SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vacuum Food Sealers...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vacuum Food Sealers... Login/Join 
#DrainTheSwamp
Picture of P229 357SIG Man
posted
Like everything else, I'm sure there are good ones and bad ones. Maybe I'd be wasting my money since our freezers are both frost free which reduces the shelf life of it's contents. Any recommendations?

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17
AR15 Spikes - Noveske - Daniel Defense Frankenbuild

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
There are better (and more expensive) ones out there, but I've always just used FoodSavers and consider them disposable as I usually replace them about every other year. They do work great, they just don't last very long.

Whichever one you choose, make sure to get one with the Mason jar sealer.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
We have an old Foodsaver unit we purchased from Costco over 15 years ago and it still works perfectly. We use it several times a week.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16668 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
We’ve used Food Savers for years with little complaint. Honestly, I am not aware of another vacuum sealer.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I use a Foodsaver with factory and aftermarket bags. Both kinds of bags seem to not hold vacuum for very long. I get a nice tight vacuum seal initially but the following day the tension is lost and there is a small amount of air in the bag. I'm not sure what the problem is as this has happened with 2 different machines and a couple of brands of bags.

When it works, I love it.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Foodsaver

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I have a cheap foodsaver. I use it to seal up my powder and primers. A couple if the bags lost their seal somwhere and got air in the bags.

I don't really hold this against them considering how big and odd shaped the boxes and bottles are.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
#DrainTheSwamp
Picture of P229 357SIG Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I use a Foodsaver with factory and aftermarket bags. Both kinds of bags seem to not hold vacuum for very long. I get a nice tight vacuum seal initially but the following day the tension is lost and there is a small amount of air in the bag. I'm not sure what the problem is as this has happened with 2 different machines and a couple of brands of bags.

When it works, I love it.

Bruce

Anyone else experiencing this with theirs?

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17
AR15 Spikes - Noveske - Daniel Defense Frankenbuild

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Foodsaver is pretty good. No complaints

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a vacmaster that works great. They make the units for cabelas also

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
This one is the first and only one I have ever owned. It's worked fine for the last few years. The only problem I have ever had was when vacuum sealing cuts of meat with bones on them the bones will eventually poke through the bag if moved around enough in the freezer over a long period.

If I needed another one for, I'd have no problem buying the exact same model again.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only problem I have ever had was when vacuum sealing cuts of meat with bones on them the bones will eventually poke through the bag if moved around enough in the freezer over a long period.

Wrapping with butcher paper first can help prevent that.And it gives something easier to write on to label the package.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Sigh. Something else I never knew I needed until I read about it here.....

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I have the Weston Pro 2300.

I've never had any kind of seal problem. It sucks the air out hard and makes a wide, solid seal.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GP81R2/

It is significantly more expensive than a Foodsaver but significantly less than a commercial chamber machine.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've had a Foodsaver for at least a decade, but it may be older than that.

I used the heck out of it in Alaska when I'd come back from a fishing trip and vacuum seal both meal size portions and party packs (i.e. fish fry size).

Currently, I use the heat seal (heat seal only no vacuum) the most often when I have only take a small portion out of something refrigerated (e.g. bagged lettuce mix) or frozen (e.g. frozen corn).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Vacmaster or Weston. Once you try one of these, you will NEVER use a Foodsaver again. Foodsavers are WEAK compared to these. Ours burned out, and we replaced it with a Weston. Trying to line things up in a Foodsaver can suck, depending on model. The Vacmasters and Westons have a transparent window that makes it super easy.

Granted, you WILL pay for it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I have the Weston Pro 2300.

I've never had any kind of seal problem. It sucks the air out hard and makes a wide, solid seal.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GP81R2/

It is significantly more expensive than a Foodsaver but significantly less than a commercial chamber machine.

I almost bought the Weston a few years back as they are great quality from everything I've heard, but didn't pull the trigger because it doesn't have a Mason jar attachment. That is a necessity for me.

ETA: After looking at their site, I may go for this one next.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used my FoodSaver for many, many years now with no complaints.....I love that thing. This year I had to order a new set of rubber gaskets because the vacuum inside the bag was slow, and at times, not happening. A new set of $3-4 rubber gaskets, and it works like new.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
I’ve had two FoodSavers and thought they were junk, neither one lasted a year and I hardly ever used them. I now have a Vacmaster Pro350 and it is awesome, I won’t be wasting my money on the FoodSavers anymore.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I have a Cabelas branded one that works well. Supposedly anything Cabelas branded carries a lifetime warranty if that means anything.

Posts: 3445 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post