SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your experience as a Cord Cutter?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your experience as a Cord Cutter? Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I love being without regular cable TV. Hulu, Netflix, Sling - when there is something you want to watch, sign up for a month, bing it, then cancel when you are done.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
The Logitech Harmony Universal remotes are programmed using your computer and their website. It will control all your entertainment devices. You create multiple "activities" for, say, TV Den, TV Bedroom, Blu-Ray Den, OTA Den, Roku BR, etc. by going down a checklist for each activity you want to set up. Easy. Wife, who is tech phobic, uses it just fine. I use an older Harmony 650 (665 now) and it fits our needs. Other models will control devices that WiFi or Bluetooth in addition to infrared.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We see these guys at events selling their services/box, android box with app for FractionTV.

Basically you get three connections for $35 a month, local, sports, hundreds of channels, you can buy their box or run an app on your android box, tv if it will download the app, phone Ipad whatever you want.

He says it comes in very clear, he gets more channels and dropped cable. The advantage to FractionTV is they have a guide similar to cable/sat boxes for finding your shows.

https://fractiontv.com/#wrap-header

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daikyu:
I am thinking of ditching Comcast and going the Hulu route.

How do the Hulu local channels work? Do you set a location for local channels or does it detect your location?

I live in York, PA but work in VA. I would like to watch local York channels while in VA.

I have at&t tv now (formerly direct tv now). I get the local Cleveland channels. I was in Texas this past spring. I connected my fire stick from home but could not receive local channels.

Based on this result I would guess it could be an issue for you. A VPN could be a possible work around.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
quote:
Originally posted by daikyu:
I am thinking of ditching Comcast and going the Hulu route.

How do the Hulu local channels work? Do you set a location for local channels or does it detect your location?

I live in York, PA but work in VA. I would like to watch local York channels while in VA.

I have at&t tv now (formerly direct tv now). I get the local Cleveland channels. I was in Texas this past spring. I connected my fire stick from home but could not receive the Cleveland local channels.

Based on this result I would guess it could be an issue for you. A VPN could be a possible work around.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
10 years without cable. We don't even have a land line.

We have Amazon and Netflix.

$50 a month, no bandwidth cap.

Over ten years, I've saved thousands by not having cable. We'll never go back.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
We cut our cable TV several years ago. Prior to that, we were paying something ungodly like $160/month just for TV that we didn't watch all that often. We do still have cable internet, but our cable company bill dropped from like $240 to $80.

Now, we just pay for Netflix streaming. We also have Amazon Prime, which includes Amazon Prime Video along with a number of other perks. I will sometimes grab an additional one month at a time subscription for HBO or STARZ through Prime Video for $15 when there's something specific I want to watch on that premium channel (such as a new season of Game of Thrones or Outlander) and then cancel afterwards.

We have an Xbox One connected to the main living room TV and surround system, which is used as a our primary media center. It can play Blu-Ray disks and has apps for YouTube, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.

Other TVs, like in the bedroom and office, have Chromecasts, and we can cast video apps like YouTube, Netflix, and Amazon Prime to the TV from our smartphones.

We do use cheap OTA antennas for local news on the living room or bedroom TVs on occasion. But that's the only time we need to fiddle with any settings, to switch from Antenna to Xbox/Chromecast and back.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have Comcast 15 meg internet, 1tb of data allowed per month, for $9.95 a month. It’s plenty fast and we use about 600 to 700 gb of data per month with pretty heavy use.

We have Amazon Prime, Netflix and are experimenting with Sling TV. I’m going to experiment with Hulu next month to see which services I plan on keeping. I will probably binge as much as I want from each service and then switch to another service to keep content fresh.

Pluto TV, Crackle, Roku channel, tubi, Popcornflix and many others offer enough free content to last you years and years worth if you wanted.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
Cancelled Spectrum TV about 2 weeks ago. Kept their 200Mb internet.

Subscribed to AT&T TV Now MAX for $70/month, has 60+ channels including local channels, HBO and Cinemax.

Subscribed to Philo TV for $20/month. Has most all of the channels that we want that AT&T TV Now MAX does not have.

Subscribed to KlowdTV to get OANN. $5/mo

HBO GO, free with AT&T TV Now MAX since that package has HBO.

Pluto TV, Tubi TV and PBS app, all free.

Already had Netflix and Prime Video.

Have both Roku and FireTV devices. I like the Roku interface better.

So far, so good.

Posts: 1456 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post