SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rhino T-Loader experience?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rhino T-Loader experience? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Anybody have any experience with the Rhino T-Loader? In particular, for loading kayaks into a full size SUV with Thule Dock Glides?

I’m about to purchase one and any negative considerations appreciated.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It ain't cheap. Big Grin

I have one and really like it. I don't think I could load my kayak anymore without it.

Other than the price, the biggest down side to me is it's one more thing (one more thing to get out, put on, put away. And it's a tad awkward to store. I have it hanging from the rafters of my shed.). But as I said, I don't think I could load it without it.

When the 'yak was new and empty. I put a few dents in my SUV loading it. Now outfitted with all sorts of junk, and unwilling to empty it out completely, it weighs a ton.

I've also used it a couple times to move other items, extention ladders, lumber etc.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks -- Yea. I'm trying to pick up a used one. Even used, it's not cheap.

They have some similar things around (like Home Depot) - it's a ($60) T but doesn't fold down to assist like the Rhino. Not sure how important the leaning over aspect of the Rhino is.

Okay - I'll pick one up. I missed one chance today. I'll get the next one.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
IMO the leaning over part is the most important part. Makes it much easier putting it up and taking it down.

Otherwise I don't know what purpose it would serve, other than banging the kayak into it when I can't lift it high enough, rather than the rear hatch.

I was starting to make something like this https://www.storeyourboard.com.../?source=also_bought but with rollers, right before I bought the T rack. I know someone also makes/made a rack that pulls down a little in the rear to do sort of the same thing.

Looking around quick, there's several add on roller products. Thule makes racks with them built in. Malone makes some sort of add on sider.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post