friends CZ-97 with a red dot. Hard to pick up the dot. I very much prefer the open sights for faster target acquisition. I'm sure that with a lot of practice it would become routine, but not ready to put one on my carry pistol or nightstand piece.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: refugee from california,

Where's the beer!

Posts: 475 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Red dots on all AR's including AR pistols. 1 shotgun and a trijicon on an M&P 9

I need to work more with the pistol. What I've observed is on the initial draw (especially if moving quickly) it is a lot easier for me to find the sights. Once that is done I locate the dot and use it from there.

For slower distance shots with the pistol it can't be beat.

Absolutely love them on any of my carbines.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post