SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your experience as a Cord Cutter?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your experience as a Cord Cutter? Login/Join 
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I dropped Frontier cable a few years ago and kept just the internet service. I'm on a 30/<something> plan and haven't had any bandwidth issues. I stream Amazon Prime and Netflix, plus Sling TV during football season (although I may replace that with another option this year). Besides the TV, I have one computer on a wired ethernet connection and two smartphones on wifi. I'll probably be adding a 2nd TV in another room and running it with a Roku box, also on wifi.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
We’ve gone through two or three iterations of cord cutting. First we used TiVo,then Apple TV, Firesticks, Roku. The main tv in our den has an Nvidia Shield on it and it’s awesome. Bedroom tv still has a roku ultra. Our speed from Charter is like 200mbs. Never any buffering. Btw, there’s a cord cutting channel on YouTube that’s pretty good, I forget the name of it...

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The only things we would miss by cutting cable would be Fox News and CSPAN.
We’re up to $170/month with Spectrum and something’s going to have to give.
Are there alternative streaming services that provide FNC?

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
We cut the cord probably 8 years ago. Took some time to fill the void with other means and activities, but now I do not miss it. I can find anything I want on several streaming sites at a fraction...a tiny fraction of what I was giving to Comcast every month.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I have FNC on my Sony PlayStation Vue, to answer a question above.

For those who still want to know about the cable replacement streaming services like Sony PS Vue, Hulu, ATT Now(DirecTV Now), Youtube TV, Sling TV,etc, most if not all have a 30 free trial. I had more than I listed above for 30 days, and I went with PS Vue.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I went with Hulu live. No regrets. Get Local networks (that I never watch) & Fox channels. No regrets..

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Same here we went with hulu, local channels and sports channels for mlb, college football.

My problem was getting my wife and daughter trained on how to use it and the remote.

Our internet is 40 mgb/sec and we have never had an issue. But we dont have 4k TVs either, and I'm not sure if that would effect it.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cut the cord after the AT&T & DirecTV acquisition/customer service debacle, though we'd been considering it for some time. We never watch live TV and we don't miss it. No news, no sports, nothing live.

Roku devices at each TV for Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Plex server access. The Plex server is an OTA DVR thanks to the Silicondust tuner on the network and it hosts our large collection of DVD/BluRay movies (I ripped them all) and recorded TV series. Thanks to "MeTV" I've now got every Perry Mason episode ever and the whole family enjoys it. Since Plex strips out commercials automatically, if we do watch a recorded TV show we never see the commercials. Kinda funny when somebody mentions, "Oh did you see that commercial for blah blah blah?" We haven't, and we love it.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are the only users of our internet connection (19 mbps download). Both her and I will stream two devices simultaneously (2 x 2 = 4 devices) and we never get any lag at all. We user Prime, Hulu, Netflix, and Youtube. Additionally I do a lot of remoting to my desktop at work. Never any delay.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
The only things we would miss by cutting cable would be Fox News and CSPAN.
We’re up to $170/month with Spectrum and something’s going to have to give.
Are there alternative streaming services that provide FNC?

With YouTube TV, we have Fox News.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted Hide Post
Just last week dumped Directv. Currently using WatchTV which is an ATT streaming service. Streaming with Firestick. It’s included with my cellphone plan so saving around $80/ month we were paying Directv. Has around 30 channels but includes pretty much everything we watched anyway.

Posts: 597 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
300Mb internet, but I don't have a bandwidth cap so I don't bother to track it. We have plenty of TV's and use Roku's as our streaming device of choice. We have subscriptions to Netflix and Amazon Prime, and will likely add the new Disney/Hulu/ESPN package when it comes online later this year. I get HBO on-and-off if they have a series I want to keep up with.

However, most of our video viewing is either YouTube, or DVDs/BluRays that I've ripped and put on a media server in our house.

I never watched much in the way of sports or cable news, so I didn't miss loosing that. Bottom line: we were worried before we did it, now we wouldn't even consider going back. Between having our own media library for movies, and having way more stuff we would like to do for fun around the house besides watch TV, we don't miss it at all. Our kids don't even remember a time when we had Cable TV.

Do it. You will be fine.

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Cut. Gigabit ethernet. 22 devices on Google mesh Wi-Fi. YouTube tv. No regrets.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
We got sick of the big bucks Spectrum bills. We went to DirectTVNow, now called AT&TNow. We got in at the beginning and got there GoBig pkg. Lots of channels, HBO, Fox News, business, sportstime, and local channels. Probably got 75 channels. But mostly watch local, TCM, AxxS, and TVLand. Only wish we had METV, GRIT. It’s aggravating when it buffers, but for the price I can put up with it. Oh,, we get 20 hrs of DVR service a month. Not bad for 55$ month. Use both ROKU and AppleTV.

Got Prime and Netflix too. I really like watching the old Dick Cavett interviews.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Now I have a couple Amazon Firesticks, Netflix and Comcast - using 5-600mb month out of the 1TB allowed without paying more $.

Not sure if your Question got answered, but I bet 1TB per month is enough for you based on what I use with a 4 person household. I also know that you know how to monitor your usage, so if you see it's starting to get high (it won't) then switch to that old collection of DVD's for the rest of the billing period. Smile

Does that help?

BTW, I only hit more than 1TB once -- that was the month I was testing my cloud backup so I downloaded all of it. I hope I never have to do that for real -- took forever Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I cut the cord 14 years ago and have literally never once regretted not having cable television to watch.

Before streaming services were reliable, I was using a Netflix DVD subscription and keeping a couple discs of television shows and movies in queue. I would also fill time, if necessary, with YouTube being pushed from a dekstop to my CRT television. It was crude, but it worked.

These days, I've got Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Might have been mentioned in the thread, but the content is compressed. Which can be bad when there are dark scenes with a lot of blacks. But usually it's unnoticeable.

I haven't had cable in a decade. Never looked back. The only weird part is my kids didn't know what they wanted for Christmas anymore, because the TV didn't tell them.

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Youtube has so much content that I couldn’t imagine paying to watch hollywood garbage.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I am thinking of ditching Comcast and going the Hulu route.

How do the Hulu local channels work? Do you set a location for local channels or does it detect your location?

I live in York, PA but work in VA. I would like to watch local York channels while in VA.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post